Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

SUN #6741
openroad is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 T267SR gas grill hookup to propane

Greetings. I have a 2003 T267SR. I'm interested in hooking up a propane gas grill to the access pipe that was installed and capped off by the manufacturer on the side of the units. Can I use the on board pressure regulator thats between the tanks and just install a hose connection to the pipe or do I need another regulator coming off the access pipe to the grill. Im interested in using a table top type gas grill that would take the standard 20# cylinder.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
The pipe under the camper that is capped off is low pressure. Low meaning 11" water column. Close to 0.5 psi. If you have a stove or a grill that runs on low pressure then you can use that connection. You do not need another regulator, it is already 2 stage regulated down to the 11" water column.

Many folks add a gas shut off valve and then a gas rated quick hose disconnect to the pipe. Then the grill or stove has a low pressure hose with a quick coupler male fitting on it and you plug it in.

You mentioned using a table top grill that would normally run off of a 20# LP bottle. Many of those grills are hi pressure. Hi, being 5 to 7 psi. If it is a hi pressure grill, it may not burn correctly on a lo pressure connection. That said, some stove/grills can work on dual pressure, they just have lower BTU output. It depends on the way the stove is made.

If your grill has a single stage regulator at the tank, and a hi pressure hose (could state 300psi on the hose rating) to a knob on the grill that is a combo on/off and flame adjustment knob, odds are high it is a hi pressure grill and will not work on the lo pressure connection on the side of the camper. You have to figure out if the grill is rated for dual pressure.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

SUN #6741
Thanks for the info John. Can you recommend a grill setup that I can purchase ? The trailer came with that channel strip mounted to the side that you can hang a cook top on. Im guessing that was standard since Im the original owner and don't remember purchasing it as option. I don't like the idea of an open flame hanging on the side of my trailer.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I myself have not used these. Some other members may have. The rail setup was for an RVQ grill. Some folks like them, some have expressed a high dollar grill and not as thrilled with it.

I do not know if this is the original or not, It was not a Sunline exclusive. Any camper brand could offer it.
RVQ II Grill Portable RV Grill $229 with FREE SHIPPING except HI, AK & Canada

And some other brands
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_6um4t0ctdg_e

I myself use a Weber Baby Q grill over on a table away from under the awning. I do use a 2 burner stove on the side of the camper. And I use that gas rail to mount the tables.

On our prior T2499
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...over-7939.html

Then adapted to our T310SR
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...10sr-8989.html

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

SUN #8012
Sunny in VA is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same 2003 T267SR. It came with the RVQ grill. Works great as a small grill. It's a nice addition. We cook for a family of 5 on it. Ours came in a nice canvas storage bag which keeps the parts together in the front storage bay and also keeps the unit from soiling the carpeting.

BTW, I'm read about someone using the propane hookup to power a small portable Honda generator. This person purchased a propane conversion kit for a gas model.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #6

SUN #6741
Thanks for responding Sunny in VA. Nice to get a reply from someone that has the same unit. Do you have that single straight bar, I guess about 28" long screwed to the side? Looks like all the newer RVQ mount differently. I hate drilling more holes in my trailer. You mention the generator hookup. For a couple of years now I have been running a 3500 watt generator off the gas grill connection. If your considering doing this go to motor snorkel.com its a site by U S Carburetor in W.V. they make gas to propane conversion kits, most for under $150.00 and they are excellent and easy to install ( check out on Youtube).I had 150 hrs on my generator running on gasoline before I converted it to propane in 45 minutes I had it running on propane. It now has 86 hrs. on the propane.
I just put a gasoline to propane conversion kit from them on my gas Log Splitter (30 Ton) and it works great.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

SUN #8012
Sunny in VA is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a bracket mounted on the side of the trailer. The RVQ has a frame that then slides into the bracket and braces against the side of the trailer. The gas grill then sets into the frame. It must be mounted into the wall framing, but I understand the hesitation to mess with getting a good seal against the aluminum. Make sure you use a fastener that won't react with the aluminum.

Thanks for the advice on the generator conversion. I'm going to check this out so I can avoid carrying gasoline.

I need to do some work on my roof this spring. I'll take pictures -- hopefully you never need them!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

SUN #6741
My roof lasted until 2013 when I discovered a leak in the area above the refrigerator in my unit. The water was actually coming in around the seal for the hood that covers the exhaust for the refrigerator when its operating on propane. I check all the sealant every spring and make repairs as needed. Unfortunately after 10 years of sitting in the elements it was time for new skin. When I stripped the roof off I noticed another area on the rear corner of the trailer that would be just over the rear shower corner that was leaking through the "skin" but had not yet shown from inside the unit. I was fortunate enough to be able to put the trailer in a friends barn and work on the repair through the winter. Since I had the luxury of being able to leave it in my friends barn all winter I decided to replace the entire roof skin with decking. So far no problems hoping to get another 10 years out of the roof. Unfortunately I don't have pictures BUT you can find repair how to pictures from John B on this site that are very helpful if you need them. Let me know how you make out.