Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

SUN #614
ce2je12
Need New Tires on model 2499

Our last trip out we blew a tire, dry rot, just a mile from our storage place, we were lucky. We are looking into buy all four new tires or 5 new tires (spare). I do not want this to happen to me on the road. I would think there is the bottom of the tire line middle of the tire line and top of the tire line. Please give us some ideas of what tires work and what tires to stay away from please?

Are the ones that come with the trailer any good?

Thank You in advance.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the Goodyear Marathons.
I have had good luck with them on other trailers.
We'll probably be buying new tires for our trailer beginning of next year and will probably purchase a set of Goodyear Marathons to replace the OEM tires.
I haven't had any problem with the original tires. So I can't say anything negative about them.

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Marathons

We have Goodyear Marathons as well. We have only a year's experience but have 5000 miles on them with a good portion of that distance on a gravel road known for being tough on tires.

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRV
Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Power Kings, installed by the Goodyear dealer in Elk City, OK last July after I blew a tire just west of OK City. But, I had 20K on those original mission tires that blew.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #5

SUN #614
ce2je12
Thank You

Wanted to say thank you for all the feed back on the tires.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Our '99 T-2453 still has three out of the four original tires on it. They are General Ameri*Tire ST205/75R14's and they are marked "Made in U.S.A. (We lost the fourth one to a curb in Old Forge, NY a few years ago. It just jumped right out into the traffic lane and bit a huge gouge out of the sidewall! Actually, we got forced off the road by a lady who thought her half of the highway includes half of the oncoming lane. )

I park the trailer on a concrete pad, but the tires have either a rubber mat or a piece of 2x8 wood under them so they don't deteriorate due to the contact with the concrete. When I winterize the trailer, I remove the tires, and store them in an unheated shed. One side of the trailer never gets any sun, and the sun side has a piece of plywood covering the tires. There's roughly 25,000 miles on them, and plenty of tread left. No sign of cracking or other problems.

There were some previous discussion threads on here about replacement tires for TT's, and the general consensus seems to be to avoid any tires that are made in China. If you can get Goodyear Marathons that are made in the US, you're probably getting the best that is available. A few other brands seem to be OK.

Folks seem evenly divided over the Carlisle tires. Some love 'em and some hate 'em. I have Carlisles on our boat trailer, but that only gets about 1,000 miles a year. They are treated pretty much the same as the Sunline's tires: no contact with concrete, blocked from the sun while sitting here, and removed and stored inside for the winter. Carlisle tires are readily available and less expensive. I priced them for my son's boat trailer (same size as our Sunline tires) and they were about $85 a piece, mounted and balanced. Goodyear Marathons would have been roughly $10 to $15 more per tire.

At one time, we were planning to step up to a 5'er so replacing the tires on the Sunline probably wasn't going to happen for us. Now, we're thinking we may hang on to the Sunline for several more years. If the tires finally need replacing while we still have the trailer, I'll go with the Goodyear Marathons, too.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #7

SUN #115
emam
We also put about 30,000 miles on one Goodyear Marathon. It held up great, and I really liked the Scuff Guard on the side of the tire.

Finally had to replace it with lots of tread left due to a big nail that we picked up somewhere along the way. I didnt want to put a patch on the tread section of the tire and when the tire guy pulled the nail out, we knew no plug was going to fill that hole.

I'd recommend them.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #8

SUN #382
Mooney
According to Goodyear,

ALL the Marathons' manufacturing has been shifted to China.

I got stuck with them and I'm not too happy, but I kept the 3 Missions that didn't blow.

I have a photo stuck in my camera showing the blowout (a real, actual manufacturer defect- go figure) of the Mission.

Scary- no damage to the tire, except for the 2/3" area where it looks like someone stuck a screwdriver through the tread FROM THE INSIDE.

Right in the middle, where the steel belts (and polyester ones too) would potentially be damaged from banding the tires too tight for shipping.

I'll get the photo up someday....
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
According to Goodyear,

ALL the Marathons' manufacturing has been shifted to China.
Oh great

Next spring I'm due and was hoping to try the deal where if they could not get them in Canada or US to not order them. Does not look like my odds are in my favor anymore.

Now what?? The search continues.....

Greg, Thanks for the heads up.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #10

SUN #385
Hematite
At last check, Denman radial ST are made in Mexico and Titan bias ST is made in the US. As with Goodyear, that may change. The Titan radial ST is made in China.

At this point, I'd go with Denman radial ST, they seem to have a very good rep.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #11

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone considered DURO tires? I have used them on our popup and most of our camping group uses them, too... from popups to travel trailers.

The only reason I have the Goodyear Marathon's on our popup now is because I could not get the DURO's quickly enough, so we went with our second choice.

I will be carefully checking the tires on the 2499 we are looking to buy. If they show signs of age or wear, we will be looking to replace them immediately. Is the ST205/75-15 size the factory tire size on the 2499?
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #12

SUN #115
emam
the 205/75/R15 is the stock size.

One option you have is to move up to the 215/75/R15 Rated for a Sidewall E

We were unable to find any E rated tires in the 205/75/R15 size tire. The largest tire rating we could find was a C which stinks.

By moving up to the 215, we were able to go up to a E Rated tire which has a 10 ply rating!!!! The tires were only a slightly higher price, but I think well worth the extra cost to have double the ply rating!!!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #13

SUN #385
Hematite
Pat:

The only issue that has been mentioned before about going to a larger size is the wheels. They have a pressure rating of 50# and they are sort of narrow. Did you go to a different wheel when you changed to 215 size?

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #14

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
We did have to replace all FIVE tires on our 2499. We bought the DURO's bias-ply tires in the standard 205 size.

I wanted to change to the larger tires, but DURO only lists a 225 in either a 6-ply or 8-ply rating and BOTH recommend the larger 6-inch rim instead of the 5-inch one we have now, likely due to the higher-than-50-psi requirements.

I was not certain about fitment using the 6-inch rims, so we stuck with the 205's.

What manufacturer has the 215 in the 10-ply?
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #15

SUN #115
emam
I know we talked about this back in a different thread, but I still have the stock 5" rim. I know some say that isnt right, but the guy at the tire shop, some old timer that I asked this same question to looked at me like I was some idiot and said "why would this be a problem?"

At the time, I had a nail in one and a bubble in the other, so I just wanted new tires. We put them on in California, and drove from Yosemite, across to the ocean and up HWY 1 to Oregon, then over to Yellowstone and all the way back to Michigan and these tires still look like the day I put them on.

I honestly dont know if they even have a manufacturer name on them...LOL They just say something like Roadmaster on them and are made in China. When I asked about Goodyears, the guy told me the same thing "You're going to have trouble finding ANY timre made here in the states anymore, so you can spend a little more for a Goodyear made in China, or save a few bucks and get this no-name made in China."

They were both 10-ply and one cost (I think) $20 less than the Goodyears. For us, everything is usually what is available, so this is why we sometimes have 4 different tires on our camper at once

Right now, we have the stock 205's on one side, and the 215's on the other. Before we go back out on the road in mid-January, we're going to have the stock ones moved up to LT tires and I'm gonna find some that are the same size, but in the LT version rather than the ST brand.

There are a couple way long threads going on RV.Net about this, and no one can give a reason not to use the LT tires or why ST tires are better, so i figure I'll do a little experiment of my own and see which ones last longer or wear better.

One thing we did find that most places dont have ST tires, and once we had to wait a few days while one was shipped in. Every place had a LT version they could have sold us, so this will also be easier to fix on the fly.

I dont want to recommend anything and have someone have a blow out and it be my fault, but I'll be happy to be the test subject

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #16

SUN #115
emam
Just wanted to give an UPDATE on our current tires

We were in General RV getting the axles worked on and one of the technitions mentioned I needed new tires on one side. I told them I was going to get new ones, but dont usually get my tires from the RV dealer as they're usually a bit higher in price.

The manager told me he had a pair of 225/75/R15's that a customer had ordered a month ago that they were going to return and they'd vgive me a great deal on them

We've been using the 225/75/R15's now for some time and really like the way they ride and offer a better rating. You can move up to a Class 'D' or 'E' rated tire with the 225's over the 205's

The tires they had were Goodyear Marathon's with the scuff guard on the sidewall and were a Class 'D' tire. Not the 'E'' model I wanted, but they made me an offer I couldnt refuse so I threw 4 brand new tires on the 2499.

What I wanted to UPDATE was we've been driving sort of non-stop to find some place warm these last few days, and every time I pull over, I go put my hand on the tires to see if they're warm.

The 205's used to always be warm to the touch, and many times they'd be down right hot. Usually if they were warmer than usual, we'd stop for an hour or two to let them cool down.

The 225's have yet to be even warm to the touch. This was even after today when we drove for about 4 hours straight in 50 degree temperatures.

Not that this is a hot temperature, but I know before, the smaller tires would still be warm no matter how cool it was outside. I'm thinking because of the higher rating, which up's the load rating, these tires arent going to heat up as fast?

I'll keep everyone informed, but just thought I'd throw that out there to chew on for awhile

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com