Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

SUN #8084
MikeW is an unknown quantity at this point
97 f150 & t-24

Hello to my new Sunline friends. I will be picking up our new/used 1996 Sunline Saturn T-24 tt in about 2 weeks. We are so excited. I have done lots of research on our tow vehicle to be sure we have sufficient unit to pull it safely. I can't find anything that tells me I am under powered or chassied. We have from new a 1997 F150 4.6v8 2wd standard cab 1/2 ton short bed with 99,000miles and 3.55 rear gear. Large trans cooler installed at new by myself and perfect regular maintenance performed throughout it's lifetime. Owners manual states we can tow up to 7000#. I had a chat with an experienced rv salesperson and he told us more like 63-6500# is realistic and we are well below that with a trailer GVWR of 5500#. One thing I haven't been able to find is the factory stated dry weight of the trailer. I do understand it will be slightly higher than the specs due to options and supplies required but can anyone give me a rough idea of what the trailer should weigh empty? The original owner isn't sure and it's not stated on the decal on the trailer.

Also if anyone has any thoughts on our tow vehicle and it's abilities/ limitations please feel free to offer up your opinions or facts. Our truck is tuned with a Superchips programmer to tow mode running 90 or higher octane fuel. A K&N high flow air filter/intake system and I installed an add a leaf kit to the rear suspension( a full leaf on both sides. Not the clamp on style) 2 yrs ago for towing our current trailer...a 1999 Starcraft Travelstar hybrid 17ft trailer. Weight of that trailer comes in around 3500# and we have towed this with ease even when the truck is heavily loaded and the tanks are all full on the trailer.

FIRE AWAY!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
In my opinion it sounds like you should be OK with your F150. I tend to prefer to use the GVWR as the target number and it sounds like the sticker GVWR of 5500# should be ok with your truck. Sounds like a wise salesman that said the 7000# would realisticly 63-6500#.

Usually there is a sticker inside the trailer that has the actual dry "as built" weight. Most often a sheet of paper inside a closet door.

If you go to the "Files" tab at the top of any page here you can find the brochure for your year and that usually has the numbers too.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

SUN #8084
I found the brochure for the 1996 year units that were made and the weight chart for them as well. According to the chart our Saturn T24 dry weight comes in at about 3855# with a max gvw of 5500#. Sounds like we will be within specs as I expected. Thanks for the tip on the brochure files.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

SUN #8087
Kimmie7666 is an unknown quantity at this point
We are in the process of buying a 1995 T-2160 and want to know its dry weight and tongue weight. Cannot find a manual. We would be towing with a Ford F-150 V6
Old 02-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #5

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Kimmie7666 - go to the top banner and click on files, then scroll down to brochures.....once there (most likely on page 2) check for 1995 brochure - download it and you should have the info you need for your 2160 - usually on a spreadsheet giving all the details.....

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new Sunny!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Dry weight is deceiving it does not count things like batteries, propane tanks, propane water etc but your loaded weight should be fine with a 1/2 ton full size.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
I towed a 2000 t-24 with a 2001 Silverado with basically the same setup. It bogged down a little on hills, but otherwise was no problem. Get a good weight distribution/anti-sway system. I recommend the Reese dual cam (straight line) system.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

SUN #8084
Quote:
Originally Posted by j52wf View Post
I towed a 2000 t-24 with a 2001 Silverado with basically the same setup. It bogged down a little on hills, but otherwise was no problem. Get a good weight distribution/anti-sway system. I recommend the Reese dual cam (straight line) system.
I got the complete hitch and WD bars and all with the trailer. I actually haven't towed it yet. The guy I bought it from had it hooked up from towing it to his house to clean it out so he just brought it to me. I wanted to pick it up so I knew how it felt but now that will be for another day. This way I will be able to get it all setup at home and make sure it's adjusted properly for my truck anyway. No surprises with a quick hookup to tow home. He gave me the sway control attachment but he told me he never uses it/ wasn't needed. He also told me too many forget they have it on when they have to back up and that creates other big issues potentially as well. So one nice day when the weather breaks I will spend the time to set it all up properly for my truck and take a ride around town to feel it out. My only small concern at this point is climbing hills with our smaller 4.6 V8 engine. All my friends have the bigger motors in their trucks. Lucky them haha. Thanks again for the responses!
I've been having a great time cleaning it up and getting familiar with it inside and out.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

SUN #2366
Trust me when I say you will need it if you tow at highway speeds. I towed once without proper anti-sway and it was white-knuckle driving whenever a big rig passed me. The Reese straightline system does not need to be removed for backing up, which is a nice feature. A little pricey if you buy it new, but well worth it IMHO. I sold my first one with the trailer (big mistake). Bought my current one used on Craigslist for $300 including the WD hitch, ball, and 12000# bars. You will feel the small V-8 straining on hills like 7 mile in the Poconos, but it can make it. Finally traded the 4.7 in for an 8 speed Ram 5.7 Hemi last year in anticipation of a trip to Sturgis with the trailer. BIG DIFFERENCE even with a 3.21 rear. Took 7 mile hill at 60+!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #10

SUN #2366
MikeW,what part of PA are you from? We camp in Tobyhanna during the fall at Hemlock Campground.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

SUN #8084
7 mile hill on the turnpike is a tank emptying, never ending ascend to the next fuel station for sure LOL. But I easily cruise up that with close to 4000lbs with our Starcraft 17ft hybrid and a loaded truck bed at 65-70. BUT...this 24footer is gonna be easily another 800-1000lbs to pull. So we shall see. I get no sway at all with our StarCraft even when passing trucks. My biggest issue is breaking the air wall when you get alongside a TT going uphill. It stops you dead in your tracks.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

SUN #8084
Quote:
Originally Posted by j52wf View Post
MikeW,what part of PA are you from? We camp in Tobyhanna during the fall at Hemlock Campground.
Whitehall. I live 1 mile from the Lehigh Valley mall off RT22 near Allentown exits. The only campground north of me we have been to is Lake Glory near Knobels. We typically camp at regional racetracks mostly. Big dirt modified fans. Our campgrounds we frequent are Mountain Springs, Robin Hill and Appalacian. All within 45 mins of me. We love Frontiertown in Ocean City, MD but we usually get a hotel when we go down there. It's a long haul with a trailer. Only pulled that trip 3 times over the years.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #13

SUN #2366
Know your area well. I make pickups on Greenleaf St. in Allentown. I've towed from Niagara Falls, Canada to Rodanthe, North Carolina and west to Sturgis, South Dakota (a 14 day, 9 campgound, 4000 mile trip). Spent the last 30 Memorial Day weekends at Cherrystone Campground in Cheriton, VA on the eastern shore.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

SUN #8084
Update after a few pulls. No issues whatsoever evn pulling some very steep hills. Slow going but never feel like our truck is being abused just to get it rolling. Now fuel mieage compared to our previous trailer on the other hand......well that seems to be almost cut in half. But we haven't taken any pure highway trips yet. Mostly on 2 lane roads to this point. Happy as a camper!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

SUN #2366
Are you going to be in Dover for NASCAR this weekend?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #16

SUN #8084
No but we are camping this weekend locally. 3 day weekend coming up. "Boondocking"
Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #17

SUN #2366
I stretch that 3 day weekend into 5 nights at Cherrystone RV Campground in Cheriton, VA. Been going there with the same group of friends for almost 30 years.