Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #1

SUN #256
Bobo
First time Sunline owner

Just took delivery this month on a 2006 2499. Upgraded from a Coleman popup. Finally thanks to the weather, we got to go through and try everything out. Some minor cosmetic stuff and found out the hard way that the water pump discharge line was not hooked up. Any suggestions on what to watch for, ie; problem areas, maintainence suggestions ?

Glad to be a part of an exclusive family. I have never heard of a trailer having a fan club before.

Thank you

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #2

SUN #215
Poor Man Campin'
Congratulations on your upgrade! You'll find many helpful and knowlegable people here; it will not take you long to feel at 'home' on this site.

Someone with more experience will offer you better advice. My particular situation dictates I inspect my roof regularly. I purchased a used unit that had a water leak over the bathroom. It has since been repaired, but I check it about as often as my tires.

Check your tires - I looked at mine in the fall and throughout the winter and they were fine. While de-winterizing it, I took it for a ride to slosh the water in the tanks and check the brakes. A short 5 mile round-trip home and I discovered bulge in a tire that the steel belts separated during my drive. It didn't blow, but I'm replacing a couple of tires this week.

I'm learning that you can't be too careful! Good luck and happy camping!

Poor Man Campin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi neighbor,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Sunline.

You’ll love it, it’s a great quality trailer.

Is your 2006 Sunline new off the lot or did you buy it used?
I can’t think of anything specific to watch out for. We’ve owned 3 Sunlines and like you traded up from a Coleman pop-up, but that was about 10 years ago. Never had a major problem with any of them.

There are plenty of great people here on this forum that can answer just about any question you may have. So don’t hesitate to ask.

Enjoy your summer camping in your new Sunline.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #4

SUN #256
Bobo
Hey PT,

We bought it new out of Ballantyne. Been sitting on the lot for about a year accordind to the manufacture date. So far, the only obvious problems have been the discharge line from the water pump was not connected and I have a speaker rattling on the stereo. Some of the wall tape has peeled back and there is some brown colored stains on the ceiling. Possibly from sitting for so long? Some other minor adjustments to be done. Guess I'll find out how goog the dealer will back the warranty they gave.

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #5

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
We've been dealing with Ballantyne for 10 years or so and we've always have gotten great service from them.

I don't think you'll have any problems dealing with them.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 AM   #6

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Welcome! You should check out our Meet and Greet!
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...opic.php?t=354
We would love to have you!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #7

SUN #256
Bobo
Tinybluetj,
Thanks for the invite. We can't make it this year. We've reserved our vacation time to repeat our honeymoon trip from last year. Starting off at Association Island Resort at Henderson Harbor, NY and then continuing up to the Thousand Islands. Our sites back right up to the water's edge, one of the reasons why we chose the 2499, that HUGE rear window.
We also want to stay somewhat local until we see how the trailer tows. Just a little worried because of the small V-8 in the truck.
Have loads of fun at the meet and greet. I'll keep an eye open for next years event.

Happy camping
Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Bobo

Congrats on your new camper!! And welcome to the club.

I have your same camper, just 2 years older. We have number of fellow T2499 owners here on the Club. The unique thing about the Solaris models is, they are all made from the same quality, and mostly all the same appliances, just the floor plan changes.

To your question about anything to look out for on the camper itself, well no nothing really comes to mind. However there is something unique to the T2499 layout that you may not have known. The tongue weight can easily approach 1,000# when loaded with camping gear and gain another 200# when you fill it with fresh water. An in my case it was even more. 1,200# loaded no water and 1,400# loaded with water.

This is not a bad thing, in fact it is a good thing for low anti sway characteristics. Sunline does a good job by design in creating a good tongue weight for stable towing.

The key is, realizing it and making sure you have a WD hitch, spring bars and TV receiver rated to handle that weight. And then have enough truck to hold it up.

As far as the rest of the camper, well I have been though almost all of it to understand most everything I can.

If and when you have questions on something, ask away. We have a good cross technical know how group of happy campers here on Sunline Club and all glad to help in any way we can, all you have to do is, ask.

So, enjoy that new camper.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #9

SUN #256
Bobo
I guess that I will find out if I chose the right set up or not. I went with the Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1000# bars. She sat level at the dealership on my half ton Chevy. Pulled home about twenty miles away, we had no problems. Of course it was empty and I stayed off the x-way until I get the feel for her. It sure wasn't the old Coleman. Never even got above 50. Plans for the holiday weekends are to stay fairly local so our second honeymoon will be the big test.

Happy camping
Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Old 04-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #10

SUN #225
Mark
Do you happen to have the tow package on your Chevy?

If not, you should make sure you have a tranny cooler. I think your 4.8 may struggle a bit under that weight.

The VERY nice people I met last week in WVA told me that there old 4.8 struggled with a 80's 1950. You shve a bit more weight with your your coach.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Bobo

Your ½ ton Chevy is it a pickup or a SUV? The pickup can handle the heavier tongue better than the SUV. The SUV just plain weighs more by the truck itself and the PU is sprung heavier.

If and when you get into this and need any help, let me know. I have had some experience on GM’s suspension and how WD affects them.

When you pulled your camper home from the dealer it was empty and then you where no where near your 1,000# bar ratings.

It’s when you load the camper and where you can put it that raises up the tongue weight. I know on the T2499 that when filling the 45 gallon fresh tank, the tongue increases 200# by itself. Towing with fresh water is a choice and pending where you camp is not needed. Unless you have a sulfur water park or some other not great water source.

That nice beautiful front pass thru cargo hole we have allows us to add a lot of weight in there. In my case I had 308# of “stuff” that in that hole, added 206# to the tongue. Basically for every 1 # you add in the cargo hole, it adds 0.669# to tongue weight.

I know 308# of stuff sounds like a lot, but it isn’t really. It all adds up 20#, + 15# + 22# etc.

See the pics here of mine. That is 308# of stuff on the floor. The propane and WD bars are not part of that.

And looking in the hole

This is the way the camper is built.

Once you know the distance from the ball and axles we can calculate where the weight will add or not to tongue weight. The way the T2499 is made, the kitchen is over the axle which is the heaviest part. A good design. And as you move forward in the camper, the bath cabinet, the storage under the bed, the bed room cabinets. All that storage area adds some level to tongue weight. The closer to the front you get, the higher the % to the tongue.

Now behind the axles we have some over head cabinets and the TV cabinet. There we add more gear. But we can’t add much as the rear dining area and great big rear window area just does not have much storage to offset the weight we can add forward of the axles.

Key point in all this, just realize it. Your stuff and my stuff will be different and how we load the camper and what we put in, affects it more on this layout as most of the bigger storage areas are forward of the axles.

You may be able to manage to a 1,000# tongue, but towing to camp with fresh water most likely not.

If you need any more help on this, let me know. I have measured mine about 6 ways from Tuesday… and glad to share. I even wrote a few letters to Sunline on this to make sure I was not out in left field as my TT dealer gave me 800# bars on this camper and said I would be just fine with lot’s to spare. But I wasn’t. And I learned a whole lot in the process.

Happy camping. Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #12

SUN #256
Bobo
My TV is a Siverado PU ext. cab regular bed. 2 WD with the tow package. I learned a long time ago not to fill the water tank before leaving. Besides, we use bottled water for cooking and drinking. I only plan on putting light objects in the front crossthrough like chairs and a small hibachi style grill. The side garage worked out perfect for all my cords, hoses, chocks and blocks. That compartment is one that I did not see on many other trailers. I like having my set up equipment all together. Keeps me out of DW's hair while she does her thing inside.

Happy camping
Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499