Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #1

SUN #5167
sthill is an unknown quantity at this point
T-330sr slide issue

Hi all, im sure this topic has been discussed many times ...
The front slide with my couch and dinette is not sliding out completely on the left .
When looking from inside i put my hand behind the molding and run from left to right the left has a gap about 3" and the right there is no gap at all...

The bedroom slideout is fine even all around..
What do i do..i have no idea how to go about correcting this issue, this is my first camper
Thanks in advance for any help

Old 06-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi sthill

Will try to help but need more info on what year/slide system you have.

Can you give us the manufacturing date of the camper and what model year camper? The manufacturing date should be on the VIN plate on the front left outside of the camper if you have a some what newer camper.

Any chance of some pictures of the problem and the slide mechanism? Take as many as you can, they all help tell us what you have and what your are up against.

Sunline changed the brand/style of the slide out drive system over the years and how to adjust is different between them. If you have any info from your manual or stickers on anything that can help point us to the type of slide drive helps.

Sunline had used the Barker slide drive system up to somewhere in the 2001 to 2002 ish time frame, “we think” by the 2003 all the way to 2007 they used a Lippert system.

If you are a full 3” off from the left to the right when the slide is in or out, odds are high you may have jumped time, some bolts loosened up or you shear a drive pin connection the master drive rack to the slave rack.

Tell us this much too, is this large gap when the slide is “in” (closed up ready to tow), or when it is “out” ( the slide is out ready to camp in it) Or both?

This helps tell us a lot. The slides have a sequence in which to adjust them and an adjustment for one symptom can create other effects not intuitively realized.

Also tell us, did you just get the camper and find the problem or have you had it a long time, it used to work fine and now you have this problem? Trying to figure out it is just went out of adjustment during an “event” or this may have been around a long time and never addressed by a prior owner. Some of these big campers get parked on a permanent site and not towed. The slides never move in or out and then a new owner buys them and finds the problem. Towing creates vibration that can loosen things up, sitting and never moving creates other issues. These are all puzzle pieces of trying to help you figure out what is not working right with your Sunny.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #3

SUN #89
See this post it may help you figure out which slide system your looks like.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...lem-12844.html

There are pictures of the Lippert Rack and Pinnion system and links/pics to the Barker system uses a rack and pinion but made in a different way.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

SUN #5167
uploadfromtaptalk1370605884830.jpg

Its a 2003 t330sr..
The problem seems to be when the slide is out ready to use ...seems to close fine...
I just purchased the camper a few weeks ago..
Its parked at a seasonal at a campground and has been since it was new ,only road use it has was to transport it there from pa by previous owner...

The slide were never left open, the previous owner told me never leave open always close when we leave after weekend ..

Ill get under to get pics of the slide this weekend and ill get pics of inside also...

I did notice the tires on that side of camper are very low and need to be filled ..could that have anything to do with the issue?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

SUN #89
With a build date of Dec 2002 odds are high yours is a Lippert. The same as mine.

Low tire pressure will not cause this.

When you go look or unless you know, find out which side is 3" short from touching the wall when the slide is out

Look under the slide. This is the master rack side. See if any of those nuts are loose and which ones. Pending which one is loose can point to which part of the problem.

This is not a Sunline, but the same Lippert master rack

And has a motor drive on it that looks like this

OR the slave rack. Looks like this.

Under the camper it has a square shaft drive slaved off the master rack like this

Take good pics of the problem, inside if you can, outside and underneath the slide. And take pic of both master and slave rack system. That way we can confrim what you have and what to tell youi to look for to adjust.

Here is the manual for the Lippert. The only issue is it does not tell you the Sunline application but it does help.
http://www.lippertrepairparts.com/pd...ideout-Web.pdf

Heads up, if you adjust anything, mark where it is now so you can come back to it. Some adjustments are straight forward, other very UN intuitive and you could be adjusting the wrong item trying to make a problem better.

Good luck and hope this helps

If you know already which rack is not working right and the slide not sealing up to the wall, respond that and I'll check early in the morning before I head out. If I knew that, which rack, it is a lot easier to explain what to look
for.

John

Old 06-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #6

SUN #5167
Ill try to get under to get pics next trip to camper ..this is inside from top..

Left top corner from inside with slide out ready to use
uploadfromtaptalk1370912855374.jpg

This is top right from inside
uploadfromtaptalk1370912923897.jpg

The second pic right side as u can see sits flush ...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

SUN #89
Yes for sure it is not closing, the 2 slide racks under the camper at not traveling the same. Since you said it closed correct just does not open right like this, there is excess play in the rack drive. This can be simple or not so simple pending a few things.

Do you know which drive rack under the camper is on the end that does not extend out correctly? The master drive rack or the slave rack?

Pending which it is points to different things to look for

John

Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #8

SUN #5167
By looking at this pic you posted..
uploadfromtaptalk1370948404747.jpg

Im pretty sure this is what it looks like on the side that is opening up properly...
Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

SUN #5167
I have not made it back up to my camper ..work seems to get in the way alot lol..but when i go back.ill go under and look for sure
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #10

SUN #89
Understand, work has been non stop since Friday... mini plant maintenance shutdown and it has used up all available time.

Let me know what you find and some pics and I'll type to what you are actually seeing.

Good luck

Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #11

SUN #5167
Thanks john ...i hope it turns out to be a reasonably easy fix
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #12

SUN #89
Hi sthill,

Just checking in,

Been busy and heading out on a long camping trip in early July so just checking in if you where able to confirm it was the master rack or the slave rack and any pics?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #13

SUN #5167
Hey john, not yet i havent been able to get out there, i have a house full right now...my wifes family came in from canada till the 29th ...so ill probably get up the holiday weekend and check it out...

Have a good camping trip ..ill get pics posted and talk to you after your trip
Old 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #14

SUN #5167
uploadfromtaptalk1373319715816.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373319733142.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373319752872.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373319777817.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373319811017.jpg
These are pics of the under side of the slide that does not open up all the way
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #15

SUN #89
Your pics are from the slave rack end.

Did you by any chance take pics of the other end too? The master rack end.

This area: If so please post. Before we send you hunting want to make sure this master rack end is all tight like it should be. Also any pictures of the square shaft end at the master rack side will help too. Looking for a real loose and wobbly bolt from square shaft to master rack gear drive.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #16

SUN #5167
uploadfromtaptalk1373366180633.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373366200532.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373366226148.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373366290885.jpg

This is the pics of the side of the slide that opens properly...
Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #17

SUN #89
Your pics are good to talk to. I will draw on them and type more later. Need to confirm some info. See comments inserted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthill View Post

The front slide with my couch and dinette is not sliding out completely on the left .Is left the front slide wall (towards the tow ball coupler) or back wall (towards the back of the camper) of the camper? Do not know which way you are looking at left and right. The inside out or outside in.

When looking from inside i put my hand behind the molding and run from left to right the left has a gap about 3" and the right there is no gap at all...
Is the gap on the front or back wall of the camper?
By your pics, the slave rack end of the slide is the end that is not sealing to the wall when the slide is out. Please confirm is the slave rack towards the front or back of your camper?

Please confrim, the slide does close up tight to the side of the camper on both the front and back ends walls? Yes/no?

Thanks

Be back later tonight.

John

Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #18

SUN #5167
The first set of pics is the side of slide out that is not opening properly...it is the slave side and it is towards middle of camper...the slide closes properly and seals tight
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #19

SUN #89
Hi Scott,

I found a pic of your camper to back into the front or rear of the camper. You stated, or I heard (read) the slave rack is where the problem is and it is near the middle of the camper.

Quote:
The first set of pics is the side of slide out that is not opening properly...it is the slave side and it is towards middle of camper...the slide closes properly and seals tight
This puts the master rack up front by the A frame.

I picked up 3 things from your message;

1. It is the slave end that is not sealing up when the slide is extended out

2. You say the slide closes correct and seals up tight, I'm assuming this is both ends, front and middle of the camper. Please speak up if this is not the case as it can change a lot of what I am thinking the issue might be.

3. The slave rack is in the middle of the camper

Here is the camper

What you area describing has some concern to it on which end is actually wrong. And not being there to see it , I'll attempt to describe it and use your pic's for you to check this out. This may be an easy fix or one that takes a bit more.

At this point we do not 100% know if the center end of the slide (slave rack) is extending out far enough OR the front master rack end is stopping short not allowing the slave drive to complete it's needed stroke? All you see is the center end of the slide stopping short and it looks like it is short of stroke. Unless there is play, looseness, wear in the system OR one side is over stroking, both racks move the same distance in and out. We now have to sort out which is right or not. And then, are you just plan out of phase between slave and master rack. Something had to move or be adjusted wrong to be ways out of phase, but it happens.

We "might" be over compressing on the way in making it look right that we are closing OK but not really.

What you are describing can come from a few things and we need to verify each first before we make any adjustment. Will start here. Extend the slide out until it stops on it own. You may head clunk clunk clunk of the clunk tripping on the way out. This is normal.

1. The slave drive rack has wear in the square shaft drive. This wear can be on either end of the square shaft. The sq shaft drives the pinnion shaft by a bolt, that bolt or hole can be worn and create lost motion. Using an adjustable wrench or and open end wrench, both of a good size, place one on the square shaft and try and rock it back and forth. Make sure power is off to the 12 volts so the shaft does not start up by accident from some one or thing.

See this pic on the slave end. Look for any wiggle between the square shaft and the pinion gear.

Move over to the master rack end and rock the shaft and do the same thing

Both ends should be dead tight. It is rocks a good 10 plus degrees need to figure out if the bolt is worn, the hole is worn. This wear will cause lost motion. Even tightening the nut a little can take up play.

2. Next assuming this was OK, Let's look for the slave drive end plate to have slipped location. See this pic of yours

That slave arm end has slots on the top of it and it is an adjustment to phase both the left and right side. If it looks like that end slipped outward away from the camper it could show up appearing short in travel. Look for paint or rust witness marks of it not being in the original location or all the way to the end of the slots on top. Here is what the slots look like. If it has slipped, and may have been a while ago before you ever had it, may need to move it back to where it use to be by the witness marks. It does not have to be in the middle like this pic, but it needs to be tight and where it use to be. It is never moved, then OK to the next step

3. Next area is you some how jumped mechanical time. This is really hard to do and a very remote possibility as it would have to had jumped gear teeth. Need to rule it in or out. Look at the rack gear teeth, both the slave rack and master rack. If you jumped a tooth something may be damaged like a chiped gear tooth OR signs that the rack use to move more then it use to on the way out. Rust witness lines help tell if the gear teeth use to stop at a different longer place.

4. Now assuming you made it this far and found no issue, we need to make sure someone did not adjust the master rack end too short on the way out causing less stroke on the slave end. Remember if there is no play in the square shaft drive, you are out out phase with the salve rack totally or someone has the master rack end set stopping too short. There is only 1 pic here so it is hard to tell if someone moved the nut 2 and nylok nut a long tome ago. Again look for dirt witness lines. This is your master rack end

And here is out of the manual

Jam nut 2 and the nylock nut push and pull the master rack into the correct position. Then the master rack turns the square shaft that drives the slave rack.

And then there is the stop can. The stop can, jam nut 2 and the nylock nut all have to be in the correct location to each other.

So we are going to start with the extend out stroke stop location first. Have someone run the slide in a foot or 2. You being outside, look at the slide flange on the master rack end on the inside of the camper. Now extend the slide out. When the motor clutch trips and you take your finger off the button, you have reached full mechanical out of the slide actuator. The slide motor cannot go out any more. Did the slide seal stop good agasint the camper? Not super hard compressed and not to short. May have to go inside now and try it too.

If the out motion of the master rack is too short by the time you run out of stroke, the master rack has to be moved out. If you are over compressing really hard the inner bulb seal, then the slide is too much out. By moving the nylock nut and nut 2 in or out you are moving the entire end of the master rack and slide in or out. This needs to be right. The goal is you reach end of actuatr stroke just when the slide seal is nice and firmly snug, not trying to push the wall real hard.

Then we check/set the retract in stroke and stop can.

Have someone close the slide while you watch the stop can and the master rack end slide flange seal up agasint the side of the camper. As the slide closes, the stop can and the slide seal flange should come to rest compressed on the side of the camper at the same exact time. If anything the stop can is 1/32 or slightly less from touching the frame. Do this a few times if needed to confirm. You are suppose to close up, seal off the slide flange to the camper and then the motor stops at the same time the stop can just about kisses the frame. This is what the Lippert service tech told me when I quizzed him on this.

If the stop can is stopping short, means it hits the frame before the slide flange sealed up, the stop can is wrong and needs to be move out to allow more stroke.

Once you confirm the master rack is set correct, it may or may not be, you are left with the slave rack phasing.

5. Assuming you made it this far and you still have a big gap on the slave drive end when the slide it out, go down to the master rack square shaft drive end under the camper

You are now going to phase the slave rack to the master rack with the slide extended out. Look at the square shaft, you see a hole in the square every 90 degrees. You take the bolt out and 90 degrees at a time rotate the square shaft 1 hole and put the bolt back in and try it. When you rotate the square shaft, the slide is going to move you can see it.

Run the slide in and out and see if you are gaining. You should be. You knew the master rack end was set correct to the slide motor actuator, you know there is no play in the square shaft holes/bolts and the slave rack support end has not moved. You may need to go 1 more hole

When adjusting a slide always do small moves at a time. Make sure you adjust in sequence and fully understand each adjustment before doing it, as the adjustments are not always intuitive.

This should gain you something. Mark with a sharpie where you are at before adjusting so you can go back to it if needed.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #20

SUN #89
Also, once you get the slide working, need to put some lube on those gear teeth and rollers. You do not tow it and it is rusting badly sitting. It will go in and out a lot easier once lubed