Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

SUN #4773
bstang1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Worried about my 2002 T-2470

I was wondering if I should be concerned, I have an outside wall bubble fr floor to ceiling bubble/warp, it is in the master bedroom outside wall, where the kitchen wall meets the bedroom wall, no stains, water, or anything? Any help would be great thanks

Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Delamination Fix

I'm guessing you have fiberglass siding and a problem known as delamination, usually caused by water.

Google "repair delaminated rv siding" (no quotes) for dozens of hits. PPL sells a repair kit--you can download the instructions first to see if you're up to the repair. Also search or check the previous hits from RVnet for lengthy discussions of the the problem and possible solutions.

Delamination is most common around openings like windows because they are prone to leak, but then the bubble will just extend down from window. A full height bubble could be poor workmanship, but could also be a small leak in the roof edge sealant that is just getting into the siding. You'd be unlikely to catch a bubble up that high early in the process. I'd get up on a ladder and poke around at the roof edge to see if there's any kind of leak before you try any repair.

I don't know of anyone on SOC who has had a problem, but most SOC rv's are aluminum sided. After reading a bit, come back with a few more questions. There are some really knowledgeable people on tracking down and repairing leaks even if they haven't dealt with delamination.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #3

SUN #597
henryj
I should have said... make sure you do have delaminaton before you get worried. In the right light I can see every stud along the outside of my 2499--Filon sheeting is so thin and wood framing is rarely perfect. Tap the bubble and good siding with a fingernail or screwdriver handle to see how it sounds.

Henry
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

SUN #4773
Thanks for the info Henry,
Like i said its not showing any signs of water, but i will take out the electrical outlet, and the tv antenna booster outlet, and run an inspection mirror down there, and see whats goin on, i think its a defect in worksmanship. again its were the wall meets the kitchen wall, and you can push on the wall, about 8" wide from floor to cieling. i did do some research with your info, thanks again happy camping!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi bstang1,

Just confirming, the bubble is on the "outside" exterior of the camper, not the inside? Correct?

You did say outside wall but there are interior walls inside the camper and walls on the inside that could be called outside walls.

Only reason I bring this up is I have a luan bubble inside the camper on an outside wall. Thus the questioning of which side of the wall it is.

Henry was for sure talking exterior and you seems to confirm that, just asking.

Good luck with your camper.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #6

SUN #4773
Hi John
Yes it's the inside of the Outside wall
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #7

SUN #4773
Also just found dark line across kitchen floor just before entering the kitchen floor, kinda like a hump, tapped with hammer, seems solid not mushy, almost like a seem line?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #8

SUN #597
henryj
Well, that's actually better and simpler. Still, make sure it is a bubble with air behind it--warped framing can't be fixed.

First, decide whether the bubble is really aggravating--you posted the question so presumably it is. If the thin skin on these panels is at least somewhat similar to the decorative skin on a fiberglass Sonoflex ceiling panel, you can cut the skin with a very sharp blade... or tear it and make it worse.

If you cut the bubble from top to bottom, you could spread some glue back there in the slit and roll it out like it's a piece of wall paper. It's possible the cut won't join neatly, but could be covered with a seam binder similar to what Sunline used on the other panel joints. The cut should be very straight and vertical. You have to judge whether the cure is worse than the disease. A picture would be helpful for us to see what you're dealing with.

I'd still check further for water leaks. Home inspectors use moisture meters. They can cost anywhere from $20 to north of $500 and you probably get what you pay for. See if you can rent/borrow one or hire an inspector for about 10 min. between jobs.

Water under a vinyl floor will always create discoloration --on a light color floor it will be blotchy and blue-gray, unmistakable really. It doesn't sound like you have that problem and--without seeing exactly what you do have--I'd be tempted to put up a board with some coat hooks and a boot rack--out of sight out of mind.

Henry
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #9

SUN #4773
Here are a couple of pictures of wall, not really noticable, but wall pushes in and pops back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunline wall.jpg (62.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg suline wall2.jpg (38.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

SUN #89
Hi Bstang1,

OK the inside... Got it. The pics help, so we know you are talking about the luan wall board. The pic is deceiving, cannot really tell it is bowed out. If you want to show the bow, put a 4 foot level or some other straight edge across and take a pic looking down. The contrast between known straight and the wall should jump out.

I happen to have an extra 4 foot wide by full camper height piece of that wall board. I acquired it from a very good friend who was taking apart a Sunline that was wrecked from a highway accident.

The wall panel is 1/8" thick luan with a vinyl type of really super thin covering glued to the luan. Sunline then glues that panel to the wall studs. Sometimes there are mini staples in spots that need a little extra holding power.

I suspect (I'm educated guessing) in your case, when the camper was newer the glue let loose between the studs and the back of the wall board. The camper may have slightly shrunk and popped the wall board loose. I have never seen a full length one, but I can imagine it can be. Pending floor plan, there are not many places that have a wide panel, 4 foot wide the full height of the camper with out some kind of something else attached. Like a cabinet, a mirror, a shelf, a window etc. In my big camper there is only 1 wall that comes close to a full panel with nothing on it.

Now how to get rid of it. If the panel will push flat to the wall and can be held flat, then white paneling nails or mini camper staples might hold it. Or you create a nice full length wood strip painted or stained to make it look good and put it full length screwed/nailed to the wall studs.

If the bubble will not compress flat, well it is like Henry was stating. You would have to strategically find the wall stud, slit the full length on the center of the stud, take out a mini piece to allow it to lay flat. Some of the lumber yards have 1/8" thick white panel joints. They are plastic and 2 1/8" sheets slide in them. See here, Sunline used them on the ceiling.

See here on my ceiling joint. The plastic joint piece. The walls are made just like the ceiling inside, just they use different wall vinyl.

To cut the luan, it may be a slitting job. Using a firm thin aluminum straight edge etc, slit it with a sheet rock knife and a real sharp blade. It will take a while to slit it and the risk of slipping is high unless you create 2 straight edges on both sides of the blade. This is not easy. One of the new vibrating tools with a wood cut off blade may be more controllable.

I agree with Henry, make sure you really want to slit this thing.... or can live with it.

On mine I have a buckle above a window in the bed room. It was like this since I bought it and the camper was only 2.5 years old when I bought it. So mine buckled when the camper was not that old. I suspect mine was shrink related. Mine is stiff and will not push back. There is a valance on the window and other than me, it is not noticeable so I have left it. The actual bowed board is about 5" tall by about 16" long. There is a window frame holding it flat by the window. The top is the 5" from top of window to the ceiling and where the bow is. Mine is not water related. It is bone dry and no stains at all. For 5.5 years now since I have had the camper, the bow is still solid hard and staying put, bowed.

Hope this helps

John

Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #11

SUN #4773
John,
Thanks so much for your very informative reply, i can definitely live with the bow, its only a slight cosmetic that is noticeable, i was just making sure it wasnt from wetness, i think your right about the shrinkage of the trailer, as it did originally come from Florida.

Thanks Again,
Brian
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #12

SUN #89
Hi Brian,

Glade it helped. A Florida camper, H'mm yes it may have played a role in this.

Happy camping

John

Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #13

SUN #2302
sarahcamping is an unknown quantity at this point
So interesting ... We just removed the rocker / swivel from our T1950 and noticed a lot of buckling on the wall... on hitch end... have been worried and also added a post about it. how ever..... the wall does seem "soft".. so thinking that is not a good thing.. urgh... we are a bit handy, but have no extra cash right now for repairs.. hoping it's only cosmetic !! fingers crossed