Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #1

SUN #880
ronnyr
thinking of buying 1999 t2353 - help?

I have always wanted a sunline and recently came across one I can afford. After some inspection, I have found a soft spot in the bathroom in front of the toilet. Should I be concerned? Is it fixable adn what kindof project is it? Also, the trailer has a black membrane underneath. Is it supposed to be black? It has come loose from the sides in some places and is droopy in others/ Should I be concerned? The man who is selling it me said everything works, but he has been running the water from the water tank, not the city hook up. He is asking $4,999 for the unit. I love the layout and the amount of storage it has. Please help! I am supposed to pick it up Friday and I am planning a round trip through Colorado and the Midwest this summer.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #2

SUN #880
ronnyr
I am not looking for someone to tell whether to buy it or not. I just would like some input as to the work involved in fixing the problems and if they are fixable. If they are not fixable, that might impact my decision to buy since I have not picked it up yet and still have time to back out. But I have an 18 foot trailer we took apart and rebuilt the back end in our backyard. The floor near the door was soft too and we reinforced. I am looking for some kind of idea as to where there might be a leak, so I can fix it and make the necessary repairs. I have about a month before I am leaving. If someone thinks buying this would be a horrible idea because the damage is too severe, please say so. I am hoping to get some good feedback through the members at this site. I have read through many of the posts and have already found lots of valuable information.
I noticed someone bought the Sunline Advancer I was looking at also! Darn that was one I didn't get to in time. I know of four others for sale here in Florida ranging in price from $5000 to $10,000. One I looked at has a leak in the roof evidenced by the interior and the front of the trailer. It also has half of the dinette missing, ripples in the roof, and the owner hit a pole, taking off the stairs and damaging the trim around one of the wheels. Plus it needs new tires. Would this one be less work than the one I am planning on buying? Any input would be extremely helpful. I really like Sunlines and have been contemplating buying one for years if one ever came within what I could afford. I really like vintage stuff, but they are also so much work and I am not as physically able as I used to be.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi!

This is only a womens train of though! You have mentioned that your rebuilt a TT in your yard and you also mention that you are not as physically able as you used to be.....how long did it take you and howmuch younger, or physically able where you? Have you factored these matters into your equation? If it took you more than one month (the time you plan on leaving) and you where 10 - 15 years younger and much more physically able....that may be your answer.

A soft spot in the bathroom might be a leaking toilet, tub or sink - not to mention roof, there usually is a vent in the bathroom that may be leaking! How much work was it in the past for you to tear out the bathroom in your previous rebuild?

Now as far as the black membrane under the TT - that is there to help protect the undrcarriage etc....from what I hve read - you can purchase this mmbrane and replace it , or just use appropriate tape to repair it.

Good luck in your search and your decision in purchasing this TT!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #4

SUN #880
ronnyr
Thanks for replying! I am such a nervous nelly about everything. My 18 foot trailer, a 1978 Aristocrat, I bought without a clue to anything about trailers! We needed something for our dog so we could go to a class reunion. I won't board him since he has health and social issues, and wanted to take him along. the trailer has a aluminum roof and had damage to the rear from a blowout. It had lots of soft areas in the bathroom and around the door, which we repaired in the rain, in the backyard in the middle of summer in Florida. I made a tent out of tarps to keep it dry while we worked on it. Took about a month to repair. Since we've had it we have replaced the water heater and fixed various plumbing leaks. Now the bathtub has given out and I fear the frame has rotted to the point of being ready to give way. teh roof never was in good shape and I am sure it leaked somewhere judging by the ripples on the interior ceiling. I patched and patched the roof with the recommended sealer, but it never seemed to help. i caulked and sealed eveything i could find and it still leaked.
I have been looking at Sunlines for a number of years, but never found one I could afford until now. This one I am supposed to pick up has its issues too, but I am hoping with a little help we can get through them as well. With my 18 foot, I replaced the entire underside with thin sheet metal because the underbelly had deteriorated completely. I often wonder what we were thinking when we bought it!
According to the owner, who is the second, this sunline has not a lot of problems. But then i always wonder if they say that just to selll it. We looked at one a couple of months ago that had the entire back end redone and the owner claimed it wasn't. I could tell by the welded bumper and the different wall paper and how it was seamed. Then he didn't even know the trailer had a bullet hole on the outside. He claimed he had been camping in it for years, but I would think you would notice a hole if it had been your camper.
Anyway, i am so afraid of losing a few thousand dollars that I have been thinking of backing out of the deal. The owner swears everything works good and has been very nice about explaining everything to us. I am glad to hear about the underbelly part because I know we could fix a toilet leak or other leak. We've done it before. We were in the hills of Tennessee about an hour away from any kind of parts place when our sewer decided to leak and a plumbing line from shower gave out. We managed to get it fixed and enjoy the rest of our trip. Thank you so much for you input. It is invaluable to me!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #5

SUN #880
ronnyr
I am really bad with numbers and things, and I thought the one I am planning on buying was a 2353. Not so. Sorry about that. I have looked at so many in the past year . . .
I also looked at a couple of Coachmen's. A dealer near me has a 27-foot Sunline and a Coachmen. He wanted $5880 for the Coachmen and it had some serious damage on the front top! The 27-foot is bigger than I wanted.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #6

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
What model is it?
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #7

SUN #880
ronnyr
I believe it is a 2453 . . . I had to go back to the brochure on here to make sure, since it is not here yet. I will be the third owner. It is in the process of getting cleaned up. Thanks for asking. Any places on here that would be of interest to a new owner?