Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

SUN #11319
Ebeth999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello and I have questions :-D

Hello! I'm in search of my first RV and recently heard about the Sunline.
I'm flying solo with one small/mediumish middle aged dog. Would like to travel across country ideally and wouldn't mind a bit of extra space. (Just because I'm not sleeping 8 doesn't mean I don't wish to be able to walk around inside sometimes.) Eventually, want a unit that can go from Florida to Seattle and all parts in between of course.
I currently have a Kia Sportage (could haul a small open trailer) and a gigantic 8 cyclinder Dodge Durango, both of which might be on their last legs so I may need to get an older trailer and invest in a newer, hauling-capable truck or large SUV, etc. I was wondering, in general, what you guys think of this model. It has a broken/no awning, but I am really on a budget and this is apparently very clean, otherwise asking $3,900. (Even that's a stretch at this point.) I kind of like the layout and the two doors of this model on just a 24' unit...(tad bit claustrophobic here) ....i could do without the couch i think, but will play that one by ear as it goes....Presumably no leaks, odors or other problems.
1999 Sunline Solaris T-2453. 24' length. 4150 lb dry weight

Thanks

Old 06-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

SUN #11319
More Details Solaris T-2453

I realize I'm not posting pics, but it looks really nice...my questions are, do you have experience with this model or know of things I should ask about look for?
this is the descripton from owner, I realize I'm not putting pics, but I don't want someone else to scoop it up! : 1999 Sunline Solaris T-2453. 24' length. 4150 lb dry weight. Sleeps 3-4. Camper queen, 3 bedroom closets, Jack knife sofa, dual operation refrigerator, dual operation water heater, 3 burner stove, oven, microwave, exhaust hood, scissor leveling jacks, large pantry, 20" flat screen tv, adjustable table, under carriage led lighting, led lighting inside coach, shower, toilet, aux shower, a/c, furnace, tons of storage. 32 gal. fresh water tank. Good tires. No awning currently. This camper is in awesome shape. If you are not familiar with the Sunline brand, check them out online. They were built right.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

SUN #11319
2001 dodge durango towing guidelines

Below shows the 2001 guidelines for my vehicle to tow. anybody want to give a crash course?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beth rv dodge pull 1.jpg (47.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg beth rv dodge pull 2.jpg (53.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks like you should be ok towing with the Durango, although you did say it was on its way out. The stress of towing may push it over the edge. Lol. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will weigh in.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Ebeth999,

That is a nice floor plan camper.

You asked what to look for in the camper. A water infection. See this post I just did tonight to another new member asking the same thing. Just because you cannot see water stains or smell mildew in the camper, there is more to this.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...tml#post148780

Another note. Your sellers ad stated this "Good tires". When we are talking travel trailer tires, the rules change as to what is good, and the amount of tread left is not a good indication. First to look for is the age of all 5 tires. Yes, including the spare tire.

There is a mandated 4 digit DOT date code on the sidewalls of the tire. It is only on one side, so it may be on the inside and you have to crawl under to find it. See here on how to read the code https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Trailer tires are recommended to be changed every 5 years. This is rubber break down issue, not due to mileage or wear which can also cause tire replacement. If the owner swears his 5 or 7 year old tires are Good as the tread is really deep, he is not familiar with the issues that create trailer tire failures. This is different then auto tires.

Putting 5 new tires on the camper from the get go can be over $500.

Your older Durango will have issues towing this camper across the USA. Not necessarily in the pulling area, but being able to handle the loaded weight of the camper. The camper when loaded can reach 5,500# which is the GVWR of the camper. The 4,150# number is the dry (empty) weight with no cargo, no LP gas, no battery or any extra options included above the dry weight. The camper can easily go over 5,000# when you load it even with light gear. Be looking for a truck to handle the full 5,500# of the limits of the camper with a potential loaded tongue weight of 700# to possibly 800#. That camper starts with 13% loaded tongue weight which is good for stable towing, but the truck has to be able to hold it up.

If you look at the sticker you posted, Dodge lists trailer weight as 4,650#. That means with an empty truck, 1, 150LB driver the largest trailer they recommend is 4,650#. If you add more gear in the truck, you have to take that amount of weight off the truck tow rating. And that is before checking all the axle ratings and the receiver hitch in the back if they can handle the campers loaded tongue weight. If you get that camper, you could very well be looking for a more capable truck.

Hope this helps and glad to explain more as needed.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, 24', solaris t-2453