Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #1

SUN #328
bugbite
Power Tongue Jacks > ease of balancing trailer & tow

A quick search of the terms "Power Tongue Jacks"

Revealed this and very very very many suppliers. This is but one mere example. I am not recommending them at all but citing a starter place in a search for qualtiy and price advantage. Yall tell me which ones are the best and best bang for the buck.

Who here has purchased a power tongue jack add on and from where?

Towshop, Atwood Jack.

http://www.towshop.com/atwoodjack.htm

" Lifting the tongue of a trailer with a manual jack can be a back breaking job. An electric power trailer tongue jack will get the job done with just the flip of a switch. No need to work up a sweat or skin knuckles when your hand slips. From a light weight utility or RV camp trailer up to the giant gooseneck trailers popular today, we have electric jacks that can get the job done. Atwood Lightweight, Deluxe, Heavy Duty and Marine Swivel will fill the bill. We even offer retro-fit kits to add electric power to the heavy duty gooseneck type jacks used on equipment and horse trailers. Ultra-Fab 3500 and Ultra 5th Wheel landing gear, as well as Hi-Power series jacks by Barker are all available at great discount prices. Click on any of the images below to see a larger view... "

Another example:

Ultra 3502 Power Tongue Jack - Camping World. Lift longer, heavier trailers with slideouts just by flicking a switch. Fast-action, heavy-duty tongue jack travels 10” in 30 seconds to save time when ...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=26643

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a BAL on our T-2670, bought from camping world and installed myself.

Have an Atwood on our T-280SR, factory installed.

Both are good. No complaints with either.

One suggestion, don't buy one until you have your trailer to make sure your get the right post diameter on the power tongue jack the fits the hole in the tongue of the trailer.

The tongue of the T-2670 had holes on the top and bottom of the tongue that we not perfectly lined up, so I had to enlarge the bottom hole to get the power jack to fit. That was a chore.

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #3

SUN #328
bugbite
>> One suggestion, don't buy one until you have your trailer to make sure your get the right post diameter on the power tongue jack the fits the hole in the tongue of the trailer. <<

Not to worry... I am still stymied on hitches.

Sorta' like the chicken and egg syndrome. We only have straight hitches here (2 kinds of drop) We were towing with a monster heavy 2 drop however we are talking 1/2 again as much or a tad more weight our Santa Fe was.

Not like we can go get a 1950 w/ them... sway, weight distro etc. We are talking I-75 all the way!

Hydraulic will have to come from Santa Claus.

Now I REALLY have a headache!
Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
We have a Barker 3500 - bought it used on e-bay I think we paid 60 -75 bucks - when we got it it did not work....read the directions, recalibrated it, and POOF - worked great - I think the former owner thought he stuck it to us!

Last month it stopped working, apparently water got into the head and shorted out a relay, called Barker - explained the situation and they shipped us a new one relay.....DH will remember to cover the head from here on in.....
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

SUN #62
rich2500
had a 2500lb atwood on our sunline and recently swapped it out for a ultra 3500 with adjustable foot,the atwood was by far a better jack.
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
John

Santa brought me a power jack last Christmas

I investigated Atwood, Barker and Ultra fab. All have reported to give good service. Don't know that yo can really go wrong on any of them.

I chose Atwood and have the 3500 ball screw unit due to my heavy TT tongue. Has the slip clutch and a better sealed top but still not very water proof. I still cover it.

There are pro's and con's to each. I searched around to get mine and shopped price once I knew what I wanted. At that time, http://www.etrailerpart.com/ Southwest wheel gave me the best price on sale. I had had good experiences buying from them on line.

1 pointer, make sure you get the heaviest rated one you can afford. Here adding more power is a good thing. Yes I'm using a 3500# rated jack on a 1,200# tongue. It lifts the truck and TT to set the WD bars with ease. Going 3500# on a 700# tongue might be too much over kill, but it will not wear out and you move it to your next camper. Sort of need to know what range you’re over killing it for.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote