Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Help installing a genset in a T320 SR

We don't even have it yet, but I am looking for info on installing an Onan 3.6kw LP genset in our 320.

The TT it's coming out of, was already prepped for a genset, but this one isn't.

Are there any spots in a 320, that are better suited?

Thanks in advance!
Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
I can't recall anyone here having undertaken a genset install before on their Sunline TT. I know there's a few on here who have factory installed power plants added as an option when it was built.

Be aware that in all probability it'll change up your tongue weight and affect your weight distribution settings unless you're right over the axles with it.

Please post pictures!!!

Take care,
Lode

https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/Lodeline.jpg
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Gary

Looking at your floor plan, you have a front bed room with a pass thru cargo hole.

KayonKitty here on the forum has a T2499 with an Onan gen set installed in it in the left front cargo hole. Same front bed room. Sunline prepped the TT and she had the genny installed after.

I know she is out camping right now, but when she gets back I’m sure she could send/post some pics. I saw the install and the bottom was open. As the Genny sat on some steel rails. If your handy or have access to someone who is, you may be able to do something similar. I know her out side cargo hole door on that side was special for the genny to breath. She still has the rest of the cargo hole that I know is filled with a bunch of stuff. We sort of emptied it at the June M & G this year getting some tools out.

Your TT frame and mine I’m sure are about the same. A 10,000# GVWR TT using a 10” I beam and 6” channel iron A frame.

Now it will add tongue weight. You mentioned along the way, diesel so your into the 3/4 ton or 1 ton league I’m sure. Your layout with the rear bunks and bath can help offset the heavy tongue but all that front storage is adding got the tongue.

Mine, a rear living layout is at 1,400# on the tongue and that is after I added rear storage boxes to offset some of the tongue. In your case you have rear storage inside. I did have to upgrade my F350 reciever to the 2 1/2" tow beast to take this tongue weight.

Good luck and hope this helps.

John

PS We use a Honda EU200i and I put it in the truck bed when I’m not using it.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Gary, as John B mentioned Kitty has a smaller version of what you want...with the genset.

She is a very active contributor to this web site so I'm sure as soon as she reads this - she'll be popping in with comments.

I will mention however, in a post some time ago she said if she had to do it over again, she most likely would not have the genset installed......her thoughts where a smaller Honda (ie or like) would do the job just fine.

Oh by the way - Welcome to the SOC......
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #5

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Generator Setup

I've never done one but we have that an Onan 3300 in our motorhome. It's in one of two compartments that doesn't lock, the other is the propane compartment. I assume that this is to provide immediate emergency access.

Like the propane compartment it has no bottom, open to the air. In the propane compartment to let the heavier than air propane to leak away and for the generator I assume for air supply and possibly to insure any exhaust leak drains away.

As well the Generator compartment is sealed from the internal part of the motorhome. We do have a CO detector and the generator on occasion has set it off, usually on a windless day. As a result we have a white plastic pipe we use to extend the exhaust away from the motorhome. Yes it does melt the end of the pipe on the generator's exhaust but nothing too serious, it gives it a custom look.

As well the motorhome has a transfer switch. This automatically disconnects the motohome from the AC when the generator runs to ensure that the generator AC and the street AC are never in conflict, a potential disaster. I never trust it and always unplug from the street.

We run our generator with the AC for 15 minutes each month just to exercise it per Onan rules. We find the 3300 watts is adequate for the motorhome.

Hope this helps,

Norm
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote