Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

SUN #2530
PotterBound is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello to all!

Hello everyone,

My name is Aaron and I am new to the site, and a fairly new (in the last 3 years) to the TT community. My wife and I just purchased our newest trailer to us a few months ago. It's a 1986 Sunline Satillite 19' bumper pool, has been garage kept most of its life by an older couple. Some minor snags so far... found that the water heater tank must not have been drained properly one year and now has a hole in it, and the fridge is about in need of a recharge, and a few minor tears in the awning.... other then that she is cherry! We love going to the mountains (hens the PotterBound S.N.) and our old TT was a park model, so it was more like tenting in a hard tent then camping before. But now with this beauty we can have luxury while hunting or just getting away to ride the four wheelers.

A fellow member on here referred me to this site (actually he referred through my brother-in-law this last weekend, July 4th weekend), at a Ford IDI rally in PA. If that member sees my post let me know so I can give you credit for the referring.

I look forward to offering all I can to the community, and if this site is anything like the diesel site I belong to (oilburners.net), I really look forward to all the knowledge that is available and those that are always there to help answer questions or help with problem solving.

Let the good times roll!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Aaron, welcome to the club.

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the club......
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #4

SUN #2530
Thanks guys!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

SUN #1660
hardybus is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a nice rig, fix her up and make it your own. Oh, and we like pictures here, so, when you get a chance you can post some of your new baby in the Photo section. 1980's Sunlines rock, I got one too.
Previous-1984 Sunline F-1850 Fifth Wheel (Gooseneck Hitch)
Tow Vehicle- 2015 GMC Sierra Double Cab 4X4 3500HD Pickup
hardybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Aaron,

Glad you joined the group. You WILL find this site to be very friendly & helpful. I saw your Sunline at the IDI rally and it does look good for its' age. If/when you decide you'd like to have hot water it would not be a big job to put a water heater back in the trailer. About the awning, you can purchase "awning Repair Tape" and that might help you get a few more years of use out of your awning.

If you have any questions about your Sunline, just post them here, and it won't take long for you to receive some answers.

Hey, just found this pic of your Sunline at the IDI Rally.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

SUN #2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
Hi Aaron,

Glad you joined the group. You WILL find this site to be very friendly & helpful. I saw your Sunline at the IDI rally and it does look good for its' age. If/when you decide you'd like to have hot water it would not be a big job to put a water heater back in the trailer. About the awning, you can purchase "awning Repair Tape" and that might help you get a few more years of use out of your awning.

If you have any questions about your Sunline, just post them here, and it won't take long for you to receive some answers.

Kitty

Awesome, that's it (just my white truck is a little bigger). I will get some pictures of my rig in front soon as well. Thanks for the refer-ell Kitty, I will let the admins know you sent me this way. I have the water heater out and at a local metal shop for repair, he said no problem and around $30 - $40 to tig weld it back together. I'll check out that tape too. Is that something I should just run to one of my local RV supplier for?

In tow - 1986 Sunline Satillite 19', in almost mint condition
PotterBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #8

SUN #2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybus View Post
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a nice rig, fix her up and make it your own. Oh, and we like pictures here, so, when you get a chance you can post some of your new baby in the Photo section. 1980's Sunlines rock, I got one too.
Pictures will come in the near future.... but for now Kitty posted one of my TT with my brother-in-laws almost identical truck as tow rig.

Thanks Kitty!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #9

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the forum. As others have said you will find lots of great information here. You will also find everyone is very friendly and willing to help out with any questions you may have.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your rig when you get a chance to post them.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hey!!

What's your username on OB??? Mine's EMD_Driver.. To be honest, Kitty and I didn't recognize Jill, when we gave her the club card..

I'm glad you decided to join the SOC! (Even though you were already a member, without even knowing it)

As far as your awning goes... The bottom of the rear rail is loose. I tried running the lag screws in by hand, but there was nothing behind the siding for them to bite into. I didn't get a chance to see what you would need to do to fix it, but we're always "Fairly" close-by...

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #11

SUN #2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Hey!!

What's your username on OB??? Mine's EMD_Driver.. To be honest, Kitty and I didn't recognize Jill, when we gave her the club card..

I'm glad you decided to join the SOC! (Even though you were already a member, without even knowing it)

As far as your awning goes... The bottom of the rear rail is loose. I tried running the lag screws in by hand, but there was nothing behind the siding for them to bite into. I didn't get a chance to see what you would need to do to fix it, but we're always "Fairly" close-by...

Gary

My OB username is Camo85. Yeah the awning rail I believe I am going to have to pull the metal floor protection back and put some wood blocks in to lag to. We had this same problem on our old trailer and that was the simplest solution we came up with there. Other then that the actual awning is starting to tear on both ends a little, and there is one small slice where the door had hit at one time. Not worried about the slice so much but the ends I may take to an upholstery shop to see what they can do for me.

Please bare with me during the week for responding. I usually work out of town couple days a week and can't always get on a computer.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterBound View Post
My OB username is Camo85. Yeah the awning rail I believe I am going to have to pull the metal floor protection back and put some wood blocks in to lag to. We had this same problem on our old trailer and that was the simplest solution we came up with there. Other then that the actual awning is starting to tear on both ends a little, and there is one small slice where the door had hit at one time. Not worried about the slice so much but the ends I may take to an upholstery shop to see what they can do for me.

Please bare with me during the week for responding. I usually work out of town couple days a week and can't always get on a computer.
I've talked to you before!! Small world, huh?

When you fix the awning arm, please take and post some pics of the repair... It might be cheaper, for you to simply replace the awning fabric.. Let me know what size it is and I'll see what I can do.

BTW: Is the fridge still working?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #13

SUN #2530
Quote:
I've talked to you before!! Small world, huh?

When you fix the awning arm, please take and post some pics of the repair... It might be cheaper, for you to simply replace the awning fabric.. Let me know what size it is and I'll see what I can do.

BTW: Is the fridge still working?
I will make sure to take pics when I repair it. I will have to see if I can measure the awning this weekend and will let you know the size. You want the full width, put how do I measure the length(coming out from the trailer)? Measure from the strip that attaches on the trailer to where the strip is on the roller thing that rolls it out? Do we have PM's on here like OB? I haven't had time to explore the site enough to see yet, but it appears to be very similar to the one on OB.

And the fridge.... seems to be in need of an evac and refill I believe. The fridge is running and getting a little cool, but just barely. Not sure if I should pull the fridge again to take it somewhere or just take the whole camper somewhere? I asked while at one of my local RV shops around here while picking up a friends TT for them, and they said there shop rate for everything is something like $70+ for looking at or repairing anything. That just seems astronomical to me. I know how to do refrigeration, just don't have the machine to do it myself (as far as evac is concerned). Any suggestions on what path is best to take with it?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #14

SUN #2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
Hi Aaron,

Kitty

The water heater only costed $13.46 to get tig welded back together at my local metal shop!! Gonna put it back in tomorrow to see if there is anymore surprises I don't know about

Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterBound View Post
And the fridge.... seems to be in need of an evac and refill I believe. The fridge is running and getting a little cool, but just barely. Not sure if I should pull the fridge again to take it somewhere or just take the whole camper somewhere? I asked while at one of my local RV shops around here while picking up a friends TT for them, and they said there shop rate for everything is something like $70+ for looking at or repairing anything. That just seems astronomical to me. I know how to do refrigeration, just don't have the machine to do it myself (as far as evac is concerned). Any suggestions on what path is best to take with it?
These RV fridges work without a compressor. They actually have no moving parts.. I found a site that explains how they work.. You can check it out HERE If yours ends up being bad, we'll have to figure out the best option for you.. I never got to see it, so I don't know if there is any adjustment in it. Ours has a thermistor on the cooling fins inside the fridge. That gives us a bit of adjustment.

PM's are the same as OB, since this forum uses the same vBulletin software...

Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #16

SUN #2530
Quote:
These RV fridges work without a compressor. They actually have no moving parts.. I found a site that explains how they work.. You can check it out HERE If yours ends up being bad, we'll have to figure out the best option for you.. I never got to see it, so I don't know if there is any adjustment in it. Ours has a thermistor on the cooling fins inside the fridge. That gives us a bit of adjustment.

PM's are the same as OB, since this forum uses the same vBulletin software...
Ok, the linked worked this time! I will try to get you the info on the fridge tomorrow. I'll PM it to you so I don't keep adding onto this thread. Thanks for the help thus far!