Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

SUN #7657
Tinker is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 T-1950 Rear Floor Rot

Hello to everyone, my name is Chris and I believe I'm a "Noob"! I recently bought a 2002 Sunline T-1950. We bought it less than a week ago. 7/31/2015. Seems to be in great overall condition. Or so we thought. I guess when you buy used the dealer doesn't have to disclose all the defects. Everything I saw on the lot was minor. When I got it home though, I realized someone had attempted to repair the floor in the bathroom. Floor didn't match, difference in height, and a wood transition between bathroom and living space. Job wasn't terrible, and I suppose it fixed the problem at the time. BUT, the problem that led up to noticing it needed floor repair in the bathroom went unnoticed. Apparently for awhile. Now I found that the rear frame that the bumper is attached to is only held up by 3 bolts instead of 4. Bumper appears to be sagging in the corner where the shower is. I looked in the back hatch below the bed and the floor is soft from the rear in to about 6 inches. Probably the rear ledger board is rotted, from a little past center all the way over to the left side under the shower. Shower and drain are fine. I surmise he had a toilet leak or a toilet supply line leak and it wicked it's way across to the rear corner and part way under back portion of the bed. Now, the wife and I are looking for ANY advice or perhaps a direction to go. Maybe someone has a friend that would want to tackle this repair job, perhaps there is a repair shop to go to? I'm pretty handy, but I'm afraid to bite off more than I can chew. LOL. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Again, A BIG HELLO to everyone!!!

Old 08-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Tinker, welcome to the forum

Here is a link I had bookmarked because it is a 2363 like mine. While it is not the same as your 1950, it may give a little insight as to what one member here did to resolve his problem. Maybe it will help a little.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...pair-9066.html

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

SUN #7657
Floor rot

Thats a great article. Upon further inspection I have found that the previous owner neglected roof maintenance. Completely. So I found that some of the lap seal separated in the corner opposite the shower, ran down the wall, made the wallpaper loose and wavy. I believe the back wall has to come off and I also have to deal with the shower enclosure at some point. So it's gonna be a labor intensive job but it has to be done. Thanks again for your information.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tinker,

If you have normal wood working tools, and a little know how to use them, and... time anything on these campers can be fixed. That is one of the good things of the way they are built before the age of foam core walls/floors etc.

Many here have done major open heart surgery on their water infected campers and have a nice camper now. The restorations are a true labor of love but the camping rewards after go a long way.

Create a post in the repairs forum and post pics of questions and or progress. We will chime in to help as we can.

Best of luck to you

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Here is a T1950 rear rot fix with pics. Can help show some of what you are getting into

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ice-15851.html

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #6

SUN #6969
Bubbabc is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure you inspect the rear corners of the roof. Sunlines had a habit of leaking there especially if they were not sealed and maintained. If the corners look wrinkled or the bud board has become soft and only the rubber material is covering the area you have a leak. The water runs down the wall and rots the floor. If that's the case you may also have rot in your rear wall and possibly a damaged rafter as well. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #7

SUN #7657
T-1950 Floor Rot

Just want to give a big thank you to everyone who has given there time so far in the form of replies and articles. The outside corner opposite the shower was where I discovered that the dicor had separated and left a hole for rain to flow down the rear of the inside wall on it's way to the bottom ledger board. That coupled with a toilet supply leak, has rotted the floor partially in the bathroom as well. Previous owner had put a plywood"patch" over the rot in the bathroom and covered the piece with single square stick down tiles. Have taken a lot of pic's so far. Have taken the floor and toilet out already. Need to learn how to transfer pic's to this site though. Help with that would be greatly appreciated also. Looks like the rot is contained to rear corner, corner wall joist, and roughly 10 inches in from the back. Also the bathroom floor from the toilet to the shower and rearward. Will keep up with the updates. Please share this message with everyone unless it will do it itself.