Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Slide Prop Rods (Transit Bars)

Fellow Slide Campers

My TT came with these 2 slide prop rods. The Sunline manual says you must use these or it will void the warranty. I asked the dealer when I bought this TT I needed their top service mechanic to show me all the in’s and out of the slide mechanism underneath. And he did then we went in side and I asked him what the 2 rods where for. He said to stabilize the top of the slide while going down the rod.

So I asked, how do they stay in? He said you just stick them up in there and wedge them in. OK I said, well Ok show me, I’m from Ohio…. So he tried to wedge them in and after a few try’s of falling out or could not get them in, he did get them to stay. Well OK I’ll try it.

OK what is the deal here??? Every trip I have 1 or 2 on the ground. These things look like EMT conduit with 2 rubber feet end on them that keep cutting thru the rubber.

I can see the need and I agree on the need, but before I make my own version that will not fall out, what am I missing? What do you do?

Here is what I have.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #2

SUN #307
purplesuebug
John,
Although I did not get these with my TT, They remind me of the old shower curtain rods. Do they by chance twist to adjust like those curtain rods did. If not, that may be an idea to steal when you make your own!! Marshall

purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Message content deleted by author.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey John.

While I don't own a slide unit, actually I never have (gun shy of moving "room" while going down the road, I guess ) Is it possible that your slide bars are meant to be installed on the "top" of your slide room rignt near each end? This would prohibit them from falling down. I have seen other brands with the bars installed that way.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #5

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty
Hey John.

While I don't own a slide unit, actually I never have (gun shy of moving "room" while going down the road, I guess ) Is it possible that your slide bars are meant to be installed on the "top" of your slide room right near each end? This would prohibit them from falling down. I have seen other brands with the bars installed that way.

Kitty
John a friends of ours has a Sunnybrook and like Kitty said - his go above the slide room roof......just a thought.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, in looking at your pics John, I think if you place the bars at the top of your room right near the edge, the end that goes against the non-moving wall would probably rest against the solid "WHITE" part of the wall instead of against your patterned wallboard.

Hope this helps.

Kitty

"If ya get fustrated with where to put the bars, just give me the T310 and I'll deal with it for ya "
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #7

SUN #123
John,

It was late last night and I wasn't thinking straight. Yes, I would recommend putting the rods above the slide. I hope they do stay in place up there, but I think there's more of a chance than on the sides.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #8

SUN #307
purplesuebug
Duh............I feel like an idiot!!!! Yeah it was late last night here also!!! The top would work great..............as long as there is a lip up there. I wouldn't put it directly against the back of the molding. There is not much holding that stuff on...................Just ask Sue!!!!! She has popped ours off already on one side. Didn't move the stuff stored beside the room before she started moving it out. But like I said, it didn't take much. Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #9

SUN #123
Message content deleted by author.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
The F-304 is our second Sunline with slide rooms, and I usually don't even bother with the crappy little "lock rods". We've never had any problem either. Our T-295SR had the rods like Jons picture showed, and the 304 has the shower curtain rods. I've found that the rods don't usually stay in place, and when they do, they're easy to forget. I've tried to put the room out with the rods in. Also in the 304 you practically need an 8 foot ladder to reach the top of the slide. Some other manufacturers use a cable and pulley system for their slides, where the rods would definately be needed. Sunline uses a gear and track method, where in my opinion the rods arn't really needed. That's just my opinion.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #11

SUN #89
Thanks folks.

Where to put these things…..

As part of my terms of sale I stated with the dealer that all I needed for my PDI was to have their top slide expert show me everything about this slide mechanism. He said sure, no problem. So at first he went in and told the service manager the request, or he told him something, what exactly I do not know…. The service manager comes out and says Hi, how can I help you. Your salesmen said you want to know how to operate the slide. And he proceeds to show me the push button on the wall…. I said, I know that part, I want to know how to rebuild the slide drive mechanism, the overload clutch, adjust the slide if needed, annual maintenance, etc. He say, OH, he did tell me that… So he went in and his lead mechanic came out that is suppose to be Mr. slide expert.

We spent a good 40 minutes talking and pointing under the camper on how each slide system worked, adjusted, etc. And he proceeded to talk about the ‘early years” when slides first came out. They had all kinds of issues with slide mechanisms but now after 10 to 12 years of building them the newer ones are good. We talked about the new ones with guide rollers on frame and Lipert who makes them for Sunline. This dealer use to be a Sunline dealer for a long time. This gent sounded sincere and what he said made mechanical sense.

Then we went inside. I said what do you do with these 2 rods…. He said well they go on top or the side sometimes where ever they fit solid. He said make sure they fit up on this heavy metal part of the slide. He was pointing to the aluminum edge that pushed up against the inside of the camper and makes the seal when the slide is all the way out.

I asked what about the wall. The wall does have heavy reinforcement near the area where the slide seal connects to. If you move over enough then you are into Luan air space….

He started on top and the bar was too long and would not go so he went to the side. It fell out on him about 3 times until he found “the right” place. And the other end in the middle of the camper is a space challenge as the wall is so close. Again the rod was too long for the top, so again the side was used. So I “thought” this was a common practice as the slide expert showed me how to do this. But as I think back, he fiddled with it too for 3 times to get it to work.

After seeing what Sunline fan had from years ago, if they are original equipment, where it is close to a load jack (stabilizer from a straight truck) to this “thing” I have is the other end of the extreme.

It seems Happy Campers had the same setup I have so this must have been what the factory use to send out in 2004.

Now to the top of the side, yes on the top it would not fall to the floor, but it could still fall out of place and drop down on the roof top. Gravity still is down, just not as far….

The shower rod, h’mm there is a thought, but the load of this 21 foot slide, might be a bit much for it. So it is something in between a load jack and a shower rod. I like the telescoping action of the shower rod, just it needs to be stronger.

I can see if the TT bounces hard the top can wiggle which may be what makes this rubber stopper rod I have fall out. This high center of gravity wiggle is something I think I need to keep in check on this size large slide.

If anyone else have something different or ideas please post. You all have already “sparked” my creative ideas on the next possible solution. So THANKS!!

I’ll post my solution once I create it. Surprising with all the after market stuff, for sale, nothing showed up.

OH and forgetting to take them out. So far we are paranoid about this. Almost like leaving the antenna up…. So for now since the rods fall out most of the time, we collect both after each trip and put then right on the floor next to the switch so we know they are out. As we have the slide out at times while still fiddling with the camper often. It is still a new toy to us.

Thanks again and keep the good ideas coming.

John

Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #12

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty

"If ya get fustrated with where to put the bars, just give me the T310 and I'll deal with it for ya "
Kitty on your offer to just give er up….ah nope. I know that nice truck of yours can pull her just fine but we truly love this thing to much. Each weekend now that the weather is too rotten to go with camping we get bummed. Cindy even more then me…. So she must really like it. We winter camp as long as it is not raining, snowing, the wind blowing your head off, at least gets up in the high 30’s to low 40’s during the day. Well the last 4 weeks have not cooperated. Yet tonight on the way home from work, it is 63 out… .

BUT, there is always a but… I do have a deal for you. I think your Sunny needs a friend. I have her cousin here in the shed sleeping warm for the winter, I think you need to come pick her up and have her move in next to yours. You could be a 2 T2499 family You already know where to put everything inside

LOL, I, must admit, you made me laugh reading your note. Thanks

John

PS Frustration is an opportunity for another upgrade….

Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #13

SUN #89
Here is an update.

I took the good advice from fellow Sunline Club members and tried these prop rods on top.

I did have to pull on the slide top to get it in as it was almost too long. The slide flexed towards me and I put them in. And to my surprise, for 2 camping trips now they have stayed in while towing.

The rubber stoppers are about cut thru the way this bumper over pipe deal is, but at least they stay in for the moment until I can come up with something a little better or at least fix the bumpers from cutting through.

Thanks for the help. I guess the service tech you told me, they have to go on the side as he could not get them on top, has been away from Sunline longer then he thought. They dropped the Sunline brand about a year before they closed.

Here is where they are now and so far so good.

Thanks

John

Old 01-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #14

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey John

What's interesting is that our 2005 slide room did not come with those bars.

After we got the trailer, I called LaRue to ask if I needed similar type rods for our slide room. She said I didn't need them that the slide room mechanism had a locking feature to eliminated the need for such rods.

I'm wondering if Sunline changes the mechanisms used for the slide between the 2004 and 2005 models. Our trailer was built in Aug. of 2004.

Maybe Sunline Fan knows - what do you think Jon, do you know if Sunline changed slide room mechanisms during this time frame?

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #15

SUN #89
Hutch

H’mm, Larue said no bars?? My 2004 model was built in Oct of 2003. I’ll have to go check the Sunline manual on Sunday to see what exactly is says. It’s in the camper now and it’s a wee bit cold out tonight to go get it. I remember reading in the Sunline manual that if the prop rods where not use, all warranty would be voided.

I also happen to have the Lippert manual for slide mechanism I believe is in my camper. Here is the web site http://www.lci1.com/service_owners_m..._slideouts.htm

Here is the PDF of the manual. It’s 1.6 meg so it will take a minute to load. http://www.lci1.com/Service%20Owners...ideout-Web.pdf This manual sure looks like my system . I do not know exactly as it did not come in the Sunline manual, I found it after myself.

On page 5, it talks about installing and removing “transit bars” that I believe we call prop rods. And they throw in the “if so equipped” Which seams to mean some units use them some don’t even though the Lippert system could be the same.

I know on mine I can push/pull the top of the slide when it is in if I push hard enough. Like say 50 to 75# of force at the very top, it will wiggle. It is how I actually was able to put the prop rods in on the top. Seeing what I have, I can see why a pre-caution is to use them. I’m now curious on yours and if it is built different. Your slide must be as big as mine so the weight would be about the same. Something we can look at the Meet and Greet and compare notes.

What does your Sunline manual say? Does it say to use prop rods? Mine was very specific to use them. Did yours come with them? If yours did come with them then why would Larue say they are not needed? To save money they would not supply them I would think.

Now the question comes up, Who else with a 2005 and newer slide model ever received them from Sunline?

Thanks

John

Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #16

SUN #98
John,

It looks like we have the same slide room mechanism.

The Lippert manual is the same I have, but my Sunline did not come with any transit bars.

I'm wondering if the difference is that I have a front located slide and your slide is located in the rear of the trailer. Different vibrations and forces acting on the slide?

Where in the Sunline manual did you see the information on the prop rods? I'll have to check mine.

Next time I'm at our trailer, I'll also check to see if I can push / pull the top like you described.

Hutch
Old 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #17

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch

Snip....

Where in the Sunline manual did you see the information on the prop rods? I'll have to check mine.

Next time I'm at our trailer, I'll also check to see if I can push / pull the top like you described.

Hutch
Hutch,

In my manual, in the back, it has 1 Sunline page on the slide and then 8 pages (4 actual printed front and back) from what looks like Lippert. The Lippert info is dated November 2002. A large portion of the Lippert is about “Caution!!!” To make sure you take transport bars out, make sure nothing is stuck on the way in, nothing is out side on the way out etc. etc. It is more of an owners operation manual then a adjust rebuild manual like what was on line. Again I’m assuming Lippert made the lower slide mechanism and Sunline added the final assembly making them the final intergrater.

Now to the page Sunline had. Here is it. I scanned it and had to put it in 3 pics so we can read it on the screen. Key point is the * on the bottom. “* Reference Sunline Coach Production Technicians January 2002.”

Mine was made in Oct, 2003, yours August 2004, only a year apart. When slides in general first came on campers in the industry probably some 15 years ago, they had a host of issues until they figured out how to build then. And I’m sure the transit bars where a must then. I do not know if Sunline Fans transit bar is original or not but that thing is a load jack… compared to the 2 pieces of thin wall EMT conduit with a rubber stoppers I have.

What I don’t know is, is yours actually built any different then mine or Sunline maybe had enough history with the latest design to declare they did not need them??. Good question. And then to your point, mine if over the axles, yours up front. The road dynamics could are different but again don’t know if it is enough or not to casue an issue.

Did yours actually ship with any? How did you come to calling LaRue about yours? What prompted the call?

I went to the camper today to get the manual, took off my shoes in side like I always do, and there was not time to fiddle around. My feet almost froze the tile was so cold. Being 8 degrees can do that…. So I did not get to do the wiggle test again to confirm.

Here is the one page I have from Sunline in the back of the manual. Seeing what I have, I’ll keep using the bars to be on the safe side. Although I will upgrade them to at least stop cutting the rubber stopper in half. OR until I can figure out why they have not used them on some and not on others. If I ever figure that out… . This would be a great time to have that supurb customer service we use to have.

Thanks

John

Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #18

SUN #98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
[Snip....
Did yours actually ship with any? How did you come to calling LaRue about yours? What prompted the call?
Hi John,

No - our T-280 never came with the transit bars.

Since the T-280 was our first trailer with a slide, before we picked it up I sent Sunline some questions on operating and maintaining the slide.
I had seen the transit bars advertised but didn't see any with the trailer when we looked at it and the dealer said they weren't needed. That's what prompted me to ask the question (i.e., I trusted Sunline much more that what the dealer said).

wrt the Sunline Slide Room Maintenance Guide you posted.
I checked my Sunline manual that came with our Sunline and that page wasn't included.
However, I do have it with all the additional information I download from the Sunline's web site.
I guess I just ignored the Note because of the response I got from LaRue indicating that transit bars weren't needed on the T-280.
To make it clear, LaRue's responses were specific to my situation and our T-280. I don't know if the response would have been different if we had a different model Sunline.

Since your's came with the transit bars, I think it would be wise to continue to use them. Better safe than sorry. You just have me wondering if I shoud start using them also.

Thanks for posing the Slide Room Guide.

FYI - our Files page includes that Slide Room Guide, if anyone is interested in printing it out.
I had given Sarah a bunch of information & guides I downloaded from Sunlines web site to post in the Files page. This was one of them and I had forgotten about it.

Hutch
Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #19

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Hi John & Tom

Our 264 didn't come with transit bars. When we did our pdi I asked about bars, having seen them on other brands of trailers. The tech told us Sunlines don't need them as the slide mechanism locks in place when the slide is in. One thing I noticed is when the slide comes in, the top will hit and the bottom will continue to come in a few inches and raise up a little. So the bars wouldn't do much as the bottom of the slide would have to drop down and move out before the top will move.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #20

SUN #89
Hutch and Mike

Thanks. It seems something changed around the 2004 to the 2005 with the slide systems changing the printed need for the transit bars. Exactly what? Was it in the actual Lippert slide mechanism or the way Sunline built the actual slide mounted on it? Good question.

While I will continue it us the transit bars on mine, it would sure settle my curiosity if I knew what changed. Those inquiring minds types need to know

If I find anything out, I’ll post back. Or is anyone else knows, please post.

Thanks

John