Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #1

SUN #1953
frank_a is an unknown quantity at this point
Sunspot spring placement & brake ?s

I picked up our "new" Sunspot today, and have a few questions. It seems like it's way high. Has the spring been flipped or moved, or does anyone have a decent pic of a stock spring set-up? Something is weird here!

Looks like no brake stuff, but a bracket to bolt a shoe assembly to. Doesn't appear to be drum hubs, look just like normal small trailer axle hubs. I can get 7" shoe assemblies from NAPA (which is what I believe came on this originally), but where do I get drum hubs?

Strange coupler on the front of the trailer. How does it lock, or is there someway of locking it? I traveled a distance today continually worrying it was going to just come loose!

Thanks for any help folks. ther will be more questions later. Long darn day!

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (49.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tire.jpg (48.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (49.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg coupler.jpg (47.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hi Frank...

Congrats on the new addition to your family! As far as I know, single axle trailers are not required to have brakes. Also, I had an old Prowler with that same type of coupler on it. I couldn't figure it out either, but it never came un-coupled!

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #3

SUN #1953
Thanks Gary! Gail and I have been tent campers going on 40 years now, so this is a big step up. It originally came with brakes. They've been removed and I think the drum hub just replaced with a regular hub. If I get a chance tomorrow I'm going to remove one or both hubs and if they're 1" axles (which I think they might be) I have kits in my shop to rebuild them. I think I'd rather find brake drums/hubs if I could. Seems to me they must be somewhat standard, but I know very little about electric brakes.

This trailer only weighs 600#s and is easy to tow. I towed it 3 hours today, and it is nicely balanced, really a nice towing little trailer at all speeds. I want to restore the brakes just for safety sake.

Thanks for the tip on the coupler. That stupid thing is gonna have me wondering every time we head out!

Frank
Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Thanks for the tip on the coupler. That stupid thing is gonna have me wondering every time we head out!

Frank
As long as the strap part goes down around the coupler, theoretically, it should never come un-coupled.

I had no idea they originally came with brakes. We have a trailer sales/repair place nearby, that sells new components for brakes and complete hub/drum/brake assemblies. I wonder if you could find something close?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

SUN #1953
I used to work for NAPA, so I have a good source for parts at a real good price. NAPA had the 7" shoe assemblies, I just wonder if there aren't generic drum hubs that were used on lots of stuff with 1" axles (if that's what it is) that would be 4 bolt and hold a 13" wheel. I'll figure it out, just hoping maybe someone knew a part # or OEM application I could work with. Thanks!

Frank

P.S. Like these! http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...c=0007&eq=&Tp=
Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
If you need me to check with my guy, let me know. If you give me measurements, we may be able to match something up.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #7

SUN #1953
I'll do that Gary, thanks! I need to pull a hub and see if it's what I think it is. I'll keep ya posted.

Frank
Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #8

SUN #1953
Pulled a hub

Hubs are just normal 5 lug trailer hubs, not brake drum hubs. I thought the spec on this trailer were that it came with electric brakes and 110V. Apparently neither on this trailer, though the axle has the necessary brackets for brakes.

I still think the body of the trailer rides too high, but can't figure out how that would have happened with this axle unless the OEM one was removed and replaced by this one with the spring on top. I sure do wish another Sunspot owner would pipe in here!

Anyways, here's some pics of the axle set up and one of the hubs. All the cups and cones look fine, fairly new, so all I need now is to clean things up a bit, grease the cones, and get new seals. Axle stubs look good where the cones ride, so maybe it just needed new grease. Seals were leaking too, so there was quite a bit of build-up on the rear of the hubs.

By the way, this is a 1 1/16 axle, NOT a 1" (which I thought it was). If it was 1", I have kits here to rebuild it. Seeing I don't need to rebuild the hubs, all I'll get is the seals.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cup.jpg (45.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (47.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg under.jpg (46.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a link to a post that has several pics of Sunspots, and they appear to have the high ground clearance as your Sunspot. I am thinking it might just be the normal ride height.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...pen-10316.html
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #10

SUN #1953
Hmmmm, maybe, but if you look at the 2nd pic in the 1st post I made here, I seem to have a lot more clearance above the top of my tire to the fender. Those other Sunspots do look like they ride lower than mine, but maybe not.

Thanks for the link, it is much appreciated. Now if I could find a pic of another Sunspot axle/spring placement...

Frank
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Frank

I think someone did and over under conversion.

See this post of Dot the Spot's Sunspot.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f9...t-11615-2.html

I know we had and axle and spring pic here on one of these, I just can't find it right now. I'll keep digging

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #12

SUN #89
Here we go. Dot had them. Your axle use to be on top of the spring

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/me...-albums56.html

And it had brakes. See the brake plates too.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #13

SUN #1953
Aha! Just as I thought. Now my problem is removing the axle, carefully cutting/grinding off the spring seats on top, getting new spring seats, and carefully welding them back on. Sheeeeesh! That might not happen right away. In fact, as a hobbyist welder, that is something I may take into a pro to have done.

Thanks for finding that John. That was my mission today. I'm too busy on the weekends to spend much time online, but I can really make good use of my lunch hour at work researching stuff like this.

Yes, I'm sure Spot had brakes. I can get a pair of 7" shoe assemblies at NAPA (I'm retired from NAPA and get incredible deals), but they don't list drums. Seems to me 7" 5 lug drum/hubs that fit a 1 1/16" axle should be fairly common. I'm going to bug, er, ask my buddies at NAPA about that today.

Rain moved in here Friday, and it looks to be wet for a while, so Spot will stay in my cramped little pole barn. I have enough room to get the wheels and hubs off, but that's about it. I think with some reorganization I'll gain more space for Spot.

What's the best way to get jack stands under one of these trailers? The axle is too low, so I left my jack under it last night. Probably under the perimeter frame? I might as well try to get this axle out and just get those seats swapped I guess.

Thanks again. Enjoy your day!

Frank
Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #14

SUN #89
Frank

Here is a quick note.

Do not jack the camper by the spring or axle tube. These axles are so thin they can bend. They are only intended to take the weight at the axle seat as the camber is actually bent into the axle in the center.

To support the camper, jack right behind the rear spring hanger and then support the camper on stable jack stands on solid ground at the front and rear spring hanger. Like this. NOTE: the bottle jacks under the springs are only to prevent schakle flop, not for lifting. The jack stands are taking the load.

See this forum: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f111/sunline-articles-how-to-and-diy-do-it-yourself-links-11910.html

Note areas:

3. Trailer axle alignment.

5. Repairing brakes and wheel bearings on your Sunline
These are posts by members working on their Sunlines and we created many of them into a "How To" post grouped up in the FAQ and Articles forum.

Good luck.

PS If you actually come across a brake plate conversion that works, please posts some pics and how to. This has come up before on the older units on how to convert to something we can get parts for. We will add your work to the How To list. Converting old brakes to something new one can get parts for is a FAQ.

John

Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #15

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Aha! Just as I thought. Now my problem is removing the axle, carefully cutting/grinding off the spring seats on top, getting new spring seats, and carefully welding them back on. Sheeeeesh! That might not happen right away. In fact, as a hobbyist welder, that is something I may take into a pro to have done.
Frank,

The only welding that should have been done is tack welds where the seat touches the axle tube. It was not supposed to be a complete weld across the entire arc of the seat. And there is not supposed to be any additional welding elsewhere in the conversion.

There should be a ton of info for you in the Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - Sunline Axles and Running Gear section of our Files area including the instruction sheet on the Over/Under Conversion.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #16

SUN #1953
Gee!

First off John, I don't know if I have a floor jack that will get that high. Hmmmm. Nextly, I was gonna ask about how you put this little beast on jack stands, and look, you were reading my mind! It's supported up front by the trailer jack, so I was looking at just jack stands on the trailer frame behind the spring hanger.

This axle would bend?!? Whew! It's rated for 2000 #s, and the trailer weighs less than 600#s. Still a problem ya figure?

I don't think axle alignment is gonna be a problem. When I remove it and do the 180 degree spring seat thingie, I'll put it back in the way it came out, just with the springs where they should be.

Repairing old trailer hubs is something I have a great deal of experience doing and have all the right tools to do it. Well, I really should get a seal remover, but one of my screwdrivers does the trick just fine. Brakes is a different story, NO experience with electric brakes. On the other hand, I've done lots of brake jobs over the decades, drums years ago and disc more recently. So mechanically, and even electrically I don't think I'll have a problem. My basic problem is that it came with nothing, so it becomes pricey. I do expect to get this done, but it needs to get on a long list of other priorities right now. We're not cash rich, unfortunately, and the trailer is legal in NYS as is.

Speaking of legal, Spot has standard stop/turn/tail lights (like you buy at NAPA for you utility trailer) on the back, and it's obvious something larger (and rectangular) was there before. Is that a commonly available travel trailer item? If so, would you have a part # or source?

I'm going to have lots of questions as I go, so bear with me. I have other things going on besides Spot! Like Nine Lives. She just got fresh deck paint Sunday a.m., and needs to be rigged to fly over the water!

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9lives.jpg (47.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #17

SUN #1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Frank,

The only welding that should have been done is tack welds where the seat touches the axle tube. It was not supposed to be a complete weld across the entire arc of the seat. And there is not supposed to be any additional welding elsewhere in the conversion.

There should be a ton of info for you in the Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - Sunline Axles and Running Gear section of our Files area including the instruction sheet on the Over/Under Conversion.
Okay Steve, thanks. If the seat just needs to be tacked, I can do that with my mig. Dexter's instructions for their overslung/underslung kits gives me the info I need.

When I go to that link you posted, I get stuff on the 1st page, but nothing pages 2-9. Weird.

I'll try and pull the axle this week, make sure it's 1 3/4" diameter with 1 3/4" wide springs and I'll be good to go. Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #18

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
When I go to that link you posted, I get stuff on the 1st page, but nothing pages 2-9. Weird.
That is some kind of glitch with the forum software, there are not enough files to even fill one page in the Brakes and Axles section.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #19

SUN #1953
Whew! Thanks Steve, I was worried.

I need to spend more time with all the resources on this site before asking too many more questions!

Frank
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #20

SUN #1953
Am I ever having a go-around with seals for these hubs!

I can't even begin to tell you how many hubs I have rebuilt. Usually it's all I can do to get the seals out. Boy, not in this case. The first one came right out with hardly any pressure on the screwdriver at all. I pulled the other hub this morning before coming into work, and thought I would try a little experiment. I got the tip of my forefinger in as much as I could between the seal and the bearing and popped it out with my finger! Gee.

So yesterday the local NAPA guy tells me 16074-224 (number on the original seal) interchanges to 14840, so I order a couple of those. After pulling one out with my finger this morning, I thought maybe ordering replacements wasn't such a great idea, especially given the amount of grease leaking out the back of both hubs. So I search on the net for hub repair kits for 1 1/16" axles and come up with an interchange for the seal to NAPA of 29676. So I call NAPA and ask if they could tell me what seal goes with 1 1/16" hub rebuild kits. Oh good, there's two - 12404 and 17146. So here's the deal - NAPA is ordering me pairs of all these numbers. I WILL figure this out. I'm pretty sure I am not going to be putting direct replacement seals (14840) back in.

Whatever I come up with I'll post. You never know, someone else may run into a similar problem.

Frank