Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #1

SUN #1005
chanchsirk
Helloooo from NJ (camper noobs)

Hello all! My wife and I are true noobs to owning a camper but just recently purchased a 1981 15SC. We are very excited for the upcoming season but first we need to perform a little tlc and learn a little about our camper. The outside seems to be in relatively good shape however it seems that both crank up vents have been leaking. The water damage seems minimal or at least easily repaired (I hope). Are these vents a standard size and how difficult is it to replace them? All the electrical is working, including the fridge which seems to be original to the camper. I haven't tried it on LP yet as I haven't found a manual for the heater and I removed the stove to work on the drawers underneath. I'm also looking for some information about the plumbing - it has a toilet but no shower and we don't know anything about how the system all works. Sorry for all the questions but we figured if it needs to get done right this would be the place to find it!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #2

SUN #296
RPierce
Congratulations on your new to you TT and welcome to the Sunline Club. You will find some very knowledgeable people on this forum that will be able to answer your questions.

Here is a link to a thread JohnB did on Roof Vents http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=1662

Very informative with pictures and step by step instructions on roof vent replacement.

Good luck and Happy Camping.

1994 Sunline Solaris T2670
2002 2500HD Chev D-max

https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1...gely005pm5.jpg
RPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the site. I bought a 1982 15.5SB, just slightly larger than yours. We've had it for three years and have been very happy with it. You are on the right trail to starting to bring it back to life, first the roof, second I did the frame, than I started replaceing rust screws with stainless.

If you go to files/other files you can see my post on preparing a 1982 15.5 SB.

The vent caps are really easy to replace. If the plastic caps need to be replaced they slide off with a few taps from a hammer. It's also possible for the metal frame to seperate in places from the roof. This is also easy to seal.

My unit came with a boat like shower, wear the whole bathroom got wet. I added a small shower to ours by stealing a foot or so from the dinette. This may or may not be possible in yours. Before we did this we simply used campground showers.

There is nothing that you will want to do that has not been done by others on this site and you'll find everyone glad to help. One of the neat things about these small rigs is that they can be towed by just about any car.

Three other thoughts, tires are important and frequently in poor condition on used trailers. Most people , no matter the tread level use tires for more than 5 years. Wheel bearings should be serviced, really easy to do.
Consider getting an anti-sway bar if it did not come with one.

Safe Travels,
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hi and welcome to the SOC and the wonderful woridl of sunline rvs what part of NJ are you from? my family and I do alot of camping in south jersey and my dad lives near Sea Isle city NJ , good luck with the camper and happy camping Dan
Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #5

SUN #1005
chanchsirk
Thanks for the warm welcome! Dan - we are in northern NJ - just outside NYC.
I just read through the post about the roof vent replacement - very informative and seemingly what I anticipated. However there seems to be two more smaller round vents on the roof that are cracked/broken - are they easily replaced/available? No rubber roof on our unit but someone had mentioned to me I should just seal the whole roof - anyone have any thoughts on that?
The plumbing I think will be my next search - our old apache popup didnt have any plumbing so this might get interesting! I'm sure we'll have a million questions when that time comes!

1988 Sunray T-220
'04 Ford F150
chanchsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Your roof vents are RV industry standard. If the leaks are in the plastic cover, replacements are available at any RV dealer and there are lot's of online sources.

The small round vents, if they are just a few inches in diameter are probably the covers for the vent stacks for the plumbing system. Standard stuff, available at any RV place or online. Gentle heat to loosen the caulk.

If the leak is around the perimeter of the frame of the vent where it is fastened to the roof, then your fix is more of a roof repair than a vent repair. Depending on the size and extent of the leak, you can caulk well before sealing the roof.

Sealing the metal roof comes up regularly. There are a bunch of detailed posts in Repairs and Maintenance about that. The short answer is repair and caulk, then seal the whole roof with a coat of mobile home roof paint, available at any hardware store, paint store or home improvement center. When I had metal roofed trailers, I bought a throw-away brush for this. On a 19 foot trailer, I did the seams twice and then the whole roof. There was a little bit left over of the gallon that I bought.

Almost every installed item in your Sunline is industry standard. The only things that aren't are the stuff that Sunline actually fabricated like cushions, cabinetry, etc. Even there, the hardware is standard stuff.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #7

SUN #1005
chanchsirk
the outer white plastic vent cover is actually missing a chunk of the corner and it seems they just never covered it. I covered it as soon as I parked it in my driveway and after a foot or so of snow falling and recently melting it is still dry around the vent. I'm guessing this means that replacing the vent wil cure this problem. There are other signs of past water damage in other parts of the trailer but again they all seem dry still so is it worth me sealing the whole roof after I replace the vent?

1988 Sunray T-220
'04 Ford F150
chanchsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
The white plastic vent cover (if you are referring to the ones that are about 14"x14") there are only a couple of different possible manufacturers. Replacements are readily available.

Here is one link. It is by no means the best price, but it gives you a good overview of what is out there:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...vent-lids/1444

If the whole assembly is shot, they are also readily available. JohnB made a wonderful post over in Repairs and Maintenance about a complete swap-out of the vents.

And after that, get the MaxxAirs:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ent-cover/1529
My local RV dealer stocks the white ones by the caseload and sells them for about $22 each. There are similar bargains everywhere.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote