Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #1

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Found a leak

Went out to put the batteries on the coach so I can take it to be inspected, and when I opened up the front storage compartment, everything was wet. The carpet was so wet it seeped into the bedroom. Looks like it's leaking around the compartment door. Biggest problem is going to be getting it dried out with this cold damp weather.

Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike: We had the same issue with our 276SR.

I replaced the seals around the doors, and then did the nighttime "light in the compartment" test. Found that the doors were actually slightly bent and some judicious straightening (bending) of the door panel fixed the leak.

As to the carpet, we used a carpet machine with a hand held attachment to clean/dry the carpet. Our entire front carpet, in the hatch, under the bed and all around the bed was wet. (It's all one piece of carpet) The machine got the carpet dried to slightly damp, then we used a small electric heater and a box fan to completely dry it out. Thankfully, we have a maxxair cover on our bedroom vent so we could leave the roof vent open while we dried out the inside, the compartment was a little trickier, but the small heater fan dried that out too, just had to babysit the open compartment.

Good Luck,

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #3

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hi Mike

I had the same problem with my 246 I took it back to sunline and they had it for almost the whole winter it turned out to be the storage doors as was mentioned above I had them take out the carpet in the compartment and just keep the linoleum which makes it so much easier to slide things in and out of there, also chech the front window if you have one they had a problem with the rubber that holds the window in popping out mine did and I just caulked around it with silcone and used a screw driver to push it back in . good luck Dan
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #4

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Found the leak around the storage compartment door. The putty is pulled away from the siding. I thought about removing the door and putting new putty around it, but I'm going to dig a little putty out and caulk around it with this. Removed everything from the compartment and used almost a whole roll of paper towels to remove most of the water. Left the compartment doors open last night and all day today, so the worst of the water dried. The carpet is still a little damp to the touch, but I had to close everything up to take it and drop it off for inspection. When I bring it home tomorrow night I'll open the compartment back up for a few more days since it's going to be in the 60's for a few more days. I think I'll just caulk around all the compartment doors while I'm at it.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #5

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike:

Make sure to do a "light in the compartment" test after you make your repairs. You'll be surprised how easily the doors can get bent just enough to cause a problem. I replaced the putty on one of mine and it still needed an "adjustment".

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #6

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Mike - thanks for the warning/precaution. So far no leaks in ours. We have had some really bad rainstorms while here in Florida, and Ron checked everything out afterwards.

Good luck with yours!
Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #7

SUN #387
canoe2
Hi Mike:

Sorry to hear about your leak. We found that we had one two years ago when we getting ready to go on our first trip. The carpet under the couch was wet and the water had started to soak up into the veneer on the walls. I thought it was the caulk around the compartment door but after spending a lot time under the couch with a flashlight and Lorie outside with a hose I found it was between the door and door seal. I ended up replacing the door seal with some that was wider and had a series of ridges on it. That seemed to do the trick but I still worried about it so I bought some Frost King 1/2" poly foam caulk saver and I use that around all my compartment doors when the trailer is sitting. It blows out when I'm on the road so when I get where I'm going I put it back in. I just checked my trailer over the weekend and everything is still dry.

Doug

2005 T2363
2016 Dodge Ram
canoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

SUN #8348
b3522 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought a trailer with this type or leak and it must have been leaking for a long time. When I pulled back the carpet the osb came with it. it also had started to soak up the wall a little. I hope to get it fixed up and sealed since it was the only place I saw damage. the seal between the wall and frame seems to be ripped too. Structure underneath seems ok at this point. I am bringing it home today and getting it inside to really check it out. Any suggestions on how to repair that corner of the floor?