Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #1

SUN #147
chriseck
Weighed the trailer/truck anyone?

Pulled into a truck scale on U.S.19 in north Fl.Trailer was 7600lbs and the truck was 7740lbs.We were loaded with full fresh water for dry camping and lots of x-mas gifts.The Dodge had a golf cart in the bed,3-adults and two kids,1/2 tank fuel.Will have to reweigh things minus all the extra stuff as I unknowingly exceeded the GCVWR.Has anyone else weighed there 276sr ready to go?

Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Good for you for weighing your rig. You are commended for doing this. "Stuff" adds up. And until you weigh it, it can really fool you. It always seems to weigh more than you think. 20# here, 30# there, it all adds up.

And the only true way to know if your WD is set up in the optimized condition is to weigh the rig loaded ready to go camping.

Ideally weigh the rig in 3 passes axle by axle.

Once, TV and TT hooked up with WD bars on.
Once, TV and TT hooked up WD bars off.
Once TV only, TT unhooked. ( during the same weighing trip)

Then you can do some math to see if the WD is optimized and if all weights are at or under the manf. ratings;
You get a tongue load
Axle loads to compare to axle limits
Your TV gross weight to compare to your GVWR
TT weight to compare to your TT GVWR
Your Gross combined weight.

I have a heavy tongue with my camper layout and the “stuff” I have in it. Until I hit the scales. I never realized it could get that high. “Stuff” adds up.

I do not have the 276SR, but do have weights on the T2499.

Happy Camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't weighed Sunny yet, but I did weigh Big Blue, 8400 plus or minus 20 lbs. That was full fuel, 3 adults, aluminum cross bed tool box. And not much else in the tool box. It's a heavy thing.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #4

SUN #147
chriseck
John B,I would like to reweigh everything the way your describe to get more accurate weights for trailer/truck/tounge etc.I did tow the weight on I-75 thru central Fl. without sway control,load bars that were not leveling me out perfectly and lack of a helper leaf.I found I had to maintain at least 65mph in order for passing traffic-small cars too, to keep sway within my comfort level.It was good to know that even severely over loaded that it was controlable and can only improve as I address these issues.I think I could have only made another 1-hour on the interstate with this setup as my wrist was very tense do to the necessary control required.We normally try to stay on the back roads when not pressed for time.Braking /stoping was not a issue.Have since added helper leaf,installed friction sway control and made various changes to assist in weight reduction.Only local trips planned,will have to wait till spring break for the I-4 trip to Fort Wilderness Disney .Need to get my GCVWR down to 14,000 lbs or less.The golf cart in the bed of the truck is not helping my weight problems,but we all enjoy using it when we camp.Not ready to plunk down $ for a 3/4 ton truck.Will make this work safely for now as we mostly camp in Fl,Ga and Al.