Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #1

SUN #766
phillong
Water dripping out of AC

I noticed a wet spot on the floor this morning, before hitching up to go home, and it was dripping from the AC. It did rain during the night and morning.

I am guessing that the AC is leaking, and was wondering if anybody had run into doing repairs on the AC?

Is the gasket between the AC and the roof, the only place water could leak into the trailer?

Has any one removed their AC for any reason, and is the gasket something fairly easy to do?

Thanks,
Phil

Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Phil

What year camper do you have?

I have had an AC unit totally apart down to the large pan on the roof. If your shroud is intact then rain should not be entering unless you have had a monster rain beating sideways, then there are areas where water can get in pending the year/model. I have pics too but I do not know if they apply to yours, just yet.

EMD_Driver has had one off the roof and knows of the roof gasket system that is on the 2004 vintages.

We need a little help on which AC you have and at least the year of the camper is a start.

As FYI you can create a signature that will attach to every post and you can put in the year and model camper you have, TV and anything else that you want to repeat. This helps us give better info. Go the the "User CP" in the top left of the forum screen and you will find the area on how where to create your sig file.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

SUN #766
phillong
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Phil

What year camper do you have?

I have had an AC unit totally apart down to the large pan on the roof. If your shroud is intact then rain should not be entering unless you have had a monster rain beating sideways, then there are areas where water can get in pending the year/model. I have pics too but I do not know if they apply to yours, just yet.
John
I have a 2001 T-2570 Solaris. The AC is model 57915.

About a month ago, my GPS took me on a detour around some construction, and through a covered bridge. Well the AC did not quite fit. The only thing I noticed, was the shroud got beaten up. I have since replaced that.

I never noticed any water in the camper in the 3 weeks since replacing the shroud, and we did have rain in that time frame. Now this weekend I noticed water.

I would have to believe, that even if rain got in the vent openings in the top shroud, that the water still should not enter the coach. That would not be very efficient planning.

I might order a universal gasket for the 14" opening just so that I have it if I need to replace it.

Am I correct in assuming that the gasket is the main, or only thing, stopping the rain from getting in?

Maybe if I take the shroud off, and pour some water in the pan, it might tell me something. It is hard from the inside to tell where the water is coming in at.

Thanks
Phil
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Phil

See if this helps. I "think" that maybe your unit was bumped and slid a little bit to expose the roof gasket and the opening in the camper.

See these pics. The fan area and coil area are pretty sealed up to the large dish pan of the bottom of the AC unit. So blowing in rain through the shroud should not get into the camper.

However there are only 4, all thread rods holding the entire AC unit to the roof. See in these pics they are in the 4 corners of the square hole thru the roof. These are top shots looking down with a lot of parts no in place. you will get to those 4 all threads from the bottom inside the camper.

Hope this helps and good luck. Let us knw what you find

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #5

SUN #766
phillong
Thanks John, I appreciate the reply, and pictures.

I will be taking the shroud off this weekend, and have a look. First I will try using a hose to place some water around the AC, without getting any in the pan.

Then I will try placing some just in the pan.

Hopefully this will tell me where the problem lies. I am hoping that I do not have a cracked pan.

Thanks again,
Phil