Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

SUN #8484
dbwiseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wiring issue, 1985 T1950, wiring diagram available?

I have a 1985 T1950. There's a gray wire in the camper's harness that's not connected to the plug that goes into my truck. I need to reconnect it, but not sure to where in the plug. Is there a camper wiring diagram I can download or view on line somewhere?
Attached Images
Attached Files

Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
My guess if every thing else works reverse lights. It will go the the center pin there is no set color for the reverse light red,purple,orange or in your case probably gray.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwiseman View Post
I have a 1985 T1950. There's a gray wire in the camper's harness that's not connected to the plug that goes into my truck. I need to reconnect it, but not sure to where in the plug. Is there a camper wiring diagram I can download or view on line somewhere?
Open up the connector and determine which terminal doesn't have a wire on it. That will be your answer. There is a drawing of the 7 way connector in the files area with everything labeled.

Just be aware that not all 7 pins on the vehicle side may be connected. You'll have to check with a multimeter or test light to be sure. On older vehicles, it was common not to wire the reverse lights. Newer vehicles like my '12 F250 have all the wiring connected up and functional right from the factory, provided that all fuses are in place.

And, unless there are backup lights on the trailer, that 7th wire may not be connected to anything on the trailer side. The pigtails on the travel trailers always used 7 wire cable, even if the reverse lights were non-existent.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

SUN #2097
Most modern factory TV wiring will have a reverse signal (home made probably not) and you don't usually see backup lights on campers any more but the reverse signal is used for surge brakes often found on boat trailers and UHaul stuff it is a disconnect for the surge brakes so you can back the trailer up. Older campers are more likely to have reverse lights than some thing newer my 1990 has reverse lights frankly the only reason I can see is just to let some one know you are going to backup because other than that they are pretty worthless.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

SUN #8484
Thanks for the replies. While one lens on each side is clear in the middle, it does not appear to have back up lights, each bulb is a double element. Not sure about the back up brake feature that was mentioned but I'm guessing they're just standard electric brakes. I am going to open up the plug to see if one terminal is minus a wire. I'm also going to connect my truck to the camper, power everything up, connect my volt meter & see if this gray wire gets power to it. If not, I'm guessing it may be an extra ground, but I haven't pulled the seat up inside to look at the power box to see if it's running to it.

Keep those idea coming. I'll keep ya posted as to my findings.
Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #6

SUN #2097
A clear lens is indicative of backup lights should have a single filament bulb and have two sockets. Grounds are pretty much standard white wires as far as trailer wiring is concerned and Sunline white wires are grounds also. You didn't mention what you TV was if it is a 7 pin factory tow package it has a reverse signal that will light backup lights or disconnect surge brakes. Your camper does not have surge brakes they are electric (powered by a blue wire). Surge brakes are used on boat trailers because their brakes are often underwater.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you sure it went to the plug? the split wire loom doesn't look original and i suspect the gray wire didn't go to the plug originally. The yellow wire in that harness should be the back up lights. Maybe it went to the Breakaway switch?
gary g
Old 09-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrvguy View Post
Are you sure it went to the plug? the split wire loom doesn't look original and i suspect the gray wire didn't go to the plug originally. The yellow wire in that harness should be the back up lights. Maybe it went to the Breakaway switch?
gary g
d
I think the only way to resolve this is to trace the gray wire and see exactly where it goes. If it is something added by a previous owner, there's really no way any of us can answer this remotely. It's an '85 so almost anything could have been added over the years.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #9

SUN #2097
Pin 1 ground white pin 2 trailer brakes blue, pin 3 tail light brown, pin 4 12 volt battery charge red, pin 5 right turn and stop lights yellow, pin 6 right turn and stop green, pin 7 reverse signal what ever color you have left over no color specified. This is not carved in stone but it's a pretty common scheme. If your battery is connected touch the gray to the battery + and see if your reverse lights come on if you don't feel real brave put an inline fuse on the gray wire first. Alternatively you can remove the left tail light (junction point) assembly and see if there is a gray wire connected to the reverse light.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #10

SUN #8484
OK, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Pin 1 ground white pin 2 trailer brakes blue, pin 3 tail light brown, pin 4 12 volt battery charge red, pin 5 right turn and stop lights yellow, pin 6 right turn and stop green, pin 7 reverse signal what ever color you have left over no color specified. This is not carved in stone but it's a pretty common scheme. If your battery is connected touch the gray to the battery + and see if your reverse lights come on if you don't feel real brave put an inline fuse on the gray wire first. Alternatively you can remove the left tail light (junction point) assembly and see if there is a gray wire connected to the reverse light.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #11

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
From looking at your plug and counting the wires you have 7 wires coming out of the plug. To me that would eliminate the gray wire as having anything to do with lights etc.
I would trace it back and see where it goes in the trailer.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #12

SUN #8484
Looks like it goes up thru the floor under the furnace/refrigerator area. Haven't found the other end yet.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #13

SUN #2097
Dumb me I never looked at your picture I don't think it has any thing to do with your 7 pin it's to long and it looks like it should join to some thing further up the split loom. yank the wires out of the split loom they go back in easy and see what's in there.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

SUN #264
Quote:
Dumb me I never looked at your picture I don't think it has any thing to do with your 7 pin it's to long and it looks like it should join to some thing further up the split loom. yank the wires out of the split loom they go back in easy and see what's in there.
He said he already traced it back under the trailer where it goes up into the area below the furnace/fridge.

I am wondering if it might be the 12vdc charge line between the fused links and the battery. Wouldn't be the first time that something important like that got disconnected and forgotten.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #15

SUN #2097
Should be a #8 wire looks too small and would probably be black. There is a black wire in the 7 pin all ready.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #16

SUN #264
Quote:
Should be a #8 wire looks too small and would probably be black. There is a black wire in the 7 pin all ready.
The charge line from the fused links to the battery in my '99 was red as was the line from the fused links to the convertor. No telling what factory original was that far back.

The pigtail has obviously been modified or rebuilt over the years. It's loose wires in plastic loom which was definitely not factory original. Original pigtail wire would have been what it still is today; 7 wires in a black molded plastic cable all the way to the 7 pin. Given that much work has been done to the pigtail and surrounds, I am not placing much stock in the color of the wire being indicative of anything specific.

I am betting that the fused links, fuse panel and/or convertor are directly above where that gray wire goes up into the trailer below the fridge/furnace.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #17

SUN #2097
I believe it's original. My 1990 has the same colors It too is in split loom with no splices except for the black #8 that changes to red #8 after the fuse and the brake wiring to the brake away switch. Lighting on one side and power and grounds on the other both going thru the frame all in split loom. Tomorrow I'll pull the 7 pin connector apart and see where they all go I'm thinking the small red wire is backup lights because the other colors are all standard trailer colors. So the mystery still remains what is the gray loose wire?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #18

SUN #264
Quote:
So the mystery still remains what is the gray loose wire?
I think in this case, the only way to be sure is for Dave to trace it all the way to where ever it goes.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #19

SUN #2097
Or just ignore it if every thing works fold it over tape it and leave it in the loom. I looked at mine where the wires come up through the floor by the furnace all lighting and one power feed no gray wire. Here is what I got. Red left signal, Brown right signal. Green parking lights, Yellow reverse lights, Blue brakes, Black + 12 volts, White ground. The only other thing I can think of is an electric tong jack if it's a #8 or #10.

Tags
1985 t1950, wiring diagram