Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
*Time sensitive* Water inlet glue removal

I am replacing the water inlet valve (already planned and then it actually exploded last week) and there is a glossy black glue substance on the interior. It is at the connection spot where the inlet fitting screws into the T fitting that branches out to rest of plumbing pipes.

Instead of tape or pipe dope there is the glossy black hard glue or some type of plumbers putty that does not seem removable or have any give.

Does anyone know what this is and/or how I can unscrew these fittings? Workaround?

Old 01-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Noralee,

I went through the pics of your other post and found this pic of the Tee with what looks like black stuff at the brass inlet fitting end.

I'm assuming this is the area you are referring to?

Assuming yes, by your description of the glossy black hard stuff at the fitting, the prior owner used a totally different thread sealant then they should have. They may have had a leaking issue and went with a heavy permanent sealant to stop a leak. They make sealants like that, mainly used in automotive/industrial use on steel fittings and not on home water plumbing. I'm not totally sure from here this is what you have, but by the pic and and your description, it is that type of sealant.

Assuming that is the case, odds are favorable you will break the plastic fitting trying to get it apart. And if you did manage to get it off without breaking the tee, there most likely will still be hard chips stuck inside the threads making it hard to seal up when you put the new inlet valve in.

If I was in that situation, I would give up trying to take the old tee off, or break it off if necessary to get it out of the hole in the camper. Buy a new tee and start over doing it right from the get go. The other gray pex fittings look like they used teflon tape on them, and they may come out and be reusable. But try to get them out without damage before heading to the store, as you might need some new parts to connect them back up if they are damaged in removing them.

Hope this helps,

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #3

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
You are so wonderful to dig up that pic. I took ur advice and replaced it the next T fitting.