Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
How To File a Tire Failure Complaint

Hi Fellow Campers,

This summer I had 3 tires failures on the camper. See this thread for details of the saga; http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-14359.html

After researching trying to figure out why I had the failures I ran into something I never realized. With all the RV tire failures we hear about many, if not most, are never reported. The owner may tell their tire dealer about it, replace it, fix the trailer damage and move on. In fact I never knew who too even report the failure too if I had realized I should report it? In our case Sunline is out of business and in my case so is my tire manufacture. So what good would it do? Well, it can do a lot once reported to the right organization. The factory who made my tires in Mexico may still be in operation even if the parent company is out of business.

Then I learned about how to report a tire failure to the organization who actually tracks this information and has the authority to do an investigation and force action pending the outcome. This organization is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or NHTSA. I have an RV buddy who is a retired tire engineer and has a blog on tires. See here, RV Tire Safety He helped point me this way.

Telling your tire dealer may create some conversion between you and them, however action may not come from it. They are not required to report individual failures that I am aware of, however they may report it back to their supplier if the quantities of failures are large enough. I have heard it is thousands of failures.

NHTSA will start an investigation if they get enough complaints and with the right info contained, to do an investigation. There is for sure a problem in the RV industry with trailer tires. On our forum alone, several have had tire failures this year. Hopefully we as campers can help the cause with a little talk and action about filing a complaint with NHTSA. If you have a tire failure here is how to report it. The process is not hard but can be confusing if you have never done this before.

Here is the web site. Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Hopefully this thread will help explain the process. You first start with gathering up some information. I typed mine up on MS Word and then cut and pasted it in.

My report is below. The items in Red you need to round up. Things that are not needed. They do not need to know why you were heading to Aunt Sue’s for the family picnic or that it took you many days to get there. They really only want to know the facts about the tire, the camper and the way it failed.

In my case I had to file 3 reports and I linked the 3 by the NHTSA number they give you when the report is done. Each tire gets its own report. While my report has details to help them work through an investigation, if you do not have the weight slips, STILL file the report. The only way they will investigate is if the complaints are high enough.

Also ideal is to keep the failed tire in case they want to test it. Let them know you have the tire. If you have to give the tire to the tire dealer, warranty or other needs, get the information off the tire before turning it in. Take pictures of the failures. Direct sunlight is best for pics of black tires.

Quote:
This compliant is for a tandem axle trailer tire failure used on travel trailer camper. There are 3 tires failures with the set of 4 on my travel trailer. This report is for the first tire.

The tire in question is a Denman ST225/75R15 Load range D.
Type: ST Express Radial
DOT code: 4FEH M5M 1908
Tire installed: 4-5-2009
First tire failure observed on 4-21-2012
Miles used until failure noticed, 10,164 miles
Towing speed: 55 to max of 60 mph as standard towing speed on highway.
Air pressure of 65 psi checked at the start of each camping trip.
Tire failure occurred when the tire was mounted in the left rear position.
I have certified scaled weight slip that can be provided of the camper after the failure. The rear axle load is 4,040# on both rear tires. The total rated capacity of the rear tires are: 2,540 x 2 = 5,080# at 65 psi cold pressure.
Camper VIN 1LC2S2PXXXXXXXXXXX
Camper Manufacture: Sunline Coach Company, Denver, PA
Model Travel Trailer: Solaris SR, T310SR,

I am the original purchaser of these tires which replaced the original tires on this camper. The size, load range and inflation pressure match the OEM tire placard. I have pictures and can send if needed.

The tire had a tread bulge increasing the OD of the tire in an approx. 180 degrees of the tire and was found during camper axle maintenance. The tire was removed from service upon finding on 4-21-2012 before total failure occurred during travel and to prevent camper damage.

The tire was sent to a tire engineer and sectioned for analysis. Name can be provided if needed. I have pictures that can be provided to match with the engineers report along with his name and address. The report declared the tire failed due to detachment.

The failed tire was replaced with a new tire of the same size and load range, however a different brand.

I have all pictures and remains of the tire if needed for further investigation. Contact me for more.
They limit the characters. The format on the site is none…. Meaning it will scramble any nice clean format into one sentence after another. They will strip out any personal info before it posts live on their site. The only thing personal in the report was my VIN and they X’ed it out. Your email, home address and phone number is kept private. The main complaint is public.

Here are some pics of what to look for on the tire. The size, load range, brand and model of tire

Here is a must. The entire DOT code. You need all the letters and numbers

The load capacity is here

Your camper VIN is on your registration or on the front left side of our Sunlines on a sticker by the front clearance light.

Here is how to get to the report area: (this may change from time to time as the web site is updated)

Go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Go to the “Vehicle Owners” tab

Go to “Safety Compliant” under Defects and Recalls

Go to "Child Seat, Equipment or Tire Complaint"

Now you are in…. Here is where you cut and paste in your complaint, aAnd fill out all the rest of the questions....

For sake of a really long post...I am not going to list every step, you keep following the “next” key from screen to screen filling in info along the way.

I will bring up some areas that had me scratching my head on how to get past. Eventually I figured it out.

When you get to the screen that asks for mileage, they “do not” want a comma in the mileage. It will throw an error. My 10,164 it did not like. It took 10164 just fine.

Sunline Coach Company is not in their data base. So I had no manufacture. You have to get past this screen. The only thing I could do was to pick, “Unknown” and I typed in Sunline Coach Company in my complaint description.

When you get all done, you can print it. Do so and keep it. They also issue a complaint number. I issued my 3 complaints in early July. I have not heard anything from them. And I may never hear anything from them until the complaints get high enough.

Hope this helps and encourages you to file a complaint on your tire failures.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you John.....many of us have had tire failures and I know I did not report it....and now I know I should have!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Thank you John.....many of us have had tire failures and I know I did not report it....and now I know I should have!
x2!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
That info could be stuck in a file somewhere.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Thanks Folks, much appreciated.

It is not hard to find posts on most any camping forum about tire failures. It is hard to find if anyone has ever reported them. Or if they ever knew to even think about reporting them. I had no idea on how or where to do this either.

Well, maybe by talking about it there are now 4 of us who know and hope the number keeps rising to the point that some day, soon hopefully, the problem will be addressed in the RV industry about having higher standards and ratings for trailer tires.

Thanks

John

PS BTW, if by some strange chance you have the DOT codes of the failed tires you can still file the complaint. There is no time limit on when you have to file the complaint. You just need the info. You do not even need to have the tire.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote