Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #1

SUN #544
johnnynell
Send a message via Skype™ to johnnynell
USA Tires@Wal mart

I have been checking out tires for my tt. Need to find someone that has info concerning the USA tires sold at Wal mart. They have ST205/75R15 tires with load range C for $85.00. Is this a good deal or are the tires really worth it. Any help would be helpful......

Tks
Johnny

Old 06-19-2008, 04:39 AM   #2

SUN #62
rich2500
Johny are these USA Trail tires made by carlisle

01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

SUN #544
johnnynell
Send a message via Skype™ to johnnynell
Rich

yes they are trailor tires, have no idea who mfgr is. Sorry. They are ST205/75r15 with load range "C"
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
DOT Tire Codes

All tires have a DOT code that is like a serial number. Like any serial number, the DOT code provides some very helpful consumer info if you know how to read the code. The important digits are the first 4 and the last 4. (edit: oops, just noticed that the numbers 1-9 can identify a manufacturer--so, in that case use only the first 3 digits.)

The first 2 digits are the tire manufacturer and the next two are the tire plant. Use the search function of your web browser to search for the manufacturer and plant info on this page:

http://www.harriger.com/tiremakers.htm

The search might not work as expected because if you're searching for "CO",for example it will find all the "company" occurrences on the page. Read down the list of codes and you'll see they are in order and you can quickly find what you're looking for if the search function doesn't work. Also, this page is dated 2005, but it's the best I could come up with after a quick Google.

The last 4 digits are the week and year of manufacture. For example, "5207" would have been built the last week of Dec. 2007.

Here's another page that deciphers all the other numbers on a tire:

http://www.sizes.com/home/automobile_tires.htm

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #5

SUN #62
rich2500
Johny here are the tires I was talking about
http://www.carlisletire.com/products...ail/index.html
If those are the ones I would pass,Carlisle is not known for having good trailer tires and I personally had nothing but trouble with them on my utility trailer.$85.00 is also a little expensive I just got four new tires at $60.00 each they are BCT tires they are made in China but the guy at the heavy duty equiptment tire shop where I got them swears they are good tires and he has sold alot of them and never heard of a problem.
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #6

SUN #115
emam
These tires are made by Carlise and at first I was all excited to find out that I could get Trailor tires at Wal-Mart. I bought one to replace a Mission that had blown out.

This is what the Mission looked like when it blew. Total failure!

Wal-Mart offered a replacement warranty for only $9 on the USA Trail so I got that too.

Just last month we were driving out of Zion when the Carlise blew out. It wasnt a total blowout like the Mission, but just a strip of tread in the middle.

This is what the USA Trail looked like after I pulled it off. At first I was a bit confused how it had happened, but then when I pulled on the casing, we found out that the whole tire was about to come loose.

Luckily for us, the tire was still holding air, just that strip had tore off and was spalling against the side of the camper causing some serious rubber marks, but no real damage. I did lose a plastic chrome lug cover in the ordeal, which is something I'll be going to see Sunline Jon about as soon as we get home.

When I went back to Wal-Mart to get a replacement, this certain store didnt carry the ST Tires and said they were a special order which would take 30 days to get in How in a world of having anything overnighted, can ANYTHING take 30 days?

I complained enough that they went and got the store manager who wondered how I even bought a replacement warranty on a trailer tire, since they normally dont offer them? I had purchased the tire in Texas originally, this store I was at was in Utah.

The manager finally refunded my total purchase price minus the $9 for the warranty coverage, and recommended a tire store across the street that specialized in Heavy Equipment tires and Trailers.

So as usual, I was happy with my service from Wally World, but not too happy with my service from a Carlise tire.

Afterwards, I've heard from doing a bit of research on a few RV Forums, that Carlise has a bad name in the Tire business. I'm not one to worry about the cost of the tire, as who would want the cheapest tire they can find hauling their Sunline around. I'd rather pay a few more dollars for a quality tire.

This is why we went up to a stronger Class E tire with the 10ply 225/75 R15 tire over the stock 205/75 R15 Class C 4 ply tire. So far so good, and like I said before, I keep everyone informed how these stronger tires hold up.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote