Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Went with a new Tow Vehicle over Upgrading the old

On our first camping trip we ran into some overheating problems with our 99 Burb. AFter a while of heming and hawing about repairing / Modifying it or just getting a new vehicle.

Well, we went ahead and sold it then spent a couple weeks looking at so many different vehicles that we couldn't keep them straight. At first we wanted a SUV but then started looking at trucks. It's amazing how many sales people (even at major dealerships) just don't listen to what you tell them. I even had a list printed up of specific SUVs that would work. We had called one place that had an Excursion that had just sold but he was SURE that he had an EXPLORER (I double checked, he didn't mean Expedition) that would tow our 28" sunline just fine!!!!

Well anyhow, one dealership actually let us take home a 2003 Dodge 3500 DRW Crew Cab Longbed 4x4 with a 4.10 for a week while we looked around. We drove alot of trucks around that year/price range and none impressed us compared to it so we finally signed on it just a few days ago.

So anyway, I had to go try out pulling the sunline with it. The hitch is even higher than our Burb was so to use the WD hitch, we are going to have to get a longer adjustable shank. I had a standard 5 1/4 " drop shank in the garage so figured it would be a good start to guage how long a shank I would need for the WD setup.

We put it on the ball and with all the weight on it, the front fender only raised about 1/2"! Wow, that 160" wheel base really made a difference!!! On a level surface, both the TT and TV were level. It made me almost wish I could get away without the WD hitch.

We drove it around the strage area and man did it pull great. Took off almost like it wasn't even there. Stopping was great too. I didn't have the prodigy hooked up yet but those 1 ton brakes didn't even break a sweat.

Now we can't wait till school's out and we can start camping without stressing about the trip there and back. Going back to Sanibel for July 4th and hopefully one of the state parks in the Keys soon after that.

Here are some pics. The second one is to show comarison to our other vehicle, the Mini Cooper. We now own pretty much the two extremes of the vehicle spectrum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sspx0272.jpg (47.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sspx0273.jpg (47.2 KB, 3 views)

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #2

SUN #385
Hematite
What? The Mini Cooper can't pull a 28 foot Sunline? LOL. A lot of car salemen don't have a clue about towing and the rest don't care as long as you buy what they have for sale.
Yes, it makes a big difference to use a heavy duty vehicle with which to tow. You will be quite satisfied with the results.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Ohhwell

Did you get the gasser or the diesel?

You are now armed with plenty of TV... and then some. If some day you upgrade the TT you have enough truck for most any TT and for sure any TT Sunline ever made. Which that inself is a question, What is the biggest and heavier TT Sunline ever made?

Congrats on your new ride. And yes 160" WB over the 130" on the Burb makes a difference, that and a 1 ton suspension...

Happy camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #4

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, it's a gasser. We didn't have a diesel budget...

Still, that 4.10 in the rear and the 5 speed auto really do a good job. There's also a ton more cooling behind the grill I noticed.

Brought the Sunline home from storage to get ready for the 4th and it pulled great. I wasn't going far so I only had the WD hitch. The gas engine does like RPMs and probably will guzzle but it's very much worth it.

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the club, the "swattin' flies with a sledge hammer" club that is.

We bought our '02 Ram planning to step up to a 5'er, but haven't been able to see our way clear to do that yet.

But, boy oh boy, does that diesel ever haul the Sunline with ease!

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #6

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve,
When we bought our '04 Dodge, we had a Dutchmen 180 bought off SWMBO's parents, and thinking that may be a 5er was in our future somewhere, we got the Quadcab and long bed with a Cummins and 4x4. That rig hardly knew the Dutchmen was back there, and it tows like a dream with the T-2499 in tow too.
I was thinking that a 5er would tow much better, but all thinking of a 5er has vanished now that we have some experience with the T-2499 and Ram 2500 combination. There just are no issues, at least not yet, and it can only get better as I get more practice backing up, so we put a cap on the truck bed for more dry storage.
I am in awe every time we meet a 5er on the road. That tall wind catcher's got to do very bad thing to fuel consumption.
Roar