Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #1

SUN #987
awellis3
Advice from an auto mechanic (long post)

I'm cooking a country ham today so I have a few hours of pot minding to burn. (Pun intended) I'd like to share a few insights I've gained through my experiences as a mechanic.

First up, the phrase that pays. This works in repair shops that are "factory authorized," such as auto and RV dealerships and may also work for shops with outside franchises, affliations or sponsors such as Sears, NAPA or Midas Mufflers.

Here's the scene (true story). Bill took his new-to-him used van, that he bought from a dealer, back because the transmission had a shifting problem. The van came with the remainder of a 5 yr. power train warranty. Repair attempted - van still had problem. This goes on for several visits.

He asks me what to do so I tell him what to do and say, and I admonish him to remain calm and stick to this script.
1) Gather all pertinent documents and repair receipts
2) Make an appointment to see the service manager
3) Say to the service manager, "Look, I know that you and your mechanics have done everything you can to fix my van. I know your mechanics take pride in their work and would never knowingly return my van to me unless they had given their best efforts. Obviously, this van's problem is unique and beyond the scope of even your best technician's training. I know you want to fix my van. I am going to get you the help you need. I want us to meet with the factory man."

At this point you have done several things:
1) You have established yourself as tenacious customer without being abusive or confrontational
2) You have indicated trust and confidence in this man's desire to do the right thing by you and complimented the hapless technician who really has been trying to fix the van. (Trust me on this. Techs don't get paid to work on "come backs.")
3) You have now enlisted yourself as his partner, not adversary, in the attempt to resolve the problem

When you meet with the factory rep, you tell him how this service dept. has done everything they can and the problem still exists. Then you say, "I want you to get this man (the service manager who's sitting next to you, and that's important - you're partners) and his technicians the help they need to fix my van, and I expect you to do this in a timely fashion."

Bill got a loaner, the tranny was sent back to the factory where it was deemed best to give Bill a new, not rebuilt, transmission. End of true story.

Next time you have a repair problem, try this scenario. I offer my lifetime, money-back guarantee it works,
Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Sounds like a winner! I just wish I had something with some kind of warranty on it!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote