Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #41

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2500
That's the same receiver I pointed out earlier from justforjeeps.com right down to the part number.

I would now accept that this is almost certainly the bottom line when it comes to the receiver capacity for the Commander: 7,200# max. trailer and 750# mx. tongue weight for WD.

No where did I find a receiver with any greater WD tongue capacity although a couple of the aftermarket units did claim 7,500# trailer weight but still 750# tongue weight. 7,500# vs. 7,200# would seem to be inconsequential if there is no difference in tongue weight rating.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
John,

You weighed my '05 2499 at 1175#'s, that was with full fresh water and of course the built in Onan generator in the front storage compartment, plus the other stuff up front, tools, etc.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #43

SUN #840
Terhune
John.........will be going to the Chrysler dealer this morning and hoping to get the hitch specs with the photo example of your sticker. In Rich's post on the oem hitch specs it looks like the Commander hitch with WD engaged is 2000 lbs....this 2000 lb. limit is alright isn't it?

I am going to the school parking lot (retired teacher) to do the unhitch and measure thingy and will try to get all the information you need and I hope I can get it right. Will make a print out of the pictures you sent if my old printer can do it without going "belly up" and go dead on me. I will get back to you as soon as possible. I will also let the air pressure down on the tires from 50psi that I put in a couple of days ago to I think it says 44psi on the sidewall. JIM
Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #44

SUN #62
rich2500
Jim what the oem specs mean for the hitch is that with the weight distributing hitch set up like you have you can put 750lbs of weight on that hitch,I'm not familiar with the 2499 so I don't know what for hitch weight it has or can get up to, but according to the folks here that do know that model you can easily hit 1000lbs of tongue weight which is the weight that is going on the hitch but you will be distributing some of that weight off of the hitch.the limiting factor here is not as much the hitch but the unibody chasis of the commander,that is why all the hitches available all have the same rating of 750lbs of tongue weight.Jim you also mentioned tire air pressures,if your max is 44psi then your tires are 105S not 105T which is what I posted for tire specs and what was considered oem fitment,definately lower them tires down to the 44 psi if that is max.
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #45

SUN #840
Terhune
info

John.......Chrysler dealer parts dept. closed and my salesman could not get to the book to look for the WD info on the hitch . He is to call my wife on Monday and let her know. I will be teaching school on Monday and will not get home until about 4:00. I hope to know something by then.

All measurements were taken and I hope I have them all....

Hitched and with WD engaged and measurements from ground to fender well bottom... like the picture and sitting in the driver's seat

right rear------31" left rear----31"
right front-----33" left front----33 1/8"

Not hitched and without WD

right rear---33 1/2" Left rear---33 3/8 "
right front----32 1/8" Left front--32 1/4"

(All wheel measurements were taken with tape like the photos)

Tongue measurements while hitched with WD engaged like shown in the photo--------19 1/4"

Tongue unhitched and no WD but leveled with electric power lift----18 1/2"

Approx. measurment from the center of the rear tire rim back to the center of the hitch ball is about 57" (eyeballed but close). Measured from the center of the tire back to ball center at about 45" (eyeballed)

Pulled the TT on the interstate 3 times for about a 4 or 5 mile stretch between exits. Tighted the friction bar the first trip and had some wind and was passed by one semi....still had some improvement in sway compared to the trip home from dealer. The next trip on the interstate I tighten the friction bar another 1/4 turn and I started feeling the difference and much improved...some wind and two trucks...trucks pushed some but I think it would be considered normal. Third trip I tightened the friction bar another 1/4 turn and it did pretty darn good. I can tell I have a load with the Commander due to wheel base (speed 55 to 60 mph...with 60 being the main speed...could have done 65 very easily) but it did well. All tires were set at 44 psi as it said on the sidewall and I got one small gust of wind that had a notable push on me. I had 40psi home from the dealer and I could feel a mushy rear end at times on the Commander.

Hope you can do something with the figures. Keep me posted and I am working on the hitch info but it looks like Monday before I get an answer (I hope).

Hopefully this can all be resolved by the 18th of May because I will be on my first vacation at a cabin in the Smoky Mountains at Maggie Valley, NC and will not be home for about 10 days. Will be trailering my Goldwing motorcycle with the Commander and riding the mountains for a while with my wife and friends. Looking forward to it. John I will be sending you an email. Again thanks for your help.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #46

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terhune

Approx. measurement from the center of the rear tire rim back to the center of the hitch ball is about 57" (eyeballed but close). Measured from the center of the tire back to ball center at about 45" (eyeballed)
Jim, I'm number crunching now and will be back but I can't figure this statement out.

What is the best eyeball estimate of: Center of rear axle (center of wheel) to the center of the tow ball?

I thought I understood that to be 57" from your note but then the 45 and its description counter acts that and there is 12 inch difference in the 2 numbers which even for eyeballing is a lot. So now I do not know which to use. 57 or 45? 12 inches is enough to really skew the math of WD transfer.

PS a quick one, the fender measurements are great!!! They also show your WD is not set right and your TT is nose high. Both are not optimized and both can aggravate sway in some conditions. However, until we get the receiver sorted out, I'm cautioning cracking up on the WD any more.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #47

SUN #840
Terhune
John....

The two figures were taken based on your typed directions in your post. I was confused so I took both measurements. In your post you stated to measure from the "center of the tire" and I assumed you meant from the center of the rim but was not certain so I did both. The 57" is from the center of the wheel (rim) to the ball and what you want and is eyeballed. The 45" is from the center of the "tire" back to the ball and is NOT what you wanted. Sorry for the confusion.

One thing not mentioned. There was no water in the fresh water-black or gray tanks when all measurments were taken and will not be when towing and only one propane tank has gas in it and this will also be standard when towing (will not use much propane when camping). JIM
Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #48

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terhune
John....

The two figures were taken based on your typed directions in your post. I was confused so I took both measurements. In your post you stated to measure from the "center of the tire" and I assumed you meant from the center of the rim but was not certain so I did both. The 57" is from the center of the wheel (rim) to the ball and what you want and is eyeballed. The 45" is from the center of the "tire" back to the ball and is NOT what you wanted. Sorry for the confusion.

One thing not mentioned. There was no water in the fresh water-black or gray tanks when all measurments were taken and will not be when towing and only one propane tank has gas in it and this will also be standard when towing (will not use much propane when camping). JIM
Jim, Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry I was not clear and confused you.

The English language .... the same words have so many meanings.... A picture is worth a million words for sure.

Center of tire, center of rim, center of axle can all mean the same thing or they can be different things based upon ones point of view. LOL

Center of tire can mean, the center of the big open hole in the middle like center of rim, and it can also mean center of the big chuck of rubber between ID of rim and OD of tire..... and have 2 totally different out comes. LOL Sorry for the mix up.

We are good now. I'll be back with some numbers soon.

John

PS Why do we drive on “Park ways” and park on “Drive ways”? There are a few more of those mystery teasers.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote