Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #1

SUN #733
tervio
wall board

This weekend we went to the north to enjoy our Sunline and noticed something that I want to ask if anyone has seen. On the wallboard on the front wall between the counter and the upper cabinet we noticed as if something was trying to stick nails through the paper. None has come through the paper but they are very pointed. Some are a different diameter than others but quite a few. If I open the cabinet door there are a few on the front wall in the cabinet, and a couple above the cabinet leading to the roof. Any Ideas????

Thanks again for the help
Tervio

Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tervio

What year and model camper do you have? This helps as we do not all remember which you have. You can add it to your signature line. If you need help let us know, glad to point you how to do that.

What you may be seeing is the tips of screws about ready to pop thru. They may not be there for the wall board itself but could be to hold something else on from the other side of the wall or in the wall.

I happen to have some small nail heads sticking up on my roof. ERRRR I can see the fine impression in the rubber. Not good as on the roof that will work on it over time and vibration. Sort of like a tile linoleum floor with a piece of dirt under it. Soon the chunk will break thru.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #3

SUN #733
tervio
Wall Board

Hi John
Thanks for the reply, I'm talking about alot of spots. From the counter to the bottom of the cabinet I can see approximately 20 to 30 spots with no apparent pattern.

Thanks Tervio
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tervio View Post
Hi John
Thanks for the reply, I'm talking about alot of spots. From the counter to the bottom of the cabinet I can see approximately 20 to 30 spots with no apparent pattern.

Thanks Tervio
H'mm and on a 2003 camper? That should be made like mine.

Maybe someone with a air stapler gone wild at the factory??

Good question. Any chance of a pic of the area, showing the bigger area so we can see what is mounted in that section. And maybe what is on the other side of the wall? I know Sunline has gone staple happy before.

Now you have me curious.

John

Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like there may be water behind that wall. I saw some pictures on rv.net where someone had a problem with "dimples" on the wall. The person cut away a square of walpaper and found some mold and evidence of water.

I hope I am wrong in this case.

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #6

SUN #733
tervio
Wallboard

I remember when we first purchased our Sunline, the moulding which runs up the corner from the bottom to the roof was discolored and coming off. We took the unit back to the dealer and that issue was corrected. The corner is the same side that shows the dimples or whatever it is on the inside. I will try to get up on the roof and also get some pictures soon. These dimples have a very sharp point almost like a staple, but with no pattern for their location.

Again Thank You for your help
Tervio
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

SUN #549
frank
I'll second the water possibility.

When we bought ours, I went over it very closely. None of the usual signs of water ingress, but did have a small section of the "points" you are describing.

3 weeks later when tearing out the carpet for replacement I found mildew stains on the floor in the rear, below the "points." 2 days later when I pulled the siding off I found the lowest 6" of the framing just shy of non-existant.

There's plenty of pictures on here if you look at some of my first posts to the board.

- Frank
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #8

SUN #733
tervio
Roof Question

Some questions
#1) I decided to look up on the roof this past weekend and it seems that the roof in the front left seems soft. I did look at the corner area since that is where the dealer installed a new corner molding 1 year after purchase.
Is the roof not supported between rafters? What does the roof construction consist of?

#2) I did pull the center front light fixture down and did find the insulation in that area dry. Can you tell me how the speaker covers come off so I can remove speaker for inspection.

#3) What is our roof made of?? I did see a posting by Kanyonkitty which said not to use any petroleum based products for cleaning. What would be the best cleaning product??
Also the MSDS for Dicor Lap Sealant contains Solvent Naphtha(petroleum) this sounds like it is a conflict with the no petroleum statement.

#4) I use a product for caulking on my house #900 SOLAR SEAL - based on terpolymer technology which offers an alternative to silicone & urethane sealants.
but it also has mineral spirts in it. I find that this product does not seem to crack on my house as much as the dicor sealant does on the trailer, any thoughts?

Thank You for your time, this site has been very helpful
Tervio
I think I made a mistake about the yaer of my trailer I think I bought it in '03 but it is a '04 I will check that out later
Thanks again
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #9

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by tervio
#1) I decided to look up on the roof this past weekend and it seems that the roof in the front left seems soft. I did look at the corner area since that is where the dealer installed a new corner molding 1 year after purchase.
Is the roof not supported between rafters? What does the roof construction consist of?
Roof construction appears to vary depending on year, maybe the model and maybe even the phase of the moon. Some of the more modern units were built with a "walk-on roof" option which means they were decked with OSB. I *think* 1/2" (ok 7/16") was the norm. Others, like mine, were decked with 1/8" luann plywood which was then covered in a material they called bud board. Bud board is a compressed fiberboard product (think posterboard on steroids). Apparently some were decked with nothing but bud board.

Quote:
#2) I did pull the center front light fixture down and did find the insulation in that area dry. Can you tell me how the speaker covers come off so I can remove speaker for inspection.
Not sure what grilles you have there, but generally if you see no fasteners (or removable trim rings hiding fasteners), they "pull" off. The trick is to rotate them slightly and apply downward pressure, then they come off easy.

Quote:
#3) What is our roof made of?? I did see a posting by Kanyonkitty which said not to use any petroleum based products for cleaning. What would be the best cleaning product??
Also the MSDS for Dicor Lap Sealant contains Solvent Naphtha(petroleum) this sounds like it is a conflict with the no petroleum statement.
Most likely EPDM rubber (or aluminum if ordered that way). I do not believe Sunline used TPO, which is another form of rubber roof. Petroleum based products are evil on rubber roofs because they can lead to adhesive failure. Some petroleum products can't be avoided, like cleaning before applying Eternabond tape, and (juding by what you saw on the msds) possibly the sealant. Double check and make sure you have the correct Lap Sealant. I don't think Dicor markets products for anything other than rubber, but I could be wrong. If you do have the right stuff, I wouldn't sweat it.

Cleaning should be done with a mild detergent. Clothes washing detergent such as Tide is often recommended. Common all-purpose cleaners such as 409 are popular as well.

Quote:
#4) I use a product for caulking on my house #900 SOLAR SEAL - based on terpolymer technology which offers an alternative to silicone & urethane sealants.
but it also has mineral spirts in it. I find that this product does not seem to crack on my house as much as the dicor sealant does on the trailer, any thoughts?
My experience says that mineral spirits hangs around a while. As such, I wouldn't go near the roof with that sealant. If you're tired of chasing lap sealant cracks, Eternabond tape may be for you. JohnB just recently did a great post on the stuff.

Hope this helps.

- Frank
Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #10

SUN #733
tervio
More roof questions

I did get to look at the roof this week and it appears I have to replace the roof. The underlayment is soft or nonexistent in the front corner. (Same corner where the dealer put new corner molding on while in warranty) Questions coming to mind, Are the corner, seam moldings still available for our Sunlines? Does anyone know the cost for the EPDM for a 2363? Is there a better material to use now? Can someone recommend a site for a good tutorial for roof replacement?
Thanks for your help
Terry
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #11

SUN #89
Here is a place to start on the roof material install

https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/ro...ubber-roofing/

I have some pics/video links somewhere. I'll dig some more.

The corner molding may not be unique to Sunline. I have seen it for sale at the RV surplus places. They must sell it new as well.

Here is one place, they have it but can look further for less cost.
Insert Moldings - Insert Moldings

The key to searching for this is to know what they call it....

Frank, (screen name Frank) just went through this last year on his brothers camper build.

Hope this helps and good luck

Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #12

SUN #733
tervio
Thanks John,
You have given me a starting point to begin my research. I know my roof was not built to be walked on, I do not believe my roof even has the 1/4 in luann. I guess this will be a new experience in owning a travel trailer.

Tervio
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by tervio View Post
I did get to look at the roof this week and it appears I have to replace the roof. The underlayment is soft or nonexistent in the front corner. (Same corner where the dealer put new corner molding on while in warranty) Questions coming to mind, Are the corner, seam moldings still available for our Sunlines? Does anyone know the cost for the EPDM for a 2363? Is there a better material to use now? Can someone recommend a site for a good tutorial for roof replacement?
Thanks for your help
Terry

If we had a travel trailer, we would not even consider putting another rubber roof on it. I see 30+ year old campers, that still have the original aluminum roof on them. In my opinion, maintaining the roof each year is something we do anyway. Why not put on a roof that won't wear out?

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote