Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-02-2019, 05:59 AM   #1

SUN #9763
Digmenow is an unknown quantity at this point
Throwin' shade at the canopy pull strap.

The rubber circle at the end of the awning strap that you hook the awning pole into snapped during our last outing as I was rolling it up. The awning took off like a shot and smacked hard against the camper before I could catch it. The fabric loop at the end of the strap is still there but trying to thread the pull rod through it is like trying to thread a needle from 5 feet away as it is just out of my reach without a stepstool.

An $11 replacement strap is available from Amazon.

I'll probably end up buying the replacement but the tinker in me says that I can MacGyver up something better that won't break again at an inopportune moment. I'd like a metal loop that won't break, is easy to attach and leave on the strap that won't beat the snot out of the siding as I go down the road.

Three ideas so far.

1. Douse a metal split ring, since there are plenty lying around the house, with multiple coats of Plasti Dip (AFTER slipping it into the nylon loop) which seems to be kind of messy.

2. These ridiculously expensive Hook It Clips - Rubber Coated Stainless Steel Caribiner - Certified 2:1 650 Lb Work Load - Color Coded - 2 Pack $24.99

3. Combine the two above ideas and Plasti Dip a heavy duty stainless carabiner.

What would YOU do? There are no wrong answers here.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Previously: 2003 Solaris Lite T-1950
"The Land of Pleasant Living!"
Digmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
99 cents at HD they are aluminum I use them on a snowmobile trail groomer as a safety link at the sled they probably are good to 100#

Old 11-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #3

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
When mine broke it wasn't the loop on the end the strap actually broke right before the loop, probably where it loop was stitched over.

I would be worried about anything that was heavy and metal like one of the carabiners not so much about scratches as it seems you plan to coat it but the weight would dent the camper siding. My old strap rubber loop left black marks on the siding where it got whipped around in the wind when towing, I thing a carabiner beating around on the siding could be an issue depending how much of a "tail" you have hanging out.

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Adjust the windup spring tension so that it barely pulls the roller tight to the camper, or even stops a foot away. There should be enough tension left to roll it the rest of the way if you help it.

Then you can extend the awning enough to reach the strap simply by pulling on a side arm, no pole needed. Works for me--though I'm 6' tall with long arms. Oh, I'll add that I've done the axle flip, so my 1950 actually sits higher than stock.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:49 AM   #5

SUN #9763
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
99 cents at HD they are aluminum I use them on a snowmobile trail groomer as a safety link at the sled they probably are good to 100#
I'll need just a bit more information. What aluminum item does Home Depot sell for 99¢?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
When mine broke it wasn't the loop on the end the strap actually broke right before the loop, probably where it loop was stitched over.

I would be worried about anything that was heavy and metal like one of the carabiners not so much about scratches as it seems you plan to coat it but the weight would dent the camper siding. My old strap rubber loop left black marks on the siding where it got whipped around in the wind when towing, I thing a carabiner beating around on the siding could be an issue depending how much of a "tail" you have hanging out.
Good point. Hadn't considered weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Adjust the windup spring tension so that it barely pulls the roller tight to the camper, or even stops a foot away. There should be enough tension left to roll it the rest of the way if you help it.

Then you can extend the awning enough to reach the strap simply by pulling on a side arm, no pole needed. Works for me--though I'm 6' tall with long arms. Oh, I'll add that I've done the axle flip, so my 1950 actually sits higher than stock.
I'm a few inches shy of 6' but this is for the 280SR which is even taller than my flipped 1950. I am intrigued, though and will pursue this further.

Thanks, all!

2004 Solaris 280SR
Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
It is a novelty carabiner ment for keys etc about inch and a half long. They will stand some thing around a hundred pounds. I use them between my snowmobile and a small drag I use for cross country skiing trails if the drag fetched up it will break the carabiner not the sled. I go through about 4 a year. If you have a HD they will be with the rest of that kind of stuff in a plastic jug they weight about an ounce.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Dig,

I'll throw out a fix that may fit your household equipment and budget of almost nothing. If you have any 1" wide ratchet tie down straps, cut off a short piece off one end of it. Then sew on a new loop from the ratchet strap material to the old awning strap. If you or your wife has a sewing machine old enough, it should be able to handle the strap material. Try to use heavy thread if you have some. Like sail boats etc. so the water and sun does not break it down so fast.

Heads up to not make the new add on loop too long. The strap loop from Dometic only hangs out about 3 maybe 4 " when the awning is rolled up. Enough to get the hook on and start pulling. If you make the new add on piece hanging out 6 to 8 inches, that loop is flopping pretty hard in the breeze going down the road. My neighbor bought a Camco replacement strap for his when his Dometic loop broke off. That strap was about 8" longer and the loop was flopping all over.

This weekend BenB and I took apart one of my latest project campers. The owner had a little rope tied onto the pull strap. It must of been his second or third attempt at fixing his strap. We found beat up marks in the white and gold top siding from a prior fix. I would not recommend any metal anything added on the strap. Towing at 60 mph down the road that strap whips pretty good and the constant beating against the siding with something metal will over time leave permanent tracks.

Think through the awning tube spring tension adjustment as a strap fix. It most likely not work out in your case. Your T280SR has a 21 foot awning and is about 9 1/2 ft off the ground at the roller. Your old T1950 had a 14 foot awning and the camper is lower. The longer the awning, the more you need good tension to roll it up correctly and even on both ends. My T317SR project camper has a 21 ft awning on it. Who ever changed his awning did not put enough tension in the springs to roll it up right. It stops about a one to two feet short, and your trying to push it closed with it being up so high. It creates issues. That and the fact you have to take both ends cap loose on the roller tube to back off the spring on both ends, you would of wished you spent the $12 bucks on a new strap.

If you do the sew on loop, let us know how it comes out.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #8

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
I snapped a pic of the damage on the project camper, it may be hard to see in the pic but its lots of little tiny indentations.20191103_121247.jpg

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:00 AM   #9

SUN #9763
All things considered, I think I'd better give the Dometic strap another go and keep my eye out for an item that will replace the rubber ring if/when it snaps again.

Thanks all for the thoughtful suggestions and advice.

2004 Solaris 280SR