Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #1

SUN #890
mrileyw
Wrong sealant on rubber roof

We did not write down the information from this forum and purchased the wrong sealant for our 2005 267SR rubber roof. Instead of Dicor 501 we bought, and put on, Dyco Flow Seal. I have one dealer telling me this will make the leak worse and one telling me it won't hurt the roof, it will just dry harder and next time I can use the correct Dicor.

What is the consensus of the forum?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Mary Beth and David, there are a lot of caulking materials, so similar names aren't surprising, and this stuff is also sold by many RV dealers because it is apparently used on metal roofs. I've never heard of Dyco, but Google returned this page:

http://www.dycopaints.com/Caulking.asp?details=6

They do have a "contact us" link at the bottom of the page,with an 800 number, and I would suggest you use that, or email to see what action, if any, you should take.

How big an area did you cover? How does the roof look and feel under the Dyco? Is it soft or seems normal?? Read the label to see if it has any removal instructions. Do not use any kind of solvent--alcohol, varsol, turpentine etc--you name it--on your roof--dish or laundry detergent and water only. EPDM will be softened and weakened by petroleum distillates and that would be a concern if Dyco contains those. If it contains petroleum distillates, I think I would try and peel it off ASAP and scrub the area thoroughly with soap and water.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
C10 - Flow Seal
Flow on sealant is formulated with DuPont Hypalon, which forms a tough, flexible, syntheticrubber seal for vents and seams on metal roofs.
Available 11 oz. tubes.
Colors: White, Grey, Ivory
Do not use on EPDM Rubber
I'd suggest you call ASAP - the above quote is from their ad.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #4

SUN #890
mrileyw
The sealant was put all around the roof seals on 7/6/09. As suggested, I called Dyco and they said it should be fine. The ripples should settle down. I was put through someone with technical knowledge and he said to call him back in a week to let him know that the everything settled. Also the RV dealer said it should not hurt the roof - that it will dry harder and then next time we can use Dicor 501. Thank you.