Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
Tires for Tow Vehicle

I blew a tire on my tow vehicle, (blessidly not while towing) so now I am looking at my options for replacement / upgrade.

Tow vehicle is a 1999 Ford E350 7 Passenger, with 58,000 miles on it (so most of the miles are towing, commute to work is only 2 miles)

It currently has all weather tires on the rear, and standard tires on the front. Previous owner (my Dad) but the all weather tires on the rear to help with it's lousy traction.

CJ's Tire recommended a Michelin
LT245-75R16~MIC~LTX M/S~E/10 BW 120/116R TL Item # 22606

I admit I am not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you, but I do read many of the threads. I know that I need to confirm recent manufacture date of the tire.

Any reccommendations?

I also asked them about valve stems (I've had two break in the past three years after going through road construction) they mentioned that they had a stronger / higher pressure stem that they could use too, does that make sense?

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hi Diane,

I'm glad you survived the blowout! Bad things can happen, when tires blow.

I've had Michelin LTX M/S tires before, but wasn't thrilled with their traction. They worked fairly well in four wheel drive, but not so great in two wheel drive. Our dually was the same way in two wheel drive, until I installed some aggressive tread LT tires on the back of it. I get great traction now, in two wheel drive!

Whatever tires you choose, I would recommend U.S. made tires. At the very least, tires made in North America. I just put a new set of tires on our Sunny. They are Firestone TransForce HT and are made in Canada. I was also able to pick the tires I wanted and chose tires as new as possible.

You can go to tirerack.com and choose tires by size. That will let you look at the tread patterns and pick what you think is best for you.

As far as valve stems go... I also had new high-pressure stems installed on Sunny's rims. They are very solid and I think they'll hold up for a long time! Here's a picture of the valve stems I had installed on Sunny:

The top washer is concave, so the rubber grommet will better seal the hole. I bought a couple extra, in case JohnB wanted to try them on his Sunline. I can get these valve stems for $1.30 each....

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
My wife had Michelin on her Toyota Camry. At about 5 years old and 25,000 miles they started cracking and leaking air. I found out the cracking is a common problem now with Michelin. Years ago they were considered one of the best.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
Well that is two serious strikes against Michelin then . . I need the traction and we don't put a ton of miles on so cracking would be a real pain

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put new Michelin LTX M/S2s on my Excursion in December. They are considered the best tire for that vehicle in stock size for an every day tire. I've been very pleased with the traction and the noise difference is very amazing! I haven't had Michelins before.

It's important to note that Michelin redesigned the LTX M/S about two years ago or so, re-naming the new one with the 2 at the end. They look a little different than the first, and I'm pretty sure the tread pattern is quite different now. The pattern now seemed to handle much better in the snow because it has big pathways to divert the snow out. It was nearly impossible to break the tires loose in the snow with these new tires, and my old Bridgestones were very easy.

I've got a set of LTX M/S 1s in the garage that came on a parts truck I bought (with the Powerstroke I'm using to convert). They were made in 2007 and are pretty worn down, but they have minimal cracking and I understand they have about 65k on them.

Yes, they are all made in the USA!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote