Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

SUN #8332
squeaky is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on getting a tag

So I had my in-laws purchase me a Sunny up in Virginia, and I reside in Florida. I'm up here now getting it ready to bring home, but I dont know what to do to get a tag on it.

Is there a temporary tag I can get that will let me tow it back to Florida (from Virginia through North and South Carolina and Georgia)?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check with Florida about getting it titled and tagged. They might can give a temporary tag like the thirty day tag on a car. Maybe. I do think I would title it in Florida instead of doing two titles, one in Virginia and then a new one in Florida.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Does your in-laws have the plate, title and registration for the trailer? If so use it to move to FL and do the actual sale after if you can.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #4

SUN #8332
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin View Post
Does your in-laws have the plate, title and registration for the trailer? If so use it to move to FL and do the actual sale after if you can.
Unfortunately not. They bought it in my place (I sent them the money for it) and towed it home without a tag (they live in rural Virginia so this wasn't a problem for them). I need to go to the previous owners and get a bill of sale. But right now all I have is the signed title.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

SUN #8332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Check with Florida about getting it titled and tagged. They might can give a temporary tag like the thirty day tag on a car. Maybe. I do think I would title it in Florida instead of doing two titles, one in Virginia and then a new one in Florida.
I've looked into that and its 4-6 weeks to get it mailed to me. Unfortunately I only have about 2 weeks before I need to get on the road back home.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

SUN #8479
DaveSha is an unknown quantity at this point
I once bought a trailer in Florida and they supplied me with a " paper Plate " to hang on it until my reg plate showed up….Maybe you can print one off the internet if you contact DMV…..Also on the registration on a trailer you can sell it without a title…I think the registration is the title….On a auto sold in NY and registered in Florida, the dealer did it all in about an hour and gave me a temp plate also….Just throwing some instances I had, out there….I wouldn't advocate driving it with another persons trailer plate, but it has been done….I had a hard time with my title on the Sunny I just bought cause the PO had been driving it on his dump trailers plate for years and never transferred his title from the guy he bought it from….NY says 30 days and you must apply for the title…( Tax I suppose)…I finally got it straightened out thanks to a sympathetic DMV clerk….I suggest another phone call may be in order to Florida DMV….I live in NY and Florida personally….If you can get a pistol permit in NY and you are a Florida resident ( like I am) you should be able to get a plate to transport it ….Another thought , know anyone with a dealer plate you can borrow.Good luck anyhow..Dave
Old 07-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #7

SUN #8332
I dont know why I didn't think of this, but Im going down to the local RV dealer and talk to them to see if they can help me get a temporary tag.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:51 AM   #8

SUN #8479
DaveSha is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
I dont know why I didn't think of this, but Im going down to the local RV dealer and talk to them to see if they can help me get a temporary tag.
…Patience and shuffle the cards….…Hope it works out….Dave
Old 08-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #9

SUN #8332
Well I got lucky. We ended up getting a transport tag in VA (courtesy of my Father-in-law who is a resident). We stuck it to the back window and prayed before heading out. Thankfully we didn't have a single run in with the police on our 900 mile trip home. Now that I'm here, we'll be heading to the Tax Collectors office soon to get her properly titled and registered.