Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #1

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Adrenalin Rush

We drove up from Wauchula to Palm Harbor, FL to spend sometime with our son and his wife who are flying in from Seattle for a week.

Part of the way we took route 39, a four lane, non limited access divided highway, with very little traffic. A brand new extended cab Chevy Truck pulled from the median to cross to a side road, crossing the highway in front of us and stopped blocking the two lanes, waiting for another car to make a right turn into the same side road. We had no alternative but to fully apply our brakes.

It was our first true emergency stop. We laid down a strip of rubber and fortunately the trailer handled well. It did not deviate from a straight line. Of course our bodies coursed with adrenalin but thankfully no damage to anyone.

For those of don't know our little Sunline has a friction bar. I wish I could have seen the dynamics of the situation but I was probably praying.

Safe travels

Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #2

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh my!!! That had to be scary. Glad everything worked out ok. I think I'd have to pull over and sit awhile to collect my nerves (maybe even get a change of clothes). Some people just don't think. Semis, motorcycles, and anyone towing always get plenty of room from me. Again, glad you're ok and no damage to your Sunline or TV.

clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fortunately we were only going 50 mph or so but I did have visions that were none to pleasant. The first piece of advice I received on this site was to get the friction bar. I believe the quote was that you'd be happy if you had it in an emergency stop.

I can't say it prevented the trailer from getting out of balance and swinging around but I'm sure helped in the right direction. It did seem that the brakes came on together and I'm sure that helps keep things working together.

I test each brake to see if they work each summer but you can be sure I'll look even closer at both brakes this summer.

Thankfully,
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote