Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #1

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Trailer Tire Blow Out

I experienced my first blow out while towing this weekend. It turned out to be mostly non-eventful. The DW and I heard a 'pop', I saw tread flying in my side view mirror, and I was able to pull over and change the tire without incident.

Only damage to the trailer was to the plastic flap that hangs down to protect the dump valve handle. Part of it was broken off. A small piece of the tire was impelled into bottom of the trailer. Only some of the wires from the steel belt penetrated and left only pin holes when I pulled it off. Anyone know what I can use to patch the small holes left behind. I remember reading there was something good for that and that duct tape does not work well.

Since I am still running the original Mission tires, I plan on replacing all four tires ASAP. I am trying to decide what to get and have read dozens of posts. I would like to upgrade from the 1820 rated tires to something a little heavier. After reading posts, it appears I would have to upgrade my rims as well.

I am curious if it is worth the effort for my trailer size to go through the trouble. I did find that Denman makes an ST205/75R15 8 ply rated at 2150. The max inflation on it is 65lbs. I am wondering if I could get by on that with the stock wheels.

For the curious, I posted a couple of pictures of the blow out at http://photomacs.smugmug.com/gallery...36751444_wUxJr.

Later,
David

2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

SUN #385
Hematite
I have to say that I'm still amazed that tires with that much tread left on them just blow out willy nilly for no apparent reason.

Denman makes a good tire. Even if you inflate to the 50 lbs (wheel pressure capacity) with an 8 ply tire, you will still have a stronger, better quality tire than the originals. You won't have more weight capacity but since you will not likely load the Sunline to the max weight anyway, the point is moot. I would prefer to get bias ply tires, given the choice.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #3

SUN #597
henryj
Good you caught that so quickly--the tire isn't even shredded. It's a little scary to see that kind of failure in what is supposed to be the strongest part of the tire.

Here's a link to wheels and their ratings.
http://www.dexstarwheel.com/products.html#changer
Click on "view specifications" below each wheel.
I suspect these wheels are all the same and are rated only for the tire that is going to be mounted. I just can't see a 15X5 falling apart above 50 psi when a similar 15X6 will take 75 psi. Also, you wouldn't have to run the LRD at 65 psi. I don't have that tire on my load inflation table, but a similar ST205/75R14 LRD is rated at 2040 lb at 65 psi, 1950 lb at 60 psi and 1850 lb at 55 psi.

I assume the pinholes are in the plastic Darco membrane covering the underside. You can buy a roll of Darco tape, but I have never seen it on the shelf. I had a 6" tear in mine that I thought I was patching temporarily with the red Tuck tape used for vapor barriers, and it is as good as new 2 years later. Pretty cheap solution and I had a roll in house anyway.
http://www.can-save.ca/index.php?opt...=195&Itemid=93

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #4

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj
Good you caught that so quickly--the tire isn't even shredded. It's a little scary to see that kind of failure in what is supposed to be the strongest part of the tire.

Here's a link to wheels and their ratings.
http://www.dexstarwheel.com/products.html#changer
Click on "view specifications" below each wheel.
I suspect these wheels are all the same and are rated only for the tire that is going to be mounted. I just can't see a 15X5 falling apart above 50 psi when a similar 15X6 will take 75 psi. Also, you wouldn't have to run the LRD at 65 psi. I don't have that tire on my load inflation table, but a similar ST205/75R14 LRD is rated at 2040 lb at 65 psi, 1950 lb at 60 psi and 1850 lb at 55 psi.

I assume the pinholes are in the plastic Darco membrane covering the underside. You can buy a roll of Darco tape, but I have never seen it on the shelf. I had a 6" tear in mine that I thought I was patching temporarily with the red Tuck tape used for vapor barriers, and it is as good as new 2 years later. Pretty cheap solution and I had a roll in house anyway.
http://www.can-save.ca/index.php?opt...=195&Itemid=93

Henry
Yes - the pin holes are in the membrane underneath. I forgot what it was called. I will have to get some tape to seal it up. I hate to leave holes for water or bugs to come through!

And yes - I figured out what was happening pretty quick considering it was the first time it has happened. I was doing my usual 60MPH on a long strait stretch in the right hand lane, so I was able to slow down and move into the emerency lane pretty fast. And lucky for me, traffic was light at the time.

Thanks,
David
Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #5

SUN #379
2beagles
David,
The tape is called Flex Mend underbelly repair tape. I bought a roll on eBay and carry it just in case.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ape&category0=

You can also Google it and find some online stores who carry it.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #6

SUN #287
nickster60
If you contact Tireco they will send you a set of tires for free. I got 5 tires and my tire had 7000 miles on them.
nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #7

SUN #287
nickster60
Tireco 1-800-937-9433 in Caliifornia

Tell them your blew and have the DOT codes and they should help
Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #8

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematite
I have to say that I'm still amazed that tires with that much tread left on them just blow out willy nilly for no apparent reason.

Denman makes a good tire. Even if you inflate to the 50 lbs (wheel pressure capacity) with an 8 ply tire, you will still have a stronger, better quality tire than the originals. You won't have more weight capacity but since you will not likely load the Sunline to the max weight anyway, the point is moot. I would prefer to get bias ply tires, given the choice.
What is the reason for bias ply verses radial? I currently have radial, and I believe what I have looked at so far are radial.

I am leaning towards a Denman radial load C. It is available at NTB. The Goodyear Marathons(not Missions) I have found so far are $20 a tire more.

Thanks for your input,
David
Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #9

SUN #287
nickster60
P.M sent
Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #10

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
What is the reason for bias ply verses radial?
I am sure each has their own theories about this, but let me tell you mine.

I've used bias tires and radial tires on my trailers (never mixed, of course). I noticed the bias tires had stiffer sidewalls and "squirmed" less under load than the radials, especially on the heavier trailer, even though both types were of the same load range, size, etc.

My theory is that on the heavier trailers (and our 2499 certainly qualifies as heavier), I'd prefer less sidewall flex and tire squirm. So we replaced the old MAXXIS radials with DURO bias tires, ST205/75D15.

Several of our camping group from North Florida have these tires on their heavier trailers. I've used them on our old popup. Never had issues with suprise blowouts or chunks of tread flying off or mysterious ballons appearing in the sidewalls... unless of course you HIT something. Our experience is they are sturdy dependable tires. I never noticed any difference in gas mileage between radial and bias trailer tires on our popup. I have yet to test THAT particular part of the theory on the Sunline. We don't have a trip planned until the end of January.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #11

SUN #385
Hematite
What Dave and Cindy said was absolutely correct. When pinned down about radial vs. bias ply, tire manufacturers recommend bias ply for heavily loaded tires. They do squirm less and are much more directionally stable but most important are stronger in heavily loaded situations. If you add up the capacities of the tires on our Sunlines and compare to the weight capacity you quickly realize that our tires can easily be very heavily loaded.

I put out a search for TT blowouts and all the cases I found were radial tires. All the people that use bias ply love them. Naturally, like everything else, there are people that have no problems with radials. Everyone will have to make the decision for themselves.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #12

SUN #287
nickster60
Bias plys work great if you dont live in a warm climate. They dont do as well in the summer when things get really hot in the south and southwest. The get really hot and the tend to fail.I have utility 3 trailers for my company and have tried both and spoke to the trailer dealers in our area. I use radials the just hold up better down here
Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #13

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Latest update ...

I wanted to give an update on my tire situation...

First - Thanks to all who posted responses on this and the other threads discussing tire issues. And 'Thanks' to Nickster60 who posted the information on how to have a Mission tire replaced.

Tire Co has replaced my failed tire. It took two attempts, as the first tire sent was a R14, not an R15. The tire was made the 13th week of 2007, so it is not very 'fresh'. My plan is to use the tire as a 2nd spare. I will continue to use a Goodyear Marathon as my first spare. I will keep one on my current bumper mount and the 2nd in the bed of my truck.

I made the decision to purchase four new tires. After much research and discussion, I chose to go with the Denman radial ST tire. As you may have see in another thread, there was quite a lively discussion between radial and bias ply. I decided for my circumstances, the radial was a good choice. I think either would work well.

I purchased the tires from NTB. They do not carry them at their stores, but can have them delivered to a store within a day or two. I requested mine Sunday afternoon and they were at the store Monday morning. We debated whether or not to balance them, I finally convinced them to balance them. I did not find NTB to be terribly knowledgeable on trailer tires, but they were able to answer general questions about the tires I was looking for.

The Denman radials were made in Mexico. Two were made the 36th week of 2008, and two were stamped the 45th week of 2008. The tires seem to be slightly larger in diameter than the Missions they replaced. They fit fine, but I was able to notice the difference just looking at them on the trailer. For that reason, I will replace any damaged tire as soon as possible with another Denman, using the spare only as long as I have to.

I made my first trip out over New Years week. We visited Stone Mountain for the end of their Christmas program and then headed to Amicolola for New Years. (For those who like pictures - see http://photomacs.smugmug.com/Camping%20Trips.) No problems with the tires on the first trip out!

Thanks again for the input!

Later,
David