Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

SUN #1271
pakrat67-68 is an unknown quantity at this point
NC is home but the South is our playground

Charlie & Carol Johnson here, bought our 1999 SunLine SR 280 in Nov of 2001 and it is still taking us places, had to have some major work after sitting for 3 years as we fought some hard health battles but we're getting back on the road again.

We started out in a tent in VA back in '73, went to Alaska on Uncle Sam's diime in Oct '73 and stayed there for 4 years, bought a Nomad in '75 which broght us back to CA in '77. Got rid of it in '78 and did without until '83 when we got a little, and I mean little Coleman pop-up. In '93 we got a much bigger Coleman pop-up to pull behind a Bronco II and had some good times with our kids at Lake Arrowhead and then Pirateland at Myrtle Beach for 8 years.

Then in '01 we bought the SunLine after looking at a lot of trailers, Wray Frazier let us have this one and we went from NC down to Cocoa Beach in Dec of '01, then over to Tampa and back to NC and have been going ever since.

As many of you might know I have been trying to find some rollers for my slide out for a while and have finally found some, the slide out system was made for my SunLine by a other company than the present maker in '99 so I ended up getting my rollers from NYC, ordered by Bearings & Drives. They came in last Friday and the trailer is supposed to be ready today, fingers crossed and I can pick it up tomorrow.

We have been camping is some form or fashion since I was 2 or 3 and since Carol was 6 months, the Great Smokie Mountains are our home base and like I said earlier we cover the South mainly in our travels these days. We camped in Alaska and down the Al-Can highway, across the US mid-west and down to home and then across the southern US out to California, our first time out in AK we had 3 feet of snow on the ground. We camped next to Eklutuna Lake and listened to the wolves snuffling around our trailer that night, wonderful times.

Our last 2 tow vehicles have been Ford F-150's which have done excellent jobs of towing our SunLine, each were 4 wheel drive and have taken me some good hunting and fishing places when not camping.

We hope to come to the next PA Meet & Greet.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the Club!!

The Smokies are one of my favorite places to visit. Great Smoky Mountain Railway, Unto these Hills, Biltmore Mansion, Pigeon Forge, and of course anywhere in the National Park. I can't wait to get the family down there in the next couple of years.

Glad you were able to find the parts for your trailer. Please post the contact info under the "Repairs and Maintenance" thread. There is a "sticky" post there titled "Parts Suppliers and Repair Facilities"

The Buttonwood Meet-n-Greet is a great time. Unfortunately for us, the last two years it has conflicted with the sons end-of-year Scouting activities.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

SUN #149
nasa42a
Lightbulb

Charlie & Carol.....

Glad to have you back on the road, and with us!

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Charlie & Carol

Welcome again and thanks for sharing your camping story with us. It is interesting to read about others camping adventures and even more special when they are Sunline adventures.

We are glad your health now allows you once again to go have fun in the camper. And yes if you can make one of the M & G’s they are even more special as you can put faces to the folks behind the keyboard. When you pull into a M & G we spot everyone’s camper or truck as we see them on the forum all the time and know the screen name. Then we discover the special people inside! A nice surprise and many of us have made great friends off line ever since.

Happy camping this season

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #5

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's nice to hear from another Sunline owner in the South!

We've camped all over the south east, but our FAVORITE places to visit have to be along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.

I suspect over the next couple of years we'll be concentrating our trips along that beautiful road and the mountains in NC and VA.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #6

SUN #1271
pakrat67-68 is an unknown quantity at this point
"It's nice to hear from another Sunline owner in the South!

We've camped all over the south east, but our FAVORITE places to visit have to be along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.

I suspect over the next couple of years we'll be concentrating our trips along that beautiful road and the mountains in NC and VA."

We live just 2 miles from the BRP and make many drives along it, especially in the summer, going up to Mt Mitchell and out to Cherokee often. You know the highest point along the Parkway is between Cherokee and the GSM Park, 6,0XX, can't remember the last 2 digits right now.

When we got our trailer back we're thinking of going up into VA with it and seeing what the upper part of the Parkway looks like. We often go to Mt Mitchell, Grandfather Mountain and along the Lynn Cove Viaduct when we are day tripping. Mostly we drop off the Parkway and come home thru Spruce Pine and Burnsville, sometimes stopping at Carolina Hemlocks to wade in the water or fish or picnic.