Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #1

SUN #269
medbill
Send a message via AIM to medbill
Sad news today and need some advice...

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted much recently because even though we're the proud owners of a 195sr I haven't used it because of my wife's illness and because I do not want to pull it with a vehicle that is at its limits doing so. I'm talking about my Tacoma. The reason we got this trailer was because we were planning on moving out to the family ranch in Idaho. Well we got some tragic news today our grandfather passed last night unexpectedly and we need to get out there.

My question to everyone is how tough of a ride it is all the way out Route 80 west. Here is the route... http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dubois...i=map&ct=title

We will travel dry and very light. We need to get out there. If anyone is familiar with this route and would like to share some info on it I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks much,

Billy

www.helpeddieryan.com

www.redwhiteandblueoutdoors.com
medbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:40 AM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Western Roads

When traveling in the west we always carry The Mountain Directory West. It lists and shows on maps all steep sections. I checked I-80 and I-15 into Dubois.

It shows only one steep section near Laramie, WY on I-80. It is a steep 5 mile long descent into Laramie. Descents are usually no problem if you stay to the right, keep it in a low gear and watch the temperature gauge. I mark my 'normal spots' on the gauges with an arrow of colored tape so I can tell easily when they move.

Normally the Interstates are okay. It's the off interstate roads that can have some steep runs.

Good Luck

Norm Milliard

Old 09-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #3

SUN #269
medbill
Thanks much, the off interstate road is flat as a pancake to the ranch off of I-15. My worry was getting through the part of the Rockies that we would be passing through from the east.

Thank you so much for going through the trouble of looking that up for us.

Billy

www.helpeddieryan.com

Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #4

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Our prayers are with you and your family. Have a safe journey!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #5

SUN #287
nickster60
I have towed over wieght on many occassions I hate to admit. I would suggest that you take it easy. Try to get in tune with your truck dont force it . You will probably do fine if you take it easy on it. I had a Ford Ranger that I towed many things with it put a pair of those helper springs on it. The probblem with under powered tow vehicles is at the higher speeds they just dont have the power. At slow speeds they tend to chug along. Idaho is a great place we will be moving to Idaho Falls in next year or so. God Bless you and your family.
nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Under Powered Towing

You didn't mention the configuration of your Tacoma but it seems to be adequately rated to tow you trailer. When towing with underpowered vehicle, we tow a T1550 with a Honda CRV, keep the vehicle nearer it's power peak by downshifting and watch your transmission temperature.

We do a lot of traveling with a Ford powered Bounder as well and shift when appropriate to control uphill (and downhill) speeds.

Our Honda has a manual transmission but our Bounder has an automatic and some of those long uphills can raise the transmission temps. I have reconfigured the windsheild washer to spray water on the transmission cooler on the long uphills from a new dashboard switch.

We're retired and are really never racing from place to place.

Norm Milliard
Old 09-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #7

SUN #269
medbill
Hey Everyone, we're still alive! Our maiden voyage with our new 195sr and first time ever towing and or using an RV turned out great even with the sad circumstances.

I have some great video and great pics. Only took a few but they are neat. We're just west of DesMoines, Iowa right now with about 1100k miles to go.

The Tacoma did it and I have video to prove it! lol The biggest problem is not being able to carry it loaded with water and not having a generator. Other than that its ok. Kept it out of OD with the ECT Pwr button on and its really helped eliminate a lot of shifting. No idea what the damage is with gas and tolls yet but will when its done. I know coming out I was running around 10-9mpg with high winds etc. Sway control was never a problem at all. It all worked out but of course I still want a truck with more pulling power that runs at lower RPMS. I am able to run her at around 2700rpm at 61-60 mph avg. God we love this trailor it has been a real emotional savior on such a sad occasion.

Thank you everyone for your help and advise.

Will post more when I get home. I will have lots to talk about.

Billy and Tedi

www.helpeddieryan.com

Old 09-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #8

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Billy & Tedi,

Glade you’re having a safe and uneventful trip and everything is working well with the Tacoma.

Looking forward to hearing your story and seeing your pictures.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote