Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
TV Antenna Installation

Consider me a complete greenhorn on this question.

I just bought a Coby 10" under-cabinet HDTV/DVD/AM/FM for our Sunline T-1350. I'd rather not stick rabbit ears out if I can help it.

The ceiling is marked for an antenna. (Is the ceiling/roof reinforced at all at this point?) I'm looking at this one as an option and will accept any and all advice, suggestions, or whatever you can tell me to keep me out of trouble - with any permanent antenna installation. If I don't get the one I linked to, I will want something small, low-maintenance, and unobtrusive yet effective. I haven't bought it yet, or checked to see if it will even fit next to the A/C unit if I put it at the marked location. I know that's the first step.

[Edit: I measured 10 1/2" from the center of the antenna marker to the A/C on the inside of the Sunny. The antenna I linked to is just under 15" diameter, so I have 3" to play with. I'm thinking I should be ok with the size.]

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be a little nervous mounting anything on the roof especially if it's a rubber roof. You might consider having Camping World install it. If you do have a solid place on the roof for the screws, use good caulk and if you can, run the antenna wire horizontally through the wall instead of vertically through the roof unless the wire runs inside the base which is probably the case.

Looks like a pretty good unit and probably includes a power booster.

Good luck.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

SUN #2485
aaron is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced my OEM stereo speakers beside my antenna and can’t remember if it was reinforced or not. There should only be a minimal sized hole in the roof for the cable and another small hole for the antenna crank. The antenna will come with a template pattern. Also if you have a rubber roof, be sure to use something like Dicor lap sealant or something that is compatible with EPDM roof’s.

Aaron
2006 T-2553
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 3.73 6-speed
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not a big fan of omnidirectional antennas. Being nondirectional they tend to pick up poorly in ALL directions and with a built in amplifier they pick up noise in all directions too. They will pick up local stations (10 to 20 miles) fairly well but are far inferior to the crank up Wineguard antennas that came installed on most Sunlines.

If you want really cheap and ugly, I have an antenna on our bedroom tv made out of coathanger wire and a piece of tinfoil that picks up Boston stations 40 mile away from inside the house. That omni would not do as well.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

SUN #4364
Paul,
This particular antenna can have the wire go down through the base or out the side of the base. I'd prefer down through it. Yes, it does come with a 12v signal booster. The local "big boy" RV dealer/service outfit carries various Wineguard antennas and would probably have no problem with installing it for me if necessary. It's also cheaper than Camping World's - and no shipping! I'll have to check with them with this.

Aaron,
Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely try to find out if there is any reinforcement before I do anything. I would think it would make sense if it did - since they marked the spot for the purpose.

Gene,
I understand the limitations of the omnis, but cost and roof space does have a bearing on what can go up there. It's just a little 1350. And, I'd rather not go as cheap and ugly as a wire coat hangar. <G> The one I linked to is a Wineguard, so I'm confident that it is one of the best of its type.

Thanks for all your advice. It's appreciated very much. I'll probably be in the research stage for a period, so feel free to throw more at me as appropriate. In the meantime, I'm going to be trying to find out about the marked/recommended mounting spot.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't know about yours but mine has an external cable TV jack it is a feed through so you would not have to do any cutting or drilling just hook up the cables. New frequency antennas are small and can easily be mounted on an extendable pole just run it up and "digitally" rotate it. An amplified antenna would be a big plus.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

SUN #4364
I don't think mine has any jacks, Tim. I don't recall seeing any before. When I get the tarp off, I'll look at things more closely. The Wineguard RS-3000 I'm considering is amplified. Less than 15" in diameter and about 7 1/2" high and would fit nicely on my small roof.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #8

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah they are for camp grounds that have cable usually in the side some where. The omni directionals work ok I have seen them on houses but if you are on the fringe a beam does work a lot better.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #9

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Don't know about yours but mine has an external cable TV jack it is a feed through so you would not have to do any cutting or drilling just hook up the cables. New frequency antennas are small and can easily be mounted on an extendable pole just run it up and "digitally" rotate it. An amplified antenna would be a big plus.
In the past.....I have a pole mounted omni directional tv antenna on a 3' section of antenna mast. On top I mounted a very directional satellite radio antenna. In bad reception areas, I would set this section on 3, 5' mast sections and push that thing up in the air. Then I'd digitally rotate for best satellite radio reception and anchor with several ropes. This added another 45 minutes to set up time.

Solution: in bad tv reception areas (which is mostly where we camp) we turn to my collection of $1 DVD's from dollar stores and Wally World and watch old movies, 50's westerns and 50's sci fi's at night when not sitting in front of the campfire. or........with my now roof mounted satellite radio antenna we listen to classic radio shows, Prairie Home Companion, Car Talk or many comedy, music and news channels anywhere.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote