Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

SUN #1005
chanchsirk
water damage around roof vent

I started posting some questions in another thread but figured I would move it here. I had previously asked a question about a roof vent replacement and was directed to a fantastic link on how to do it. However I pulled the screen cover down and the water damage was a bit more than we were expecting! The wood around the vent assembly is completely wet and rotted as well some softness to a little bit of the wood on the ceiling. So my questions are what exactly do I need to do to replace this? Is there any specific wood I need to use for either the vent framing or the interior ceiling?

As I metioned in a previous post we are true noobs to owning a camper and have tons of questions so please be patient with us

1988 Sunray T-220
'04 Ford F150
chanchsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Kris

Sorry about your vent.

The wood, I'm not aware of any special wood like in cedar, pressure treated etc. . Sunline did use a lot of light weight wood but is was more truly for weight. If what ever wood gets wet it is not great. If you have access to a table or radial arm saw or even hand circular saw you can rip and or recreate the shape as needed from pine, Douglas fir etc. A home Depot/Lowes run.

The biggest thing is while you have the wet piece out, look good and long for any other wet anything, like insulation. Once you seal it up good, any wet that is hiding may not be able to get out until it rots out.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #3

SUN #1006
dadof2nc
roof vent

Kris,
sorry about your leak. I just ripped apart the ceiling and 2 walls in the bathroom. There was a leak around the stink pipes. I found that Sunline used pine 1x2's and they were true to size, not the standard we buy at Home depot. Pressure treated is too heavy especially for the ceiling. I used PT for the base of the wall I had to rebuild.
I had alot of wet insulation too... I ran a fan and electric heater for 2 days to dry it all out. I replaced with new insulation. Bathroom is rebuilt and I had to replace Luan and bath board.

will post pics soon.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #4

SUN #1005
chanchsirk
thanks for the info guys! Another question I have is the wooden frame around the vent supposed to be a specific size? Does it attach to anything? It looked like it was just box framed around the vent but it literally crumbled when I pulled down the screen. I would imagine that all those vents seem to be a standard 14x14 size but I couldn't exactly get a measurement with nothing there.
Is there an specific thickness of wood to use to replace the ceiling?

I havent yet cut out the soft spot on the ceiling since I am a bit hesitant to do so without knowing how to properly put it back together but from what you guys have told me it seems pretty straight forward of a repair.

I know I said I had another question but it seems 1 turned into a few - thanks again!

1988 Sunray T-220
'04 Ford F150
chanchsirk is offline   Reply With Quote