Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

SUN #10865
maint1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 T260 SR slide floor

Back last year JohnB and I discussed trouble with slide and we came to the conclusion that the rear floor was rotting out and I was going to wait for warm weather to fix it, but decided to at least pull up the carpet and look at it and since I had a cover over the trailer that would allow me to put the slide out and put elect. heater in if it got too cold. It was rotted as much as Johns if not more. I decided to try to fix a little different then John did on his. Did it all from inside except take the screws and lags out. Cut the bad out with saw set to a little less then 1". The slide floor I found out was made up of two 1/2" OSB. I cut the top piece about 3"s back from the bottom piece and routed a 3/4" piece of plywood so it could be glued and screwed. Then cut the top OSB back more so a 1/2" pieced could be glued and screwed over the top of both. Had to rout the edges of the top piece so it would be 1" to go under the walls. Recrewed through the existing holes in the darco and replaced the lags, tape the darco with gorilla tape amd sprayed with the waterproofing as seen on TV, It may last for a while, my son said that spray dose not last will keep an eye on it. 1 pic rotten floor, could lift out by the handful, 2 pic, the 2 piece of OSB 3 pic, rotten OSB cut out 3 pic with the 3/4" plywood installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190204_130724.jpg (62.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190205_133839.jpg (80.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20190204_153908.jpg (50.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190207_103813.jpg (41.7 KB, 14 views)

Old 02-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Ah...yup. You have the classic case of slide floor rot. And a good infection of it too.

You did well on the fix. Good for you and thanks for sharing! Yes, my slide floor was 2, 1/2" pieces glued together as well.

If the waterproof membrane fix you did gives you issues, there is a way to splice in new Darco waterproof membrane without removing the slide. If it comes to that, let us know and I can elaborate more on how I spliced mine.

Happy camping this year.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #3

SUN #10865
Hi John As I was working on it put the slide in and out a few times and it seem like it was not moving right so thought I should do something before we left in May. They did not do very good with the gluing together on the floor the part I cut out just came apart even in the good part. In the process of replacing the test of the carpet on the slide and I think I will screw or staple the rest of the slide. This fix should make it for a year or two and may not need it by then, 76 and slowing down. I do love this trailer and have put some work in it. Took the carpet up in the main part and going to stay with a non-carpet floor, but carpet in the slide seems the easiest way to cover the connection area. What would you recommend for flooring in the main area? Seems like the floor fix cleared up a lot of the out of adjustment problems, still need to fine tune. Need to do when I get the cover off. Thank you for everything I would not been able to tackle this without your expertise.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi maint1,

See some thoughts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maint1 View Post
Hi John As I was working on it put the slide in and out a few times and it seem like it was not moving right so thought I should do something before we left in May.
OK, when the time comes, create a new post OR add on to your existing slide adjustment post on what you are now seeing along with pictures if possible and we can see if we can help point you in the right direction. Correcting the floor will change the slide adjustment to being better but the prior owner may have tried to correct for the bad floor and now the slide is still out of optimal adjustment. There is a process to go through to sort out which area needs to be adjusted and in what order.

Quote:
They did not do very good with the gluing together on the floor the part I cut out just came apart even in the good part. In the process of replacing the test of the carpet on the slide and I think I will screw or staple the rest of the slide.
Yes, I saw the same thing. The glue dried out or the water infection weakened it or both. On mine, it took almost no effort to split apart the 2, 1/2" OSB sheets. I added some glue and then added extra flat head screws to hold the 2 sheets back together. Just make sure the length is correct so the screw tips do not poke through the bottom.

Quote:
This fix should make it for a year or two and may not need it by then, 76 and slowing down. I do love this trailer and have put some work in it. Took the carpet up in the main part and going to stay with a non-carpet floor, but carpet in the slide seems the easiest way to cover the connection area. What would you recommend for flooring in the main area?
On the main floor, in many cases Sunline did not glue the tile floor to the OSB substrate. They may have stapled it at the walls OR installed the walls over the top of the large piece of tile flooring.

That said, you can cut out the old flooring. Use a sheetrock knife or other tool to trim the flooring along the walls and or cabinets. The flooring under the cabinets stays original. This then gives you an exposed flat OSB floor to start with.

What to put down, depends. Most times on personal preference. Some have a new all one piece vinyl flooring put down. See this post by EMD Driver. The first part of the post dealt with fixing the rotted floor, then to put the flooring in. This link should drop you in the middle when the flooring goes in. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tml#post110011

Gary had a friend who does flooring for a living and these guys know exactly what they are doing to cut and fit that monster sheet to fit around everything. It is amazing just watching them.

Here is another floor repair with pics
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...air-12578.html

And another where he used small squares in some places and other floor with pics
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...air-14347.html

Some have also used the new long thin flooring pieces that tongue and groove together. I do not know the names of them. The only thing I have heard about them, make sure the brand you find does not swell with water getting in the cracks. I have never used it, but heard that can be an issue. The bath area and kitchen sink may be more prone to water spills.

See this link which is a "Google Custom Search" made by our admin for Sunline Owners club. Put in the words "floor repair" and do a search. There are many posts dealing with the wood rot but also those covering the floor.
Google Custom Search for Sunline Owners Club

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

SUN #10865
Thanks John, will look around. Have a great one!!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Some have also used the new long thin flooring pieces that tongue and groove together. I do not know the names of them. The only thing I have heard about them, make sure the brand you find does not swell with water getting in the cracks.
Luxury Vinyl Planking, LVP for short.

I do construction and remodeling, and we've been using a ton of the Lifeproof line of LVP sold by Home Depot. It's completely waterproof, antimicrobial and very easy to install. I like it.

Its one drawback is that it's a "floating" floor--you need to leave a gap at the edges to allow for expansion. That gap is then covered with baseboard or quarter-round.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #7

SUN #10865
The only question I have with that type, what happens when the slide is in and you are moving? Dose it get out of place where there is no wall or can you attach it to the floor on that side?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #8

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Install a transition strip to keep it captive.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #9

SUN #10865
Thanks, I had not thought of that, but will work.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #10

SUN #10865
I see you are in Pennsylvania, I am in Va. so not much help on where to get an estimate, but there are lots of great people on here that I am sure can help!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #11

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by merle243 View Post
I can't seem to figure out how to begin a new forum, so hope you don't mind me just commenting on existing conversations; anyway, we just had our 2005 Sunline Sole get hit by a tornado on Sunday night. We had no insurance while it was just parked, so we have routed the unit and are trying to find a way forward. The unit is still mostly complete but has damages to the siding and roof. Does anyone know who we could contact for a repair quote, or would anyone on here by interested in buying the unit for parts?
Sorry to hear about that bit of bad luck. Just a thought, if you had any damage to your home or other property, perhaps your homeowners insurance is sending out an adjuster. The adjuster or your insurance company probably has dealt with rv estimates before. I'd ask them.
Gary G