Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

SUN #637
thesteigers
Suspension Squeak and maintenance...

I have been noticing a squeak in the suspension of the Sunline when we go over bumps and in and out of parking lots. I generally subscribe to the theory that noise is the dissipation of energy and that if you can get rid of a squeak like that you should.

I've been under the TT a lot the last couple of days sanding and painting the frame, fixing a leak in the fresh water fill hose...etc and haven't seen anything that looks out of the ordinary. My thinking is that this is probably just something that needs some lubricating.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on what if any parts of the running gear should be lubricated periodically?

Just to put everyone's minds at ease. The noise is not coming from the wheels, drums, breaks or axles. I check all of that obsessively. Its something in the frame/suspension that squeaks when the trailer shifts up and down. I can kind of reproduce it every now and then by bouncing up and down in the galley without the stab jacks down.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Steigers (www.wearezinks.com)
TV - 2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
TT - 2004 Solaris T-2199

TV - 2005 Toyota Tundra
https://www.wearezinks.com
thesteigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Tom,

The squeak you hear is common. What has happened is the plastic bushings in your spring bolts have worn out.

To replace these, you will need to get the trailer jacked up and the axles supported to pull the spring bolts. Pull them one at a time, drop the spring, and then slide the old bushing out. I'd personally recommend greasing the new bushing on the inside and then slide it right into the spring. Slide it back up there and put the bolt back in. Make sure you seat the perforations on just below the bolt head.

This really is a pretty easy job to do yourself, but I know you have limited supplies and this does require a jack or two and a set of four jack stands.

You do have a couple options for doing this job. The new plastic bushings shouldn't cost you much more than $5 if that, but they will wear out in a couple years or a few thousand miles.

Dexter Axle offers a wet bolt upgrade which a few of us have done. I believe JohnB did a tutorial on how to do it. Basically the kit give you new bolts, nuts, and new bronze bushings instead of the plastic ones. The bolts are special in that they have a grease fitting on the head and holes on the bolt shaft to keep the bushing greased without having to pull it apart. That will cost you about $130:
http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1047

However, Dexter still has a unique deal going on for a further upgrade. I did this to mine because I saw the sale and it really did make sense. I called Dexter to order it and the guy told me they made up too many of these kits and they just want to reduce their inventory now, so they dropped the price a lot. So for about $20 more you can get the Ez-Flex kit, which includes the complete wet bolt kit.

The Ez-Flex kit includes a unique replacement equalizer that contains a rubber thing and compresses when you go over bumps. I was surprised when I installed it because it really goes over a bumpy road much smoother now. It almost makes the axles independent of each other and they share the rubber thing to cushion the bump.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/28009

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Tom

Jon did a good job of describing what happens to the standard nylon spring bushing. Since you can jump up and down in the TT with no stabilizers down and recreate the squeak, odds are your bushings are shot and what you hear is steel on steel.

Here is a pic-to-gram of the Ez flex wet bolt upgrade

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=2696

If you go the wet bolt upgrade route, do keep them well greased. 2 to 3 times a year is not that much. The bronze can shatter and destroy itself too is left ungreased too long. Had another person tell me that and Dexter engineering too. Dexter said, if you keep them greased well, they last a real long long time.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote