Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

SUN #4743
Ahkhira is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello from CT!

Hi all,

I'm new here. I recently acquired what I think is an '85 Sunline t-2100. I'm not quite sure though, and I will get photos this weekend (though she is covered up for winter). I have already found a wealth of information on here.

I plan to use the camper at all of the weekend horse shows I go to (driving back and forth was a pain in the patoot). I'm looking forward to having a shower at the end of a long and dusty day!

Thank you all in advance for the millions of stupid questions I am about to ask....

Jen

Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Jen! I'm sure your Sunline will be a great place to kick back after a long day at the stables. I've spent quite a bit of time in a park that ends up being the home base for many campers who work and compete in a large, national show (Horse Shows By the Bay). I've seen the routine they do- up before 7:00, out to the stables by 8, and usually returning sometime after 8 or 9 at night. I can imagine after a day like that, it would be great to have a place to crash! I'm still amazed that most at that show do that routine every day for 4-5 weeks, but I guess the stakes are high enough to make it worth it!

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #3

SUN #4353
WASA 1500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome, Ask away!!!
1997 E-150 4.2 v6
1976 F-150 4.9 I6
WASA 1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

SUN #4743
Thank you for the welcome!

I intend to get a LOT of photos of this camper. It is not in the best of exterior shape, but it is near to immaculate in the inside (yet I am dreading looking deeper- my auto body experience tells me that there are lurking issues).

I am looking forward to the project... phase I is simply getting the TT registered in CT. It is currently registered in RI, and since title laws differ (RI does not require titles, in fact REFUSES to issue titles to old vehicles) the first step is a temporary CT registration, an inspection, and a title search. I may have to drag it home on the RI plate and upgrade to electric brakes before much else happens, but there will be photos soon!

Jen
Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

SUN #4743
Finally got some photos of this camper. I still haven't found the VIN, and I wasn't spending a ton of time looking for it in 18 degree weather today. I'll have her home this week. I put an album up, and any comments are most helpful. I do think that this is a 1985 T-2100, but until I can confirm that for sure, does anyone have anything else to add?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Sunline Fan should be able to help with that 20th anniversary sticker to hone in on a year.

The hitch, need a better pic of the top of it but it looks like a pintal hook hitch plate. And if so, that hitch part is out of place. A pic of the top of it and we can tell better. You have WD bars which are right but no hitch head and shank to go with them.

Yes the inside looks good. The hard hit in the front right side "might" have shifted the interior corner of the camper. For sure keep that area covered up so water does not get in until the weather breaks and you can see what your into.

Good luck and welcome!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

SUN #4743
Thanks John.

I have no idea what that hitch goes to! The camper is still sitting at the farm where I work, and there is no telling if that pintal belongs to anything we currently have. I am buying it from my boss, and she never used the draw bars.

The hit in the right front is recent- one of the teenagers on the farm had some trouble hitching, and I think that it looks worse than it is (OK, I'm hoping!) She's staying under cover for now. My husband is very confidant that we can fix it up in no time.

My first concern is replacing tires and wheels. They seem to be original, and in bad shape. Once I get her home to the workshop, I have to prep her for a CT inspection, and that means brake work and wiring. The original wiring seems mostly intact and not too hard to repair. Someone spliced into it and bypassed the brakes (?!?) and hooked it to lights only. I'm not sure if that means that the brakes are toast, or that someone was towing it with a TV that couldn't handle the brake hookup.

This will be an adventure for sure, and thanks for the reply.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jen,

Wow, that looks like a very nice original '85 interior! I really like that blue because it's different from the usual orange/brown that was available and common at the time. This one doesn't look too bad with today's styles.

It is a 1985 T-2100, good investigative work!

Your VIN search put me into 3rd degree search mode, but I think I finally see it. It looks like it's mostly hidden behind the breakaway cable mechanism on the left side of the tongue. It is painted over brown as well. The breakaway is usually just mounted with one bolt, so you should be able to swing it up out of the way a little in order to read the VIN. Normally the VIN tags are farther back than this, underneath the propane bottles.

It looks like you're missing quite a few light covers, but otherwise everything inside looks pretty original and clean. You should be able to find replacement light covers to fit at your local RV dealer or maybe online if you get some dimensions. If you go to a dealer, take one with you as there are a few different sizes. I'd plan to replace all of them because they get very brittle with age and heat from the bulbs, and the new ones will be white compared to the old yellowed ones. You can get replacement clearance lights (like the one that broke on the front corner) that are the exact same style as well.

It almost looks like once you fix the structure of the front corner, you could probably straighten the metal out enough and reuse it without it looking too bad. I think it would look worse if you put new metal that isn't the same pattern and that doesn't have striping on it.

Oh, I'm also digging the original white plastic/fiberglass battery box on the front! You don't see many of those anymore, and they were very much period to this time!

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #9

SUN #4743
Thanks Sunline Fan!

I am loving this camper so far. It really needs a good scrubbing. I'm hoping to replace the light covers this spring.

I'll look for the VIN when I dive into the brakes. I also have quite a few original owner's manuals included in this deal, and if anyone wants scans of them, I'd be happy to send them along (that's a rainy day project though).

I bought this camper for a song, and I think I'm one of the lucky ones. I hope to have her for a long time.

Thanks for all the help and support. Everyone here is wonderful!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkhira View Post
Thanks John.

I have no idea what that hitch goes to! The camper is still sitting at the farm where I work, and there is no telling if that pintal belongs to anything we currently have. I am buying it from my boss, and she never used the draw bars.
OK your response now is starting to add up.

This pic

Looks like the Pintal hook hitch part. The farm would of used this on big heavy trailers however it can work on a normal ball too. Looks like this

And the mounting shank

And they may have used that to tow the camper with the latch lifted.

This pic of yours

These big round bars (WD bars) are part of the weight distribution (WD) hitch. I can tell the snap up brackets mounted on the A frame are Reese brand, the WD bars may be a Drawtite, Husky or other standard round bar hitch part. See if they have the hitch head and shank laying around that goes with those bars. Give them the pintal for the WD hitch head.

The part you looking for looks like this. Here is the entire thing put together. I can't find and image of an older Drawtite but it is similar to this.

Here the WD hitch head

Here is the shank and the head that is "some where" that fits in the back of the truck

If they can find these parts laying around it can help if you are using the camper with a small truck. You can always buy them elsewhere but doing a swap will help.

The brakes, heads up on wire. It may look good but may be super brittle. You may need to rewire all of it which is not that hard to do on a little trailer. If your state requires TT's to be inspected, they will for sure be looking to see the brakes work before passing inspection. And pending the weight rating and your state, requires brakes to be legal. Hopefully the brakes themselves are just unhooked and maybe rusted but can be cleaned up. Parts pending what vintage/brand you have have been complex on the older Hayes brakes. There are posts here by others on this. Some have had the linings redone and was able to run again. Others had to convert the entire axles over. Not a show stopper, just something to work through.

Good luck. Fixing these old campers up can be fun. (and work...) The payoff is going and having a good time in them.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #11

SUN #4743
Thanks a ton for the photos, John! It will be most helpful when I dive into the scrapheap to see if it is still there.

I do have a friend who said he can loan me his WD hitch. I think I'll take him up on that offer to tow it home. I may have to dig deep- I seem to remember having an older horse trailer with a similar system, and I may have the parts myself. (Now to find them...)

Thanks for the heads up on the brakes. The wiring doesn't scare me (yet!) but the axle mess may. Lucky for me, there is a Tractor Supply in town that always has things like full axles and a ton of brake kits on the shelf. I've done a NASTY brake conversion before (had to convert the horse trailer from a surge brake to an electric brake), and I was very relieved to find that this one shouldn't be as bad.

Lucky for me, the TV is my Dodge Ram 1500. It has handled many a heavy load, and this is also the perfect excuse to spruce up the truck too. The truck has had a recent suspension and u-joint replacement, and I am thinking it's time to do the truck brakes and tires too. I plan on replacing the all terrain 16" wheels on the truck with a more suitable 17" street tire. Hopefully, the truck will ride better after that.

Thanks again! The help is most appreciated!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #12

SUN #2427
JTurner is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jen -

Your camper is beautiful! We also have a 1985, ours is a 1550, and we have the same name!!

I like your blue interior. Mine is rust, which seems to have been one of the popular colors at the time, and was also in excellent condition. We "restored" ours as much as possible to original, but we are missing the original refrigerator, it was replaced by a previous owner. I got a lot of help from this website regarding replacing stuff, got some original knobs and hubcaps from members here. Everyone is very helpful.

Happy camping,

Jenny
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #13

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Jen,

Welcome! Looks like a nice camper - great idea to use it as a "hotel" at horse shows. Make sure to post pixs when you're "restify-ing" it. We just got our Sunline this summer and the people here are very helpful.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

SUN #4743
Thanks all! This is going to be a fun project. My husband is now likes the idea of going camping and visiting an area golf course while I'm at the horse show. (If he thinks he's going golfing without me though....)

My husband and I have restored several vintage vehicles. I've had many campers while I was growing up, and I LOVE to go camping. Husband hasn't had much camping experience, but he will now!

Since I'm quite the geek, there will be a lot of photos. I can't wait to dive into this.

The folks here are more than wonderful. I was very pleased to find that there is a group that loves these campers as much as some of the vintage car clubs out there love their cars. I think I'm very lucky to have stumbled into a group such as this.

If the New England winter plays it's part and cooperates, I'm hoping to have my first camping outing in early June. Of course, available time and finances will play a part in this project too, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the restoration aspect goes smoothly.

Thanks again all. You have really made me feel at home here.

Jen
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #15

SUN #3415
Ham Radio Op is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jen,

Welcome to the group. My wife Nancy and I owned a 1992 T-2251 for 20 years and loved it. Just last spring, we traded the 2251 for our present 2007 T-2553. I still miss the 2251, but we are learning to appreciate the 2553, too. I think you'll enjoy your new to you Sunline. Again, welcome.

Paul and Nancy
Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #16

SUN #4743
Thanks Paul and Nancy!

Right now,the weather here is about to get nasty, so there will be no camper fun for me this weekend. I am loving the camper, and hoping that New England winter will end soon so I can get to work on it!