Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

SUN #3392
pugman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone

I would like say hello to all. I am the proud owner of a 2003 T-2499 it's in like new condition for being 9 years old. I'm so glad I found this forum when I was shopping around it made my decision on finding a used sunline.
Can not wait for spring now just hope the gas prices don't kill me . I'm going to have a lot of ???? in the next few weeks this web site has to be the place to be. I just got one ? this time. My tires on the camper are 205/75/15 but my spare tire is 205/75/14 why is that?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't recall what size tire/rim came on the 2499 from the factory, but I'm sure one of the guys (JohnB or Jon) will know. But, I'd say if the trailer has 15 inch tires on it, then I'd get a 15" rim/spare tire.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Should be 15" stock. Our first Sunline was like that, the dealer put on I guess what they had as a spare, or just read it wrong. As you can see, the sizes are very similar except the overall diameter, so it's easy for a dealer to misread along the way. A lot of dealers choose to put the spare tire kits on themselves because they can get the parts cheaper and make some money on it. Given those are like the two most common trailer tire sizes, it does surprise me how it still gets screwed up.

Chances are the bolt pattern on the rim will still be the same and it would work as a spare. I don't think it would hurt anything to run on it with one 14 and the others 15, but I wouldn't go long term like that, just because the tires will be getting uneven load balance and the one 14" could possibly get overloaded. But for getting you off the highway and to a tire store, it would be fine. Just make sure to check the bolt pattern to make sure it will work.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Pugman,

Congrats on your new coach and welcome to Sunline Owners Club!

The T2499 is a popular model. We used to have one before the T310SR came. Ours was a 2004 model.

Your spare, that 14" tire is not correct. It should of been a match to the 4 main tires. It got mixed up some how on you.

I looked up the ST 205/75R14, you did not mention the full tire number so I assumed you are on ST's and radial tires. Please check.

There is another piece of very important info, what load rating that 14" tire is as they make several load ratings in that size. Look on the side wall for what load capacity the tire can hold at full cold pressure and what is the pressure?

The ST205/75/R15 that came from Sunline was a C load range and could hold 1,820# at 50 psi which is the proper size for the 7,000# GVWR of your 2003 T2499.

The ST205/75/R14 comes in 4 ply tire at 1,480# at 35 psi (not good at all)
The ST205/75/R14 comes in 6 ply tire at 1,760# at 50 psi (still a concern)

The OD of the 2 tires (14 and 15") are different as well.

Another thing to check is the tire DOT date codes. See here on how to decode the month and year the tire was made. You could be on 9 year old tires.
Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

And look in the threads of the tires and the side wall for cracks. The cracks can be small to big but they are still cracks. It is common when trailer tires reach their 5 year old point that cracks can come. Some get lucky and they take a little longer and some get unlucky and they happen a lot sooner...

You can get a wide range of answers when trailer tires are suppose to be changed. I myself go by the 5 year time period and for sure if cracks are forming. Unless you really tow a lot, most times tires age out and never wear the thread down.

A tire blow out can cause a lot of damage on a TT and hopefully not upset the tow rig. Again some get lucky and only have some black marks to scrub to death to get off. Others are not so lucky and end up replacing the fender well, fixing the water vapor membrane and needing a new fender skirt.

I'm on the conservative side of towing, all tires including the spare get changed when the age/cracks come. With my luck I will be out in the boonies if a flat comes and I want to count on the spare to be as good as the rest.

Good luck, hope this helps and happy camping in your new coach.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #5

SUN #3392
Thanks all for your advice
The four main tires are new the dealer did a fresh inspection for me before I got the trailer. They are ST205/75/R15 c load range.
would this be the good spare for me to get ?LOADSTAR ST205/75D-15" Tire & Galvanized Rim, Load Range C
Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

SUN #3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
Thanks all for your advice
The four main tires are new the dealer did a fresh inspection for me before I got the trailer. They are ST205/75/R15 c load range.
would this be the good spare for me to get ?LOADSTAR ST205/75D-15" Tire & Galvanized Rim, Load Range C
opps not the galvanized rim this one LOADSTAR ST205/75D-15" Tire & Painted Rim, Load Range C
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #7

SUN #89
HI Pugman,

That tire you picked out is a bias ply tire. The 4 you listed where ST205/75/R15 c The R stands for radial. It is not good to mix radial and bias running at the same time. I do not know the exact technical reason, however I have heard and read to not mix the two.

What brand did your dealer put on? May be able to find a match.

Eastern Marine does sell the radial tires rim mounted as well. I have never bought tires from them but brake and axle parts and have had good service from them.

I do not know the Load Star brand. They do list the Goodyear Marathon. Odds are high they are both made in China. There are no more ST trailer tires made in North America that we have found here on the forum. Some have found the last remaining Goodyears made in the states but they now moved that manufacturing back to China as well. Getting trailer tires that one trusts has become a real problem.

The best you can do in the case of your spare is try and get as fresh a tire in date codes a you can, buy from someone you trust and check the air pressure every time you tow and do not overload the tires.

Some have gone the extra mile and converted over the LT tires. But that is all 5 tires. In your case you just need one good spare of the right match. In 2 years I will be faced with what brand do I buy...

John

Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #8

SUN #3392
Hay JohnB

My dealer installed carlisle brand tires I looked up there web site Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company it looks to me they are made in the usa.

I would like to get a new awning just need the fabric the arms are good I got an estimate at a local rv service shop for $550 to 600 for the fabric and install is that a good deal ? The dealer I got the rv from gave me a price of $1045.00 rv dealerships are just like car dealerships just a bunch of crooks

Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

SUN #89
Hi Pugman,

Carisle is a US manufacture, however I do not know that their ST radial is made here in the states. Look on your tire side wall. In the fine print will say what country the tire is made in. Curious to what it says. I would not be shocked it says Made in China.

The brand has gotten same really bad press in the past on trailer tires. Here is some of the bad press Carlisle Radial ST Utility Tire Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com

However here is some good press on a "New" trailer tire. Maybe they cleaned up their act. Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire Named Official Tire of American Bass Anglers | Get Hook'd Do not know if that is marketing hype or reality.

I myself really do not know on that brand. I have not heard much good but maybe they changed their ways, I really hope they have as we need some good ones to chose from. Again keep them aired up to max cold side wall pressure and check air every trip.

On the awning, let me look as I have some awning links stashed somewhere as my fabric is fraying up by the roof line and I may need a new one soon too. Be back on this. I know some others have posted on theirs so maybe they will chime in on the cost. And yes RV shop rates at $85 to $120/hr does not take long to add up a lot of bucks. If you can find a good independent repair guy that does quality work, they are the better ones.

John

Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

SUN #2174
suebobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Having spent over forty years selling cars and managing car dealerships I have never been called a crook. I have a wall full of customer service awards and "thank you" letters from repeat customers. That said, given a choice and doing research, I chose Carlisle. I couldn't be happier with the tires or the dealer.

missing 2005 Sunline 2075
suebobby is offline   Reply With Quote