Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #1

SUN #2264
blackflamevt is an unknown quantity at this point
When to replace brakes?

What are the indicators that i should replace my brake assembly? trailer is a 1550
Thanks
Steve in Ct

Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve,

Do not know if yours are Dexter or Alko,

See here for the Dexter's brake manual, look on page 16

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...rakes_6-11.pdf

Alko's see here page 15
For Alko see here page 15
http://al-kousa.com/pdf/ALKO_2kto7k_OM.pdf

Dexter and Alko both state when the lining reaches 1/16" thick to replace. And that hair line heat cracks in the lining are acceptable. And they do have them.

If you are use to automotive drum brake linings for thickness, trailer brakes are in a totally different league. Even new a trailer brake lining is not very thick. However TT's do not get the same high mileage as auto's do and they are out to save a $ every chance they can in the trailer industry.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I pack my wheel bearings yearly that's a good time to have a look check the magnets too. As JohnB said they are not very thick to begin with about 1/2 the thickness as regular lining. Shop around you can buy them for about half the price Dexter wants for them but they are still around $30 a wheel.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
Steve, if you do need new brakes, you should compare the cost of the shoes alone to buying the whole assembly complete with backing plate. For what you get, the assembly is a very good deal. See etrailer.com.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Steve,

Do not know if yours are Dexter or Alko,

See here for the Dexter's brake manual, look on page 16

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...rakes_6-11.pdf

Alko's see here page 15
For Alko see here page 15
http://al-kousa.com/pdf/ALKO_2kto7k_OM.pdf

Dexter and Alko both state when the lining reaches 1/16" thick to replace. And that hair line heat cracks in the lining are acceptable. And they do have them.

If you are use to automotive drum brake linings for thickness, trailer brakes are in a totally different league. Even new a trailer brake lining is not very thick. However TT's do not get the same high mileage as auto's do and they are out to save a $ every chance they can in the trailer industry.

Hope this helps

John
John, being an '88, I think he may have Hayes brakes instead of Dexter. Certainly not Alko unless it was done aftermarket recently. The axles were probably Dexter though.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj View Post
Steve, if you do need new brakes, you should compare the cost of the shoes alone to buying the whole assembly complete with backing plate. For what you get, the assembly is a very good deal. See etrailer.com.

Henry
I second this. Getting the entire backing plate kit has new magnets, shoes, the lever arm bushing and all.

I use these guys and have always had good service. Keep watching for the sale prices. They even beat out Etrailer sometimes
Electric Trailer Brake Assemblies at Trailer Parts Superstore

And they are genuine Dexter in Dexter boxes even sealed and the parts inside are stamped Dexter's trade mark. The mark up on these things is unbelievable. I really have no idea how Eastern Marine can sell a complete 10 x 2 1/4 brake plate for $22.49.....

See here, the raw shoes 10 x 2 1/4 by themselves sell for $27.50....
Electric Trailer Brake Parts & Accessories at Trailer Parts Superstore

It must be that total brake plates as an assembly are more mass produced.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
John, being an '88, I think he may have Hayes brakes instead of Dexter. Certainly not Alko unless it was done aftermarket recently. The axles were probably Dexter though.
Thanks Jon, you come through again....

Steve, for the future if you go into your user CP (control panel) upper left of the screen, you can create a signature file and put the model and year of your camper in there. Then it will come through on every post without you having to tell us. We can then all see what you have and the answers may fit better.

In this case I did not realize what your camper year was and how old it is and I forgot myself to ask..... What I posted on brake parts may not even be an option for you if yours is the older Hayes setup.

Our SunlineFan here I swear has just about everyone's camper year and model memorized.... He is truly our SunlineFan! When he rattled off my frame number to me from memory a while ago I knew I was never going to reach his pinnacle of Sunline memorized stuff....

The rest of use need help in what year/model you have

Good luck with your brakes.

John

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thanks Jon, you come through again....

Our SunlineFan here I swear has just about everyone's camper year and model memorized.... He is truly our SunlineFan! When he rattled off my frame number to me from memory a while ago I knew I was never going to reach his pinnacle of Sunline memorized stuff....

The rest of use need help in what year/model you have
I didn't quite have his memorized, but I did think it was a pre-white one. I just looked up his other posts and went down a ways to see he had an '88...

I was doing good with your 2499, but I'm still a little rusty with your 310...
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #9

SUN #2264
blackflamevt is an unknown quantity at this point
Well i don't know how old they are? but when i did my bearings i thought they looked alittle rough. If i do buy new it will be the whole ass. I also did not realize that they are so thin. The reason i'm asking is i have to set my controler to pretty high number.
Steve in Ct
Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #10

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I second this. Getting the entire backing plate kit has new magnets, shoes, the lever arm bushing and all.

I use these guys and have always had good service. Keep watching for the sale prices. They even beat out Etrailer sometimes
Electric Trailer Brake Assemblies at Trailer Parts Superstore

And they are genuine Dexter in Dexter boxes even sealed and the parts inside are stamped Dexter's trade mark. The mark up on these things is unbelievable. I really have no idea how Eastern Marine can sell a complete 10 x 2 1/4 brake plate for $22.49.....

See here, the raw shoes 10 x 2 1/4 by themselves sell for $27.50....
Electric Trailer Brake Parts & Accessories at Trailer Parts Superstore

It must be that total brake plates as an assembly are more mass produced.
Great plan except--- they don't make 10X1 1/2 dang. The only way around it for me would be change the axles and go to a 10X2 the bearings for the 10X2 drums are different then the 10X1 1/2 so they won't fit the spindles. Well I can still buy the linings and any other part if needed.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #11

SUN #1502
JimL3222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah, the joys of dishonest service station repairs. I have a 2670 travel trailer. Prior to the price of gas going through the roof several years ago I used to tow it all over the place, utilizing it for RV camping events, as a hunting base, and as a portable Red Roof Inn. When the gas became really expensive I decided to limit the cost of use by storing it near some land I own up north. A motel cost less than the price of gas at 11 MPG. I found a RV storage lot a few miles from my land, and typically towed it for hunting or short term stays while up north. When I towed it a lot I used to have the brakes inspected every couple years. It was not unusual to have the brakes adjusted, a magnet replaced, a set of new pads, whatever.

I’ll admit that I have not done brake inspections since putting it in storage several years ago, and only towing it 50 – 100 miles in a year.

Just prior limiting my towing I had a complete brake job on it. All new pads, magnets, springs, etc.along with repacking the wheel bearings. That cost a few hundred dollars. The place that did the brakes was a privately owned gas and service station. This was the first service I had done by them, after my prior service station that I had used for years was converted from doing repair service into a gas station & store.

Last fall, towing the trailer to my land for hunting, the brakes seemed pretty light. I planned to have service done this year. I did not have a chance to use the trailer until a week ago. I realized that I was braking with my truck, not the electric brakes of the trailer. (You can imagine that gave my neck and arms a good work-out, with the veins extended from my neck while standing on the brake pedal.) I figured a rodent must have chewed through a wire or there was some electric corrosion. I tried my best to troubleshoot it, but finally took it in to a RV shop for brake service.

They just called me after the inspection, asking if I ever had the brakes serviced, and I relayed my story. They told me that the brakes were “basically hanging there, rusted through” in three of the wheels. They appeared to very rusted, almost older than the trailer itself. One of those three sets fell to pieces onto the shop floor as the drum was removed. The fourth wheel drum had no brake parts in it at all; no springs, magnets, or pads. The prior service station apparently removed everything, then put the drum back on without any parts in it at all. What puzzled the current RV service guy was that the wheel bearing and grease looked like it had just been done, with very little wear or dirt in the grease, validating the trailer’s use I described.

All they could imagine was that the gas station service place had used some really inferior imported brake parts that they installed in three of the wheels, and ignored the fourth. Those brake parts had completely rusted through in just several years.

The gas station I had the brake work done has changed hands, and no longer does service work. Good thing I guess.

I am having the RV place install new complete backing plate kits with all new magnets, springs, and pads.

“Only thing” my RV service guy added, “nothing is made here anymore. Those brake parts are now all imported.” Nice.