Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

SUN #7027
dranosen21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Water draining issues

I had a new hot water heater installed and hooked up a hose from my house outside faucet to fill the new unit. Later realized that there was not a drain valve. We are going to get some freezing temps for a couple of nights and I want to drain the hot water heater as well as the lines.
I have a panel above the range that has a test button, pump switch and hood light. When I depress the test button, it it indicates I have 1/3 full in holding tanks 1 and 2 and empty on the fresh water tank. If I use turn on the pump switch and open both hot and cold water faucet knobs in the kitchen, will that drain the hot water heater as well as the water in the lines? In order to drain holding tanks 1 and 2, I guess I need to open the valves for gray water and black water (they are marked)??? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
No it will not drain your lines or the tank. Do a search on this site there are many helpful answers about how to drain the water systems. How cold is it going to get and are are the days above freezing?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by darneson12 View Post
.... Later realized that there was not a drain valve. ....
From the outside door, if you look on the left behind the copper gas line where it meets the gas valve you should see a plastic plug that you unscrew to drain the water heater.

Here is an old picture of mine when I added a drain hose with a valve on the end to make it easier to drain. (Got the idea from JohnB when he posted pictures of how he did it. Here is a link to the thread with his pictures at the bottom of the thread http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ion-10105.html )

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #4

SUN #7027
mainah...the temp is going to be 30 on Monday morning with only a high of 35...Gene....thanks for the info. Looks like you used a hose and cutoff valve used for a toilet. Correct?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #5

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
No the hose has to be high pressure reinforced hose...and yes the cutoff valve will work.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

SUN #597
henryj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
From the outside door, if you look on the left behind the copper gas line where it meets the gas valve you should see a plastic plug that you unscrew to drain the water heater.
The water will not drain completely and that is ok as the tank is laying on its side and the small amount of water left will freeze up the side of the cylinder with no damage.

However, to be safe, since it's such a cold unpredictable winter, you should open the low point drains to drain as much water out of the lines as possible. Want vintage is your camper? Look under the camper between the skirting and the frame for two stubby pipes. These are the low point drains and the valve to open them will be inside in a cabinet directly above. Turn each valve as far as you can and check that water is coming out. Leave the valves and all taps open to minimize pressure if there is freezing. I would think in TX this should be good, but you can also blow out the lines with an air compressor.

...and you can always run the furnace or small heater. Open the cabinets with plumbing and you'll need very little heat to prevent freezing in TX.
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #7

SUN #7027
Thanks for the heads up on the hose Poppy and Nana....henryj....my Sunline is a 1994. And thanks for all the tips regarding water drainage. I did unscrew the plug on the water heater and drained the unit. I think I will be ok too...the temperature rarely stays below 32 degrees for a long period, such as days at a time. It's more like hours.