Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

SUN #1321
tjalmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Air bag helper springs....

I'm sure some of you have tried these, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on these.
I'm towing with a Solaris 2563 with a Chevy Tahoe. We use an Equalizer 4 way WD hitch. I've installed Bilstein HD shocks.
She tows well, but there is still a bit more squat to the rear than I would like.
Should I try the air bag spring helpers? I suppose I'd have to readjust the equalizer hitch.
Is Firestone the only option? Are there better airbags? What else should I consider that I haven't thought of?
Thanks,
T

Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi TJ,

Before I would do the air bags, we should help you adjust the WD hitch or find out if you have the GM receiver issue of too much flexing.

What year Tahoe do you have? I use to have 2 of them, one I used to tow with. I have set up several year 2,000 to 2007- 1500 Suburban/Tahoe's/Yukon's on campers with the WD hitch and if the receiver is working correctly, the WD will dial right in.

The air bags will not help move weight off the rear axle. They only raise the height. The WD hitch will shift some weight off the rear axle and help the overall sag problem.

Any chance of a few side pics of you camper hitched to the truck with side shot of the hitch area? I can tell by the angle of the hitch head if your receiver is giving you fits.

Hope this helps

John

PS. Also what size WD bars do you have and do you know your loaded camper tongue weight?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #3

SUN #1321
tjalmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you, John.

I'll take some pics in a few weeks when we hook up to go to Ft. Desoto for the first weekend in May. I've played with the hitch and got it dialed in so the front squats as well as the rear. I think more height is what I would like, hence the airbags.
Would the airbags cause any harm to the setup? Would a higher rear make it harder to dial in the weight distribution? As I said, she tows very well as it sits, I just wouldn't mind the hitch a bit higher off the ground.
The Tahoe is an '03, as is the Solaris. The receiver is not GM, but a "Hidden Hitch" I bolted under there so long ago. The WD bars are 1 3/8" and the tongue weight I have no idea.
Thanks,
T
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

SUN #5367
FiveORacing is an unknown quantity at this point
I had Firestone Bags on my Duramax crew. They helped with leveling with my fifth wheel camper. Didn't need a ton of air either just to get a couple inches back. Really happy with the results. Always just used a WD hitch when pulling the race trailers. One thing I was disappointed with the Firestone was there is a metal cable band around the center of the bag, between the two bag sections and it rusted terribly, so bad it literally rusted off the bag on one side. We took the bag off the truck and carefully welded a new cable ring around it while deflated and flattened out.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #5

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalmy View Post
The WD bars are 1 3/8" and the tongue weight I have no idea.
Thanks,
Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalmy View Post
I'll take some pics in a few weeks when we hook up to go to Ft. Desoto for the first weekend in May. I've played with the hitch and got it dialed in so the front squats as well as the rear. I think more height is what I would like, hence the airbags.
Would the airbags cause any harm to the setup? Would a higher rear make it harder to dial in the weight distribution? As I said, she tows very well as it sits, I just wouldn't mind the hitch a bit higher off the ground.
The Tahoe is an '03, as is the Solaris. The receiver is not GM, but a "Hidden Hitch" I bolted under there so long ago. The WD bars are 1 3/8" and the tongue weight I have no idea.
Thanks,
T
Hi,

Air bags in your case are for sure going to affect the WD and in most cases, in a negative way. They lift the rear axle which unloads the WD. I know your 03 Tahoe, I had an 02 when we first bought our T2499. The truck can be setup with WD without the need of air bags. And you changed the receiver already so that problem should not be there.

Do you know your truck fender heights, as measure at the wheel wells, front and rear, both unhitched and then hitched to the camper and WD engaged? This will give us and you and idea on how the WD is set.

Like this

Once the truck WD is set correct, that is it for the WD. If you are referring to dragging the WD hitch, a picture here can help a lot and we can suggest some ways possible to gain you more ground clearance. Using air bags to gain hitch clearance may help gain clearance however it will hurt the WD setup. Need to see what you are against to help better.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote