Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

SUN #3230
hardware is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello from Lkwd Ohio-need help

Hello everyone,

My name is Geoff,

I live in Lakewood Ohio, right next to dreary Cleveland and looking to move to Sarasota Florida for the winter.

A friend of mine bought a house there a few years ago and said I could come down and park a travel trailer next to his garage for as long as I want.

I will probably be doing handyman jobs under the table and save my money to get my eye's fixed in Florida then fly to India to get my dental work done.

After that I plan on heading west to see the great out doors, ie. Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico Utah ect.

I have been looking at small travel trailers and campers as I will be towing with a 2000 VW Jetta GLX which is a four door six cylinder five speed manual.

I was looking at the scamps and scotty's but themn came across the Sunline 13.5 foot model in a classified

RVs: 1989 Sunline 13.5ft TRAVEL TRAILER - Los Angeles, California

I am really contemplating on buying this same type of Sunline since it's only 13.5 feet and it has everything, small, light weight, and even a shower!

I was looking at scamps, but they don't come with a shower mostly.

Do you think I would be able tow this well with my 6 cylinder Jetta?

Do you know if the 13.5' model has breaks?

Does anyone know the dry weight of the trailer and the tongue weight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Geoff from Ohio

Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Geoff,

I got to searching and found the following response to a towing question, from a fellow VW owner...

"Thank you for visiting the Volkswagen website. We appreciate your
inquiry regarding the capability of using your Volkswagen for towing
purposes.

Volkswagen does not recommend a passenger vehicle be used to tow.
Please note, if you wish to tow something behind your Volkswagen, you
may do so at your own risk.

For further assistance, please contact the Customer Care Center at
1-800-822-8987 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Thank you for your submission!

Wanda
Volktal"

My best suggestion, would be for you to call them and ask about your specific Jetta...

BTW: A 1989 T-1350 weighed in at 1,345lbs. empty and had a hitch weight of around 145lbs. Those weights were with the trailer totally empty. No food, cloths, etc.... Once you start adding necessities, the weights add up quickly!

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
They do make a hitch for your car and the 6 would have enough power, however it is a class 1 hitch (200# tongue weight and 2,000# draw bar) With any thing in the camper you'll be probably over 1,500 pretty quick (still with in the max weight) but you are going to have a time stopping it and I also think it will be a case of the tail wagging the dog. I do know people that have pulled that kind of weight with a Jetta but I wouldn't with mine.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Geoff,

Hope you find the right TT for your needs. I live in Florida and know from experience you would not be the first person to give up everything to come here and live in someone else's yard. What happens to many of them is neighbors complain, laws become enforced and the traveler is out on their own looking for the cheapest public campsite. Many housing developments have restrictions against parking TTs in yards for extended periods, or restrictions against their use as a second residence. Some places do not allow it at all while others will have a two week restriction. Your friend should make sure he can legally let you do what he says. You can check the local codes of where your going online and perhaps save wasted money and time.

Good luck with your adventure.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #5

SUN #3230
hardware is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the input of info. I just received my hitch and will be installing it tomorrow.

I purchased a Draw-Tite hitch model number 24748 Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 24748

I felt this was the sturdiest class one hitch made for my vehicle. I also bought a 1 7/8" and a 2" ball.

I hope to find a Sunline T-1350 for $2000 or lower but I will also consider a 13 ft. fiberglass tt such as the scamp or u-haul type.

I prefer the T-1350 due to it having electric breaks and and a small shower. I will only be adding #500 lbs. of personal gear and clothing.

If any of you happen to come across a t-1350, shot me an email, I would be really grateful.

Regards

Geoff
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #6

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like you are gonna go for it. Keep it safe as possible. Put as much stuff in the car near the front as you can. Drive slow!!!!!!!!!

I believe you can get a light non-wd hitch with the extra ball for a friction anti-sway bar. If you can budget for it, do that too.

Hopefully your friend doesn't live in one of the numerous hyper restrictive deed restricted communities. Putting a little trailer back away from the road shouldn't bother the normal community.

And please, drive slow, start slow and stop slow. Leave tons of following room between those in front of you. The V6 in the jetta will pull that weight pretty well but don't let it. Take it easy. Stay off major highways too, the cross wind when a semi passess you will throw you around.

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote