Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
looking at T-267SR

Took a quick look at an 04 t267sr and will probably go back for a good look and make an offer. Read the recent thread about the areas of concern on the slide floor underside and will check that out if we return. Are there any other common trouble areas I should concentrate on? Thanks!

Old 05-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

On the camper you looking at, good you found this slide floor rot issue to look for. That is fixable, just know about it going in and you may be able to get some money off if it is soft. If you can do the work as you have a place to do it and the tools, the cost is not so bad. Paying to have it done can be a expensive due to the labor cost.

On the rest of the camper, the biggest issue will be water infection if it has any, where it is located and how much is infected. This issue happens regardless of floor plan. Is the camper at a private sale or at a dealer? The dealer option may allow a pressure leak test called a Seal Tech leak check if they have one to prove at that moment there are no leaks. That does not mean there is no water damage from a prior leak, just no leaks at the time you buy it.

The roof is one of the larger concerns. A roof leak will start there and then spread down to possibly the ceiling and then down the wall wetness followed by under the camper and floor wetness if the leak is large enough and been there long enough. The water just keeps flowing down to where it can get out or cannot go any further.

For sure you should bring or ask for a solid step ladder to get up on and look at the roof. Do not climb on the roof, you can go through it without the right precautions, just look and feel from the side. The front seam of the roof to the siding and the back seam from roof to siding are the worst 2 areas. Look for cracked caulking at the joints and if there are cracks that exist when your looking. Next area is the gutter rails area and look for cracked, dried up caulking there too. Feel the roof and feel for a rubber tire tube bouncing effect. While the roof is flexible and somewhat soft, it is not normal to feel like a rubber tire tube bouncing, it normally feels soft and stiff. And I know that sounds weird, but the budboard make of the roof feels that way, just not like a pure tire tube. If it feels like that tire tube bounce, then odds are high there is a water infection in that area.

Look at the roof's general condition, is it clean, dirty or black with a very large amount of mold/slime. Just dirt happens and is normal. A small amount of mold also happens. Heavy amounts of dirt, mold and a lot of black suggest the prior owner very rarely cleaned the roof. That and lots of cracked caulking is not a good sign. Look at all the roof vent covers, the shower dome and the fridge cover for cracks that exist when you are looking. Cracks can let water in. They may be brittle and need to be replaced, but if they are not cracked, then odds are better water did not get in. It is not a surprise that vents covers and fridge covers need to be replaced in the near future on a 2004 model. Those are maintenance items.

To do a water inspection can be a large task to learn for your first time through this. What I have listed is a good big picture start but for sure not all of it.

We are working on doing a good water check post, but it is not yet created. We have this video which can help, but is somewhat dealer based in some of the attitude he uses. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ine-14962.html

There is also this recent post on a water meter which is a start on inspecting a camper for water damage, but it is not yet complete. The water meter may be helpful to you and some of the responses. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html

And there is this post on doing roof caulking checks. This was more made for when you have the camper, but it may help on buying one http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html

Here is a big picture visual and smell leak check on the inside of the camper.

Open every cabinet or draw, cargo hole, entry door, window, roof vent and look for any signs of water staining and sniff for a wet mold/rotted wood stink. It will smell like musty/mildew. If it smells, then the infection has been in the camper for quite a while.

Look at the ceiling and look at every joint from the walls to the ceiling for water staining, any wrinkled wall paper and then the sniff test.

Look at the tile floors and rugged area, again any signs of water staining, extreme shrunk floor tile. Check around the toilet area for soft floor spots and check the entire floor for soft spots. The floor will flex, it is not rock solid like a house, but you can feel the difference between a soft floor and a flexing one.

While the inside can be pristine and no smells, if the roof is in really bad shape, that is a heads up. Just because you cannot see or smell any water damage inside does not mean there is not any. It just has not progressed to be seen inside. Most water infections can take a year or more to show up inside. It all depends on if it is big leak or small one.

Make sure all the appliances work, and the water system if you can. Make sure they have the camper plugged in so you can run the roof AC unit.

Take pictures or things that do not look right and you want to ask us about.

A 2004 camper is new enough it can be in great shape but if it has been neglected on roof maintenance, it can also be in bad shape. I did not want this reply to scare you off, more of help educate on what to look for as you did ask.

Good luck, hope it is a good one as they are nice campers.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #3

SUN #9247
That rubber roof thread is great, and the eternabond too. Thanks for posting!
I had no idea that pile of poo sealant used on the roofs came out of a caulk tube
If only I seen it half a dozen years ago with my first camper LoL.
Sadly water issues as well as frame failure finally did that one in and now looking for it's replacement.

This one is at a private residence and was used infrequently as a guest house.
Used so infrequently they are selling it.
They say it was never towed, and by the location where parked I believe it.
It was completely covered in a tarp and I was only able to see the inside (looked good)
The slide was extended and I assume was always left that way (read thats not good)
Need to scratch together enough money for a decent offer and will look it over closely, with special attention to the roof and slide
The floor looked good but will be sure to look again including inside storage areas inside and out
Thanks for all the info!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #4

SUN #89
Hi again,

The slide floor, by chance did it have a slide topper on the camper? That might of helped prevent some of the slide floor issue. It is truly a hit and miss thing. It all depends on ones luck. Good luck or bad luck.... Even on mine, the front was rock solid, yet the back was toast. It seems more water flowed off the back of the slide then the front, so odds where higher for the back to get infected and I lost...

This might be a unique find. Never towed, well you at least do not have the road damage that comes from a lot of towing. Generally a lot of dings in the front and some battle scares from hitting something or something hitting you..

Good luck and hope it all works out. That is a nice camper.

PS. The tires are probably still original from 2004. Bring a portable air compressor on moving day. And if they are from 2004, you can check the date codes, if you have very far to go at anywhere close to highway speeds, think about replacement wheels and tires before pick up day. I just bought a 2004 T1950 as a project camper. It still had the original tires, Oct 2003 and it had sat since 2010. We brought new rims and tires as we had 3 hours at highway speeds. Odds where not in may favor, the rims where a rust bucket too so glad we brought all new to change before we went. Etrailer has Dexstar rims which I highly recommend of very good quality if you are looking. Still made in the USA if you can imagine that...

John

Old 06-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #5

SUN #9247
So, to update. I lost out on that Sunline as well as a few other brands while shopping around. Tired of repeatedly missing out tonight I went prepared. Wad of cash in my pocket, diesel fueled and ready, hitch and brake controller on, threw ladder in back and I was off to check out another candidate.

So

Tonight i dragged home a

01 Sunline

T-267SR

Wasnt shopping for that specific model but guess it was meant to be.
1st shakedown starts this weekend for a week that was planned back in February. (Ole Bull SP)
Excited!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #6

SUN #9247
Oh, and the slide floor was solid. Roof is ready for seams to be resealed.
Thanks for all the information, it was with me and makes me more comfortable with purchase.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #7

SUN #89
Congratulations on your new Sunny!!! And glad it worked out for you.

Glad you found one to your liking and let the adventures begin!!!

We like pics, hint, hint... Some time when your are out camping, take a few and show us. We always like to see Sunlines in action!

Thanks

John

Old 06-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

SUN #9247
1st trip under the belt, casualties were a broken toilet flush valve (already replaced) the front window cover needs to be re rivited where sections join, and the sun is taking it's toll on the top exposed part of the awning. Trip was good, family liked the extra space and I liked the kids having bunks and being out of my way in the morning when I get up. I took one crappy pic when I was setting up, sadly I didn't have time to even wash it before leaving so here it is with years worth of grime and streaks showing LoL
Old 06-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #9

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good! The outer black frame of the rock guard is what needs to be riveted? Did the old rivets actually pull out?
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes,more pics please. We have an '01 250-SR ! Same colors I think. We had all of our stripes redone last yr. Love the camper and go to lots of Meet and Greets. Hope you can get to one as they are loads of fun !
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

SUN #9247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Looks good! The outer black frame of the rock guard is what needs to be riveted? Did the old rivets actually pull out?
Yes, the outer rock guard frame. I think it is piviting on one rivet on the inner side of where the two sections meet but haven't pulled out a ladder to look closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Yes,more pics please. We have an '01 250-SR ! Same colors I think. We had all of our stripes redone last yr. Love the camper and go to lots of Meet and Greets. Hope you can get to one as they are loads of fun !
Have to wash it before pics! Will keep an eye out for M&G's
Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #12

SUN #89
Glad to hear your first camping trip went well!

And thanks for the pic! Nice looking camper. I see it has the older style Reese DC. While old, that is still a very good anti sway control unit.

Thanks

John

Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #13

SUN #9247
Had no idea what those bars were, thanks for the info. Now I can search for setup info
Old 06-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #14

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormiss View Post
Had no idea what those bars were, thanks for the info. Now I can search for setup info
Those bars, are weight distribution bars. In this case they are also part of an anti sway system called the Reese Dual Cam. (DC)

This post with pics helps show on to set up the newer system Reese DC hitch. While the DC part and the hitch head are different, it shows and explains the concepts of setting up the hitch and the DC.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...html#post78418

The objective of the weight distribution (WD) hitch is to return much of the weight that is lost on the front axle of the truck when you tow on the ball in the back of the truck. We set the hitch up to accomplish this. The WD hitch also helps keep the truck receiver within the ratings for loaded tongue weight. Unless you have an upgraded truck receiver, many truck receivers need to use a WD hitch to stay within the ratings of the truck receiver.

The objective of the DC associated with the anti sway part of the hitch is, to help reduce sway effects on the truck and camper from large cross winds, fast moving large vehicles passing you, other sway inducing effects on the truck and camper. After all the weight distribution is setup, we adjust the DC to lock the WD bars notches into the cam arms on the camper to create detent lock.

If you can post some pictures of what you have (ideally hitched up on the truck) I can help tailor the explanation for exactly what you have. I only have pics of parts of the older hitch and they made it in a few variations which may be different then what you have.

I did some digging and found online the old Reese instructions for your older DC. See here http://www.truckspring.com/installat...ay-control.pdf

Now to the actual WD hitch, need pics of the hitch itself to know what type you have. They made a lot of them and finding older instructions is getting harder each day. Luckily I remembered the Reese Part number of the older DC. 26001 to find them. There is a lot of info on the newer hitches, just not the older ones.

Also is there a sticker on the WD bars stating a rating for tongue weight? The sticker would look something like this.

Or this

Hope this helps

John

Old 07-02-2017, 06:01 AM   #15

SUN #9247
Poor choice of words on my part LoL
Knew they were weight distribution bars, just didnt know brand or that they were sway control as well.
After pulling it 5+ hrs each way last trip I have no doubt it needs to be adjusted.
Notches were probably not properly centered since I noticed more sway with this than my previous trailer with no sway control.
Thanks for all the info, will read up a bit and be prepared for next trip in August! (French Creek SP)
Didn't see stickers on bars but they are older bars with bolt on notch, not integrated.
My hitch is a class 5 and I'm using my hitch insert/head from previous trailer. Everything fit well.
May be able to drop height down a hole from previous set-up and tilt some as well.
Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #16

SUN #89
The bolt on notch WD bars still work good. They were the first of the DC evolution. The integrated bars just make it cheaper to manufacture from day 1 with no extra parts. Reese sold of lot of the older style DC's as kits to convert other brands WD hitches to be able to use their anti sway system. Those bolt on cam notches allowed it to fit a Husky, Draw Tite, EAZ lift and many others. Then Reese bought Draw Tite and Cequent bought them and a lot of of towing products.

Class 5 receiver, good deal. The one pic of your rig looked like 8 lug rear wheels so it's good you have the truck suspension to work with that larger camper. Even the bigger trucks need the WD hitch setup optimized to better help them ride and control the camper better.

As FYI, a nose high camper can at times aggravate sway with wind currents over the top. Level is best, slight nose down is next best, very slight nose up is tolerable. A lot of nose down or nose up creates issues. Tandem axle loading get even further unbalanced with a lot of nose up or down then one axle is working harder then it should along with the tires. Once you get the WD on the truck set to restore the front end to unhitched ride height, then move the hitch head up and down the shank to level out the camper. Then adjust the DC last. Then... recheck the WD on the truck as all these tweaks can interact. May need just a little more head tilt back when all said and down.

Truck tire pressures also play into this. Even load range E tires can have issues with soggy side walls at the lower pressures. If the truck tires are not stiff enough, the trailer and wind push the truck and flex the sidewalls creating a wandering effect. At a minimum for towing start at the door sticker pressures for front and rear. If the hitch is set right and the DC, then start a tire pressure experiment with 5psi increases until you find the sweet spot for your rig. It is often the rears will be at max cold pressure and the fronts some where above door sticker pressure for towing. Tires brands react very different with side wall flex and it rears it's ugly head on travel trailer towing. Lots of surface to the wind to get pushed around on a TT where a flat bed or boat all react different.

Good luck and if you need any help, ask away. When the setup is optimized that Sunny should tow very well. Sometimes we have to work at it more then others.

John

Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #17

SUN #9247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Got to this today, one side had two rivets break in half. Pieces were still in both the brace strip and outer black frame.

The fiberglass panel on my shield was weathered. The sunline sticker on it was peeling so a few days ago I removed it. The contrast between the weathered and sun protected parts under the sticker looked horrendous. Since I already needed to work on guard I killed two birds with one stone. Removed the whole shield assembly and reversed the panel so the nice back side is now visible on the front. Riveted the broken part and reinstalled. Looks good and no longer bends while open. Yay!