Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Back up camera

Wondering about backup cameras. Dodge does not have one and we are thinking of adding one. Wireless or wired? Brand? Would appreciate any input.

2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a wireless system, el-cheapo, that can be purchased at Wally-Werld. I wanted it to be portable from vehicle to vehicle and only used for hitching up trailers. I used the inside monitor by just laying it propped up for viewing. This is OK since I don't use it every time I go into reverse. The camera is fastened to a suction cup mount that I can stick on any smooth surface. I have even use the camera for outside surveillance in the yard by using a 110V to 12V power supply and then another 110V to 12V power supply in the house. I rest the monitor screen on the table by my recliner.

What I don't like about this camera and monitor is the inability to view low light situations. When mounted to the back of the vehicle the backup lights are good enuff. The system is not as good as factory units by any means but does make my hooking up a one person affair. I can take the camera to the back of the travel trailer for backing but the camera view is not wide enuff for proper viewing. When used as security camera I can separate the camera and monitor by about 80 feet.

I now have two cameras that were purchased at yard sales for $10 each and am going to hook the other camera to the front of our Expedition, one day.

Hope you find something that werks for you.

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Our '11 F-150 did not come with a factory camera, so we installed a Yada aftermarket unit, Model BT53328M-1. Ours is wireless between the camera and the monitor. The camera mounts to the rear license plate with an incredibly strong adhesive strip; you remove the plate, mount the camera bracket to the back side of the plate (with the camera facing toward the front of the plate, of course), then reinstall the license plate. If you do decide on using this particular make/model, MAKE SURE you have the camera mounting bracket EXACTLY where you want it before you press it down into position, because you WILL NOT be able to budge it once you've placed it onto the rear of the license plate. I know this because I was off just a tiny in centering the camera...and now it's permanent.

I powered the camera off of one of the truck's reverse lights. This was easy to do: I only had to remove the tail light and splice into the wiring for the reverse light bulb. The only drawback to this, of course, is that the camera only operates when the transmission is in reverse; however, that's the only time we need to use the camera, so this is not an issue for us. The camera comes with a very long power lead, as some people choose to do the deluxe install and power the camera from the cab of the vehicle. A nice feature is that the camera can be rotated up and down in its bracket, so you can adjust it to find the view of your ball and coupler that's best for you.

The monitor, meanwhile (ours is the model with the 4.3" screen) powers off of any 12VDC port in the interior. It comes with a suction-cup mount but, like Jim, we just lean the screen up against our console so it sits upright, or hold it in a hand.

We have been very pleased with our system. As Jim mentioned, low-light operation is not the best, but the monitor is adjustable for contrast, and this helps a lot. Also as Jim stated, hooking up is now a one-person operation, which is a great benefit.

Amazon has our unit for about $130 right now. We've used it since May of 2014 with no issues at all. Very glad we spent the money. Total install took about 20 minutes.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I added this wired system.

SMART HITCHâ„¢ Camera and Sensor System

It works very well other then the depth of field sensor to tell you when to stop under the ball. That I have not perfected the exact setting. I find I really do not need it as much as I thought.

Being able to see the tow ball and back right under it is amazing. And it works at night too from the left over truck tail lights.

Wish I would of did this year ago. Backing up to my flat bed trailer was a real challenge and nothing shows above the tail gate. Now, no issues.

I used to use a back up mirror, that they works well too just it would get knocked out of adjustment from time to time

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:43 AM   #5

SUN #3259
Thanks all for good and detailed answers ! We have our work cut out to pick one, but nice to know there are such good options out there!

Old 03-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Have any one of you had issues in the back of the trailer with wireless drop outs? My truck has a backup camera but that does not help when the trailer is attached I had thought about a switch and another camera on the camper the reverse camera shows up in my mirror
Old 03-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

SUN #1830
Mainah, I have placed my "portable" camera high on the back of the trailer and it werked OK. Like on the rear of motorhomes. The problem for my portable if having power and to be able to reach high enuff to mount the camera. Picture stayed steady and didn't drop out. I did have to still pay attention to the mirrors and could only use camera for closer items but it did help stop me from hitting anything close to the ground. Higher tree limbs are another thing to consider.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

SUN #2097
OK thanks the early ones were pretty worthless.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #9

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
back up cameras

Swift Hitch Wireless Hitch Alignment Camera and Monitor - Night Vision - 4-Hour Camera Battery Swift Hitch Backup Cameras and Alarms 04928

This is the unit I have. Works good on my T-1550. Haven't tried it on the T-2053.

Wireless units can be sensitive to interference and distance, esp. big blocks of RV and trailers.

Simple to use.

Not for a permanent installation.

I should point out I bought my unit 2 years ago and I'm sure there are many more options in this area today.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

SUN #1830
I had tried using a magnet on the rear gate of our Expedition but it is non-magnetic/aluminum. That is why I use a suction cup windshield cellphone/GPS mount. I can stick the camera to the rear glass of the expedition high up so the view of the ground is wide as possible.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I have the wired unit and while it was more to install, the are no issues with it working with reception. Rain or shine.

The only wish when I did it was to put it on a dedicated toggle switch. Had to run another wire from the camera plug to the cab. Mine turns on when I put it in reverse. For non towing this works great!! When hitching up, it would be good to have it stay on when you want it. As if you pull ahead a bit, you loose the camera until you put it in reverse again. I have worked around it, but I would like to fire it up and have it stay up until I turned it off. And work with reverse. One of these days, I go back and create that feature.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #12

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I have the wired unit and while it was more to install, the are no issues with it working with reception. Rain or shine.

The only wish when I did it was to put it on a dedicated toggle switch. Had to run another wire from the camera plug to the cab. Mine turns on when I put it in reverse. For non towing this works great!! When hitching up, it would be good to have it stay on when you want it. As if you pull ahead a bit, you loose the camera until you put it in reverse again. I have worked around it, but I would like to fire it up and have it stay up until I turned it off. And work with reverse. One of these days, I go back and create that feature.
I have the same one and I agree a override switch would be nice, someday when I have some time maybe. Other than that works great, even at night. Install wasn't too hard, it has an inline plug that connects to 7 wire RV plug at the hitch, then run the cable up to the cab for monitor.

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #13

SUN #2097
Wire it to the parking light wire then you can have some control over it. Mine is factory wired it too comes on with the reverse lights so far I have not found it to be a problem. I will often use the 4 way flashers if it's dark and raining (or snowing) for a little more light. I did electronics for a local PD and of course cameras were very much a part of the equation I can say even leaving the cameras on with the key will not be an issue we had a few that were at least 25 years old that I replaced that had been running 24/7.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #14

SUN #3259
So, we got a wired unit- Pyle is the brand, from Amazon. Super deal as it was (really?) over $200 and now $64.

Tom has it hooked up already. In the basement.. to a spare battery. Handy if he should decide to back the garden cart up to the washing machine. Kidding ! It works well and he'll be working on getting it hooked up to the truck I guess he has some specific plan in mind. Will post details when he is done.