Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #1

SUN #21
donreitz
Tonneau Covers

We're considering a vinyl tonneau cover for our Silverado, the kind you can roll up when you need to haul something tall. Even a cursory search of the internet turns up a dozen or more manufacturers of the things and trying to figure out which ones are better than others is a real challenge.

I'm not interested in a full cap as I like the unobstructed rear view I have now. Also, we considered a hard tonneau cover with bikes mounted on the top, but have decided it would be easier and less costly (i.e., no need for mounting hardware) to simply store the bikes in the bed.

If anyone has any advice I'd sure appreciate hearing it.
Thanks,
Don

donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Don,

I have an Extang RT Tonneau Cover and am happy with it.

I bought in on-line from Auto Anything.com. They have a bunch of Soft Roll Up Tonneau Covers on their web store.

I have a friend that has a TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover and he’s real happy with his also.

I was recommended to get one with Velcro, not snaps. The Extang I have is flush where the TruXedo is slightly higher then the bed rail. I got the Extang because it was cheaper by ~$100 than the TruXedo. Both were rated well.

Got good service & price from Auto Anything. The Extang was very easy to install and they have good customer support and service. Had a minor problem with a broken latch, called Extang and they sent a new one out at no charge.

Hope this helps.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #3

SUN #21
donreitz
Hutch, thanks for the advice. The Extang RT looks like a reasonable middle ground between the cheapies and the expensive models. I think I'll give AutoAnything a call.
Don
Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

SUN #385
Hematite
I, and others that I know, have had good success with Extang products. I had a Tuff Tonno on my last truck and liked it a lot. For the new F150, I went with an Extang Express roll top. Just put it on over the weekend. It's a higher profile roll top that is extremely weatherproof. There are seals all over it! This is a new product this year. It sits above the bed, which you may or may not like. I wanted it for the weatherproof and convenience aspects. So far, I like it a lot!

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #5

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have one of those "snap to close" and roll up covers and would never buy another one. Check out the covers mentioned above. The type you snap won't work well under 50 degrees because the vinyl shrinks to the point where you can't stretch it enough to reach the snaps. In spring and fall I have to leave it in the sun for awhile but when it's cold, I have to dump a bucket of hot water on it and snap very quickly. I avoid opening it up especially in the winter.

It doesn't roll up well when it's cold either, gets very still and can't roll it tight enough to put the straps around it. I believe some covers today are more fabric than vinyl which is effected less by temperature

These are all concerns in cold climate only and this cover probably works very well in Florida.

There are many types vinyl covers now and they go for $400 to $500. I don't want a cap either and will probably replace mine next year with a "fold up in 3 sections" type which uses hinges and clamps.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #6

SUN #21
donreitz
Installed an Extang RT cover this weekend. It wasn't exactly a 20 minute operation like they suggested, but it went smoothly enough. I'm impressed with the quality of the hardware and having the rails marked "driver side," passenger side, " "cab" and "tailgate" made it almost impossible to screw up the installation. The cover fit tightly right out of the box. We're expecting good weather here in central Indiana for the next few days so I'll have to wait to see how waterproof the cover is.

Thanks to all for the help.
Don
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #7

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Don,

I find ours is pretty much water tight. Our truck came with the top bed rail protection covers, so I find a little bit of water leakage through the caps on the bed rail slots, but that's only during very heavy rains.

Enjoy your new Tonneau cover.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote