Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 AM   #1

SUN #21
donreitz
New Hitch Technology?

I ran across, what is for me at least, some new hitch technology. The Propride hitch system (ProPride, Inc. Trailer Hitch - The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination) and the Air Safe hitch (Air Safe - Air Hitch Technology). The Propride appears to be an improvement on the Hensley system; the Air Safe seems like a cool idea, but whether it has any practical benefit to towing is another matter.

Anyone familiar with these products?
Don

donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
When I looked at the ProPride link, the first thing I thought of was: Lawsuit. Apparently they got away with it. This is one of the pitfalls of naming a business after yourself--when you sell it, you sell the name as well.

The Air Safe looks really interesting, but is very short on info as to how wd works with it. They don't show a single picture with wd bars nor do they appear to sell them. Hitches like 5th Airborne are a proven commodity for 5ers and I see no reason why they wouldn't work just as well for a tt.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #3

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I have read, the ProPride hitch is a "next generation" Hensley Arrow, designed by the same guy that designed the Hensley Arrow. There was some disagreement between Hensley (the man) and Hensley (the company) and they parted ways. The primary difference between the Arrow and the ProPride seems to be two fold... 1st, the struts used on the Arrow to control sway are replaced by a yoke. 2nd, the hitch bar which connects the tow vehicle and the trailer is adjustable in height, where the Arrow unit is fixed. (you can get several different height bars for your Arrow). There may be other more subtle changes you can't see.

I had never heard of the Air Hitch system, other than for 5th wheels. Looks cool.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Don

The Propride is like Dave was stating. Actually Jim Hensley and the sales manager left Hensley and started there own company, again….

The Propride uses the same projected pivot point technology as the Hensley but again like Dave stated does not have struts, has a center yoke and has an more adjustable shank. Those 2 features the powers to be back at Hensley said they would never work. I heard this thru the grape vine…. But it was the 1st thing Propride changed.

Since Jim made the 1st one he knows the patent and how to get around it.

The Air Safe hitch…. I have seen that but not studied in a while. I am not a fan of there marketing hype and some things stated are misleading. Not to mention they are overloading the Chevy receiver using that Jayco as dead weight on the hitch with no WD. However the concept is interesting. I studied the video now 4 times last night and they do not show enough how the WD part transmits load thru there hitch attachment. That part I have some concerns over until I can see more on how they built the hitch head. And as far as there statement it allows 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 WD transfer, that is for sure misleading. Cannot find an online manual to read up and more on it.

Have you found any?

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #5

SUN #21
donreitz
I ran across the Propride and Air Hitch while perusing an Airstream forum Airstream Forums - Airstream Owners Community (I’m a sucker for tin cans). A ton of talk about these products there, especially the Propride. I guess that makes sense as I see a lot of Airstreams with Hensley hitches. The Propride appears complicated. That’s not to say they’re not effective. Folks seem to swear by them (and Hensleys) so there must be something to the technology. But I prefer my relatively simple (and much less expensive) Reese setup which does the job just fine. Of course, I haven’t experienced towing with the Propride so maybe I’m just speaking out of ignorance. Towing with it may be a cosmic experience. What I don’t understand is the projected pivot point concept. I’m not sure how you can, in effect, move the trailer’s pivot point to near the tow vehicle’s rear axle, a point which is behind the hitch receiver.

As far as the Air Hitch goes, it seems like a cool idea, but I’m wondering if it’s an answer to a question nobody asked. I can see how the combination of a heavy duty vehicle suspension and a rough road might put stress on a trailer’s A-frame, but they’re designed to handle it (although that’s a sore subject for some 2499 owners I suspect).
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote