Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

SUN #960
slogan
A quick hello and thank you

Some of you may recall that I had posted a inquiry for decision assistance between the Sunline T1950 and Que over in the Que and Solaris Travel Trailer forums. You guys really stepped up and helped me and my wife come to the right decision for us. I know that either trailer would have been a great experience but felt the T1950 would fit our needs for a longer duration. Now that I have officially taken ownership of it, I thought I should take the time to introduce myself and again to say thanks for all that provided much needed advice and input on that decision. We are really looking forward to using it and meeting many campers (Sunline as well as others) in the near future. We took ownership of it on Friday Jan.15th and already took our first camping trip in it. We believe we may have spoiled ourselves with the State Park that we stayed in (Topsail Hill State Park in the Destin Fl. area), it was spectacular to say the least. We have already made reservations for the week of May 8th to go back there and even got the same camp site. The State Park really stays booked up, even with 155 camp sites it gets booked quickly and for good reason. I highly recommend it even though I am a "Green Horn" with only one trip under my belt.

Thanks again and look forward to many camping days ahead.

Scott & Melissa Logan
2005 Sunline T1950

Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Scott & Melissa,

Welcome to the group and CONGRATS on your 1950 purchase. I have always heard great things about Topsail, but have never had the chance to experience it first hand. As you already know, "IF" you have any questions, please feel free to get them answered here.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #3

SUN #763
MOKID
Topsail SP

Scott

We will be in Panama City the first two weeks of March and then move over to Topsail SP for a few days. Topsail is one of the nicest SP if not the nicest SP. I am curious how your first camping trip went. Did you have any problems pulling and how is the trailer working for you. It probably took us 6 months to get all of the little quirks figured out and to get the camper just the way we want it. We really look forward to this summer as all we have to do now is hook up and head out. Enjoy your trips.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #4

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Another great Florida park is Henderson Beach State Park in Destin, all wooded sites right behind the sugar fine sand beach.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #5

SUN #960
slogan
Hello Jim and Mary,

The trip overall went really well. The camping was really great and relaxing for our first trip. Knock on wood, I did not have any issues with setting up the camper at the site except that when we finally arrived it was pitch dark, so backing in was a bit of a chore but not too bad. We had a very nice couple next door from Canada that helped us out getting the TT in the site. They left before we could exchange contact information which I really regret because we really had alot in common. They just retired and was touring the US in their very first TT that they purchased in October of last year in Ohio. Super couple and I really wish I could have gotten to know them better.

The State Park is absolutely perfect. Me and my wife discussed this while there and on the way back that we really spoiled ourselves on our first trip. The bar has been set really high by this trip but I am sure that each State Park/camp ground has their own positives. We are defintely looking forward to getting back down there in May when the weather will be a bit warmer and before the crowds are in full swing.

As far as pulling the T1950, no issues with the Jeep Grand Cherokee other than gas mileage I am still trying to figure out if I need to be riding in Tow/Haul mode all the time or just when the speeds are below 50 mph or in hilly areas. Me riding in Tow/Haul mode probably did not help my MPG at all. So now I am looking into the "best" or "recommended" driving practices for the Jeep. One other issue I ran into was the local RV dealer in the Panama City area. They were nice people just did not prepare for what I might need. I contacted them several times the week prior to coming down and the week prior to that discussing what I was doing. I informed them that I was driving down from Greenville, SC to look/buy a TT and that the weight distribution hitch was coming with it. I also informed them that I may need to adjust the hitch head to the correct height and that it may be necessary to buy a shank in the event that the existing shank did not provide the necessary drop. Their response was not to worry, they have them in stock. Well, got there and needed to have a shank with more drop and NO SHANK did they have in stock. They adjusted the existing shank as far down as they could and informed me that the TT is not ideal but is safe to drive. So I parted ways and went straight to the State Park. No issues other than the Jeep feeling a bit smooshy from the TT being a bit higher in the tongue which I think put more tongue weight on the Jeep causing the front end to be a bit high and lite but it did fine. I now have a new shank on order and it is supposed to be here on Friday of this week. Hopefully I'll be able to tell a big difference in the way the Jeep pulls, drives and handles with the TT behind it. One other issue I did have was the Universal Clip on Mirrors. The ones I purchased did not work well for me. They are the Universal Dual XLR mirrors with two different angles of view. With the OEM mirror and then the two other mirrors it got a bit confusing and aggravating at first with them being in such close proximity. I got a bit better with them but never really comfortable, so I now have another set on order that only have a single view which should be sufficient. Other than that all went very well. The trailer I believe will be jusf fine for me and my wife, we were very comfortable and cozy in this one and like it alot.

I guess I should have abbreviated my response but the excitment is hard to contain.

Oh and Thanks Kitty for the kind welcome. This is a great group and hope to eventually meet as many of you as possible. Maybe we'll meet at Topsail one day!!!

Thanks Honda03842 for the suggestion on Henderson Beach State Park. I'll definitely look it over while down there in May to see about staying there as well one day. I wonder if they book up like Topsail.

Scott
Old 01-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Scott,

I recall that Henderson Beach only has 60 sites so its wise to reserve ahead. It has a great beach.

What kind of mileage did you get towing the 1950?
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #7

SUN #960
slogan
I believe the MPG averaged out to be about 10 to 13 MPG running about 65 mph. Does that sound about right?

https://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/43...425x425Q85.jpg
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #8

SUN #763
MOKID
henderson beach

Does Henderson Beach SP have sewer hookups. I was under the impression that Topsail was the only SP in that area that had sewer hookups.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #9

SUN #960
slogan
I just got off the Henderson Beach SP web site and they do not have sewer hookups at the campsites, dump station only.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #10

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogan
I believe the MPG averaged out to be about 10 to 13 MPG running about 65 mph. Does that sound about right?
That sounds about right. I got around 11 towing my 2363 with my Jeep GC. I got slightly better with overdrive off. Even though the RPM was higher, it was at a more efficient range.

Congrats on the "new" Sunline.

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #11

SUN #960
slogan
Thanks Gene, we are looking forward to using it. We both wish we had done this a lot sooner.