Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #1

SUN #1116
patricia52 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 279sr??

Hi everyone,

As background information, my dh and I have owned 3 Sunlines in the past 10 years. Our very first travel trailer was a brand new 2000 2553, followed by a new 2004 264SR and our last Sunline was a slightly used 2004 2499, which we sold last year. We are now in the market for another Sunline and recently looked at a 2005 279SR located on the Gulf Coast. This trailer has been stored in a garage and according to the original owner, was pulled only once on vacation. It has been set up with the slide cranked out and used as guest sleeping quarters. The outside of the trailer looks almost new. The interior is dirty -- carpet needs cleaning and the unit just needs an overall good cleaning. I don't think the inside has been cleaned in two years since the owner's wife passed away. I have to admit that after owning 2 brand new Sunlines and a third in like new condition, I'm very picky about the interior but I think it can be brought back into shape with some cleaning supplies and a good bit of elbow grease. My dh was in charge of looking at the outside and said the hot water heater was very corroded. During our visit, the slide wouldn't retract back into the coach and the owner is having the problem fixed next week. I've searched the internet and haven't been able to find any information on this particular model except for the floorplan in the brochure of the Files section. Is anyone familiar with this model? It appears to have only been produced in 2004 and 2005.

Thanks in advance for any information. And, yes, I'm awake at 3:30 a.m. thinking about this Sunline!

Patricia

Old 06-05-2010, 04:13 AM   #2

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Good morning Patricia, and welcome to SOC.

Sunline owners sure are a loyal bunch. We have a member who is on (I believe) her 17th Sunline.

I can't give you detailed info on the 279SR, but Sunline Fan will probably be along shortly. He's known as our resident Sunline historian and will be able to help you with your questions.

You'll find the members here are a great group. Some have submitted detailed posts (including pictures) of repairs that can be very helpful. Both slide repairs and water heater replacement have been done.

I spent several sleepless hours thinking about our Sunline too. After looking at a few other brands that turned out to be junk, a dealer showed us a newer model of the 2363 that we purchased. Ours was at another of his lots but we had both been up working 3rd shift and couldn't drive another 50 miles since we were already 70 miles from home and had to get some sleep to return to work that night. He said he'd have someone bring it down and we could come back the next day. At the time, we had never heard of Sunline, but the dealer assured us they were the best. We fell in love with the newer one (but didn't have much to spend). Hmmm, I just kept thinking "If Sunlines are so great, something has to be wrong with this one, if he's willing to come down to our price and have it delivered. He assured us there were no leaks or soft spots like the others we'd looked at. Are the tires bald and dry rotted so we won't be able to tow it home? Something has to be wrong." We were very happy to find nothing wrong--it even had 5 new tires! I spent the whole day worrying for nothing and we've been enjoying it for 3 years with no problems.

Unfortunately, with Sunline out of business, they will be harder to find but well worth the effort of some cleaning and repairs when they are found.

I hope your dreams of a 4th Sunline come true for you soon!

clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Patricia,

Welcome!

The 279SR is indeed a rare model. Indeed the brochure indicates that 2004 was the first year, but I've never seen one. 2005 was the more popular year for them, but by more popular I mean five...

That model does have a special significance for Sunline. Since you are a long time customer, you may remember the 40th anniversary celebration in 2004-2005. During that celebration, Sunline held a contest to find the oldest known Sunline. As a prize, Sunline awarded the owner of the oldest coach with a brand new 2005 coach, which happened to be a 279SR. To the best of my knowledge, that coach stayed in PA. I've heard of another in the St. Louis area that was built customized for ADA accessibility, which I believe included twin beds. There was a fourth that I know of, but I don't recall exactly where it was, I want to say like Virginia or something. There was another that I found recently that was an SE package '05 in Jefferson City, MO. It's weird that such a hefty percentage of them are out west, because Sunline was so scarce out there in the first place.

I know exactly the coach you are looking at. I believe it's #5694, so it would have been built approximately in either December, 2004 or January, 2005. It does look in very good condition, and the best part is you shouldn't have to worry about water damage. It would be a good idea to check over the roof seams anyway for cracks to ensure it does remain leak free. Also, don't check them where it sits now, check them after you would buy it and get it home. Since it hasn't been on the road much, the flexing of traveling on the road may break a roof seam, so checking after some movement is critical.

Cleaning up the inside should be pretty easy. The carpets usually clean up well with a carpet cleaner, and the good part is you don't have to fight much sun bleaching, which can make cleaning difficult to see when it is really clean. You also have the advantage that all the plastic stuff on the roof won't be sun bleached either, so you won't have to worry about it breaking off right away. Treat those pieces with some 303 protection and they'll be good for a long time.

If the water heater looks suspicious, I would certainly look around inside the coach near where the tank is. If it is bad, it could have developed a hole in the bottom and could leak onto the floor, creating a completely new type of leak from the normal rainwater leak.

The slide...as JohnB has found, the slide system is very complex. Without knowing the exact details of what was happening, I'm guessing the motor was just a little frozen up from lack of use over time. Hopefully once it can be moved some, it will be OK.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

SUN #123
Patricia,

Your story seemed to ring a bell to me, so I did a little searching. Do you by chance have any relation to member Sewfancy? I remembered the '04 2499, in fact I seem to recall it had a Forest Green interior.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...html#post68881

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

SUN #1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Patricia,

Your story seemed to ring a bell to me, so I did a little searching. Do you by chance have any relation to member Sewfancy? I remembered the '04 2499, in fact I seem to recall it had a Forest Green interior.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...html#post68881

Jon

Jon,

I'd like to borrow your crystal ball sometime! Sewfancy and I are one and the same. I hadn't posted in a couple of years and couldn't remember my password, so I just re-registered under a different name. You are right on the money about my 2499 and it certainly did have Forest Green interior.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

SUN #1116
Jon,

Thanks for all the great information! I knew about Sunline's quest for the oldest camper, but did not recall that they presented the winners with that particular model. I wonder why Sunline chose that model to give as the prize. Do you know why they only made this model for two years? Was it just not a very popular floorplan?

Patricia
Old 06-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Patricia

Yes welcome back!!!

The slide not coming in, Did it grunt even when trying to come in or just not move?

If it grunted and could not move, the slide seals stick when sitting 9 plus months on end. They stick so hard that the motor does not have enough power to break them free some times. If that is the case, then this is an easy fix, you have to help push the slide by hand to break it free. What ever they do, do not use the manual crank to break it free. The manual crank has not overload clutch and can create massive power way more then the motor. The massive power can rip up the slide drive.

Again if it is seal stuck, once unstuck use 303 UV protectent on the rubber to make it pliable again and the problem goes away.

If it never grunted, well the slide motor may be froze up OR the slide drive system. Not a show stopper, but in need of fixing. Once fixed the problem should be OK.

If you heard any sounds, let me know, may be able to provide more info.

Since this is a 2005 slide model odds are you have the new style floor. If it was an 2004 or older TT then I can point to where to look for water damage in the floor that “may occur”. I have not yet seen any 2005’s and newer with the problem.

I looked up this floor plan. The Monster bath room. Very nice and roomy.

Good luck in which ever camper you choose

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #8

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia52 View Post
Jon,

Thanks for all the great information! I knew about Sunline's quest for the oldest camper, but did not recall that they presented the winners with that particular model. I wonder why Sunline chose that model to give as the prize. Do you know why they only made this model for two years? Was it just not a very popular floorplan?

Patricia
Don't worry, you wouldn't have seen that published anywhere. They had taken a picture with Jon & Kim by the door, but it was so close that I couldn't see what model it was. I had to ask and dig it out of them... As it is, I never got to see pictures of that oldest coach, which they did own for a short time, since I requested them. I think they should have published that info somewhere, but that's just me.

I'm guessing popularity is partly the reason. I'm not sure why it never took off, I like it. It's different from the usual stuff they were doing. I think the plan certainly had a couple more years of potential, but by 2006, Sunline was really downsizing. They got rid of so many models between 2004 and 2005 to focus on what was really popular.

I think part of Sunline's problem was when they had an unusual model like this with potential, they just scrapped it instead of building on it to make it better. A model like the 279SR has a great layout inside, but I can see right now, it would tight to get around the couch if it were in the extended position. If they added two feet to the coach to be able to put that couch back just a little farther, that would have probably made it easier and would have sold more. I have to say, I really like that couch in the back because I see huge potential of a nice sized storage area there, sort of like the trunk idea that the original Sunline TT's had. Even having a side door would be OK to put long stuff in easier, but it's always that middle space in the pass throughs that are the tough part... Having a nice large door there would make putting chairs, blocks of wood, lights, and whatever in and out much easier.

Jon
Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #9

SUN #1116
Did the slide "grunt"? Well, you could hear the motor humming and the slide acted like it was trying to move. My dh went outside and put his back up against the slide and pushed as the owner was pushing the button, but the slide still didn't budge.

Patricia